Author Topic: Bat in a Yak...  (Read 543 times)

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
Bat in a Yak...
« on: April 22, 2002, 08:36:15 AM »
I've been flying it and I like it. Any hardcore YAK sticks out there?

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Bat in a Yak...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2002, 09:12:31 AM »
Lots of em but they tend to be stealth players.

Go out, get one or 2 kills, RTB, & go do it again.

IMO all the russian fighters are fun to fly.

Offline bikekil

• Gold Member
Bat in a Yak...
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2002, 09:44:18 AM »
yup! Yak9U is my favourite bird here :cool:
you have to get close to target and be accurate to effective in it... so no spraying around :D

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
Bat in a Yak...
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2002, 10:39:45 AM »
Yea...I can get anywhere from 1 to 3 kills in it so far. I tend to stick w/the E fighting concept w/it and I stay fast. I havent tried alot of T&B w/it so far.

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline Apar

• Silver Member
Bat in a Yak...
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2002, 10:47:24 AM »
Fariz and Orel are very good Yak pilots

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Bat in a Yak...
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2002, 11:06:02 AM »
Yak-9U is one of my favorite rides.  Fast and maneuverable at MA altitudes, good acceleration, great visibility, centerline guns, small target, and plenty of fuel for its ammo load.  All you need is a little patience in your trigger finger.   :)
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline bikekil

• Gold Member
Bat in a Yak...
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2002, 01:53:41 PM »
this bird CAN turn well Bat. Don't follow Spit's in it, but you can turn and still keep it fast! if you do it right - you win :D

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Bat in a Yak...
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2002, 02:36:23 PM »
Originally posted by bike killa
this bird CAN turn well Bat. Don't follow Spit's in it, but you can turn and still keep it fast! if you do it right - you win :D

Likewise, the Yak-9T is fun too. No, it's not as fast as the 9U, but it does turn well. It's most endearing trait is that monster 37mm cannon. One hit is all you need to kill any fighter. Two or three will kill any bomber. I suppose the secret to success is the same as that required for the 9U. Horde your ammunition, take only high percentage shots. However, you can plink away with the MGs to set up the cannon. A good marksman can run up an impressive score in the 9T. Unlike the 9U, you do not have a huge reserve of power to escape, so careful engagement planning is a must. Nonetheless, I managed to maintain a 4.6:1 K/D in the 9T in my second tour. That reflects the power of the cannon far more than my skill.

I'd love for someone to pick the Yak-9T for Wild Wednesday. I'd show up for that one.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Mino

• Copper Member
Bat in a Yak...
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2002, 04:13:02 PM »
6 kills is my record.....

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Bat in a Yak...
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2002, 04:34:16 PM »
Originally posted by Mino

I took up a Yak-9U last evening. Managed 9 kills for three losses.
The losses amounted to one to a field ack, one to a PT (I was chasing 190s and F4Us on the deck and they were using the PTs to cover their cowardly butts. No matter, I got one anyway). My third loss came after a 6 kill sortie. I had knocked off a Lanc (after rearming), but he got my radiator. So, the engine quit and I had to glide back to the field. On short final, everything down, deadstick, that master of opportunity, Fester, made an HO pass.
I fired what little ammo I had left (15 rnds MG), but was essentially defenseless and crashed. Fester disappeared immediately, so I suppose the acks got him. I was annoyed at first, but honestly, I'd have done the same thing. :D Fester, .

Anyway, I had fun with the 9U, and it made me exercise more discipline with my ammo.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Eaglecz

• Nickel Member
Bat in a Yak...
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2002, 07:59:34 AM »
hello xBat

if you are interesting in Yakking, we can make some fun ride, like we did in p38 between A9 and A10 few months ago :)

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
Bat in a Yak...
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2002, 09:10:35 AM »
LOL..aye Orel! I remember that I think. THAT was fun. I'll be up in my YAK so look for me online. I'm flying it as an E/angles fighter and doing pretty well in it. When I see the "red" hoard zeroing in on me... I run errrr extend,lol.

YAK is my new BATMOBILE and its SWEEEET.

xBAT

AKDejaVu

Offline Duedel

• Silver Member
Bat in a Yak...
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2002, 03:00:57 AM »
The Yak gives me self-confidence, more like other planes. U can use it like an E fighter or depending on your opponent as an angles fighter. IMO it's the best overall plane even better than La7 (this is my feeling)!
If u like to reload every 20 minutes cause ur out of fuel and if u like to follow the bogey at d=150 to get ur shot (cause u only have a few rounds) the Yak is the choice.
As i said before if u engage a con first use it as an E fighter, try energy conserving B&Z manoeuvers and than where other e fighters like FW190... have to break of and grab alt again u in ur Yak can start a funny T&B. This is why i like the Yak very much u don't have to be Mr. E in contrast u somtimes can waste ur E without being a sitting duck.

Offline Fester'

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Bat in a Yak...
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2002, 02:22:09 AM »
Yak 9u is the only fighter I fly anymore.  7 kills is my best in it without reloading.

It's an amazingly capable plane with a ton of strengths.  The weakness being the armament and ammo loadout, I generally rtb'd in other rides with the ammo loadout the yak 'starts' with.

3 kills is pretty common before rtb'ing

It's a small target and very slippery, rolling scissors seem to work exceedingly well to displace those who find their way to your tail.

accelleration up the wazoo, this can be used in stall fighting as it recovers very quickly.  I dont recall spits being a huge problem, I get as many of those as any other plane, that can be as much relative ability as anything tho.

Escapability / survivability.  It can get out of bad situations very easily.

I believe the la7 is a tiny bit faster, I've run them down before, but I generally have a bit more e comming into the chase.  However the yak owns the LA if he decides to fight.

Visibility.  Great views, lotta freedom in the cockpit to customize the setup.

Offline Mino

• Copper Member
Bat in a Yak...
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2002, 06:32:39 AM »
Originally posted by Mino

hehe....

6 kills in one sortie.  I love the Yak.