Author Topic: Film viewer  (Read 324 times)

Offline -duma-

• Zinc Member
Film viewer
« on: March 11, 2001, 02:16:00 PM »
Have to ask - the film viewer's gone more or less untouched since beta (except for the tragic removal of the 'dropcam' that used to be the F5 key) and it seems to me a lot of improvements could be made to it. Just wondering how many people would feel it important to add one or a few of the following ideas to its capability:

1) Gun-camera. Basically no cockpit and with an adjustable field of view for all those cool-looking WWII esque films. Optional guide lines along the edge (Perhaps customisable like gunsights).

2) Viewing from other aircraft - ability to follow the fight from the other guy's POV. Obviously most flight data would be lost but this would give at least a better impression than we have now of how the other guy managed it.

3) Fully movable dropcam - with ability to 'padlock' an aircraft so that the camera keeps it centred. Infinite zoom capability. Basically the way the camera works in the terrain editor with a few extra touches.

4) Altitude / Airspeed, G-meter and acceleration graphs - show what maneuvers are losing you the advantage.

5) FULL SOUNDS.

6) Visible explosions for rockets, bombs etc. (No more rockets-going-through-ground).

1 is the most important one for me, and the simplest to implement.  

Offline Graywolf

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.flibble.org/~tim
Film viewer
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2001, 10:24:00 PM »

Give me number 3 please.

Oddly enough mainly to watch my crash^W landings so I can (hopefully improve them a little.

------------------
Graywolfe <tim@flibble.org>

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Film viewer
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2001, 10:55:00 PM »
Good ideas. I'd also like the ability to splice or edit films.

Think HiTech knows how to make film utilties?

Offline wolf37

• Copper Member
Film viewer
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2001, 11:02:00 PM »
a candy counter to get pop and popcorn for when watching the films.  

------------------
wolf37
C.O.
THUNDER BIRDS

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Film viewer
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2001, 11:27:00 PM »
Just tonight I made a very historical interception of an Arado in a P51D.  The Arado was coming at A24 from the N.  Straight and level at about 22k.  I was E of A24 at about 24k.  Saw the dot long before the ID.  The Arado continued on a predictable path as I made WEP for closure.  Cockpit began vibrating as I closed at a surprising speed.  Closed and began firing at about 600 and the Arado disintegated at about 400.

Why do I tell this story?

BECAUSE I DIDNT HAVE FILM ON!!!!!

Give us the ability to have film automatically cycle on when guns are fired!

Yeager
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

funked

Film viewer
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2001, 11:31:00 PM »
Gun Camera
Gun Camera
Gun Camera

Please just give us the simple utility that most WW2 pilots had!

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
      • http://www.56thfightergroup.com
Film viewer
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2001, 11:33:00 PM »
I really like the fully movable drop cam idea.  Also in this mode if not using padlock, let the mouse control the view so you can turn the view slowly or quickly... this lets you have much finer control than the arrow keys.   Also much needed would be function to crop boring sections of film from beginning and end of long ahf files.

And last but not least, show squad nose art and external stores on my plane in the film please.  

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Film viewer
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2001, 12:05:00 AM »
Personally I am for all suggestions but the ability to see it from the other guys point of view.

Don't want film camera to reveal how the other guy does it - that should be learned by the individual person, and that way we can all keep our small little tricks to ourselves, sharing them when we want to  .

------------------
Baron Claus "StSanta" Von Ribbentroppen
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

"Live to pull, pull to live"

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
Film viewer
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2001, 12:32:00 AM »
Don't worry StSanta: since the film viewer records what *you* saw, and not what the other pilot actually saw at their end, seeing things from their cockpit but with your positional data would be largely useless for trying to learn their tricks - no instruments would work, positioning would be all out of whack, etc...

Offline leon

• Zinc Member
Film viewer
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2001, 05:13:00 AM »
Agree with author on all points. The film viewer improvement will help a lot to learn and document the cases actually happenning during gameplay.

Leon