Author Topic: Fleet  (Read 260 times)

Offline astamps

• Zinc Member
Fleet
« on: March 11, 2001, 01:45:00 PM »
AH and the gang have done a super job developing the fleet.  The additional Cruiser and PT Boats are well done.

Wonder if it would be possible to set the turrets in the cruiser up similar to the turret in the Panzer.  Have an optical sight with more range (i.e. 15000yards) etc.  This would make the cruiser a much more tactical weapon.  Could bombard coastal airfields and port with more accuracy.

Also, set up a Gun controller for the CV.

Not knowing anything about programming I just wondered if this could be done without a whole lot of additional work.

Nice upgrade to 1.06 by the way.

Majors

Offline iculus

• Copper Member
Fleet
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2001, 05:16:00 PM »
If you left click (or right click ) on the map while in the gun positions on the cruiser, you will get a range and bearing to that point.  You simply need to match the numbers.  It's kind of hit or miss (no pun intended).  The zoom feature helps as well.

<S>IC

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
Fleet
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2001, 07:26:00 PM »
I've been campaigning to have the naval artillary gun-directing moved to the gun-director towers, along with adding the binocular-type gun-director device used by real ships.  They had range-finding bars on them (and zoom).  Moving the gun director caused a repeater in the gun turret to show the bearing and range the gunnery officer was aiming for.  The gun crews would then train and elevate the guns.

Having the actual gun sight high on the mast gave much better line-of-sight range than what you could get from the turrets themselves.

------------------
Sabre (a.k.a. Rojo)
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline Wegaman

• Zinc Member
Fleet
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2001, 07:45:00 PM »
WAIT A SECOND. U mean while in turret if u click on the map u get a range and bearing. OMG, i never knew. Thanks man.... i was lost. Stupid me stupid me!

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Fleet
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2001, 09:57:00 PM »
Thanks Iculus, never knew that.

Offline BBGunn

• Zinc Member
Fleet
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2001, 12:51:00 AM »
I like the acks on the ships.  Even made some people mad cause I shot them down but is the carrier group taken seriously.  Most of the time they sail along and get bombed and hardly anyone is there to defend.  The new terrain is not very naval with fewer CV's and ports-maybe they'll come back with the island terrain.

Offline air_guard

• Nickel Member
Fleet
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2001, 02:47:00 AM »
lol didnt know the left or right clicks, so thats why somone can pinpoint their shots so good  

airguard

Offline astamps

• Zinc Member
Fleet
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2001, 10:05:00 AM »
I will have to try out the range finder.  Didn't know about that. I don't seem to get into the turret but just next to it. Thanks.

Also, when looking at new aircraft, I wish that AH would take a hard look at the SBD.  Perfect plane for scouting for fleet and also bombing and then spotting for guns.

The fleet aspect of AH is very interesting to me.  A good dimension for the game.

Majors

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Fleet
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2001, 10:28:00 AM »
Wegaman, thought you left AH?

- Westy