Author Topic: Cardinals Draft New Rules  (Read 741 times)

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
Cardinals Draft New Rules
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2002, 10:37:16 AM »
There might be some valid points here, Eagler.

Think back to when you were an adolescent. Were you in a constant state of mortal sin like I was? :rolleyes:

Pitting a priest's faith against a constant barrage of phyisical human nature seems like a set-up for failure...
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2002, 10:45:47 AM »
Eagler, I am not sure your priest will not 'know God' better than you, even if he abstains from sex and devotes himself to him, I think

Sure, it'd give him more time with God but...

But why not just let him study the bible harder and more (most priests do little formal studies beyond their 'degree'.)? Most of their time is spent doing other things. Priests at least in the Lutheran faith do lots and lots more than just read the bible or perform some ritual.

What do you want from a priest? I suppose you want him to be knowledgeable about the Bible and Christian traditions and rituals. To follow the words in the bible and be a moral compass, an example, if you will. To, through his knowledge of the bible, guide others towards a more Christian way and help through the teachings of Jesus.

All these things can be done without giving up sex or other pleasures.

If you look at the top of most things, the elite have sex and do other fun things. Tennis players have sex, probably. Scholars and scientists have, too.

Sex isn't a sin according to the bible, as long as it is within the bible. I am not sure how the bible treats sex; strictly for reproduction, or a source of pleasure? I know that some interpretations of the bible and some faiths are devoid of pleasure, thinking life should not be pleasurable, but rather fully and wholly denoted to God, sinful beings as humans are; to forever work retonement.

It's beside the point, sort of. Oops :D

Eagler, I do  not mean to question *your* beliefs in particular. More, you represent a quite widespread, large group within some Christian faiths. So it's asked more to them than to you, although I would and do appreciate any expalantions or elaborations from you :).

I guess I can see your point about being committed to God, and abstaining from sex is a way to demonstrate commitment. To opress a human desire as strong as the sex drive is a potent symbol of commitment.

Is this it, though? Is it all there is to it?

Input, please :=)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2002, 11:05:55 AM »
William Donohue, president of the Catholic League, states:

Because everyone knows, everyone knows, most of the cases we’re talking about is the guys putting their hands on the guys, not on the girls. And over 90% of them are not putting their hands on minors. They’re putting their hands on adolescents. There’s a word for that. It’s called homosexuality.

You can read the rest of the interview at BeliefNet.
sand

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2002, 11:10:39 AM »
Originally posted by Sandman_SBM

...snip...but one has to wonder why other churches that don't have celibate clergy also don't seem to have the problem with child molestation that the Catholic church has.

Don't be so sure.....

Despite headlines focusing on the priest pedophile problem in the Roman Catholic Church, most American churches being hit with child sexual-abuse allegations are Protestant, and most of the alleged abusers are not clergy or staff, but church volunteers.
These are findings from national surveys by Christian Ministry Resources (CMR), a tax and legal-advice publisher serving more than 75,000 congregations and 1,000 denominational agencies nationwide.

from this Christian Science Monitor article.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2002, 11:19:51 AM »
I wasn't. :D

Thanx for the link.
sand

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2002, 12:36:44 PM »
Me thinks that a spiritual leader should be a little "Holier" than the rest of us in thought and deed.

Yes, abstinence from sex should be a sacrifice of sorts to show one's commitment to his cause. Just as abstinence from gambling, drinking, (put your favorite vice here) are. Yes, sex is a vice. If it controls you and you don't control it - it's a vice in my book.
The energies devoted to sex, in both deed and thought and thought and thought and ... :), for the "Holy" man should be spent in his quest for union with his God.

My understanding is that the Bible and most other major religions dictate sex as procreation not a "do it if feels good" activity.  

Sandman, so any monk/nun is a perv? LOL

Seems the majority of the ones here bashing a priest's celibate lifestyle are the same ones who have bashed religion and God in the past...
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2002, 02:23:10 PM »
Main Entry: per·vert
Pronunciation: p&r-'v&rt
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French pervertir, from Latin pervertere to overturn, corrupt, pervert, from per- thoroughly + vertere to turn -- more at PER-, WORTH
Date: 14th century
1 a : to cause to turn aside or away from what is good or true or morally right : CORRUPT b : to cause to turn aside or away from what is generally done or accepted : MISDIRECT
2 a : to divert to a wrong end or purpose : MISUSE b : to twist the meaning or sense of : MISINTERPRET
synonym see DEBASE
- per·vert·er noun

Obviously, we're not using the same definition. You're using 1A, while I'm using 1B. :D
sand

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
Cardinals Draft New Rules?
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2002, 02:41:41 PM »
I thought the Cardinals drafted Wendell Bryant? Damn, this messes up my whole mock draft!

-Sikboy
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2002, 12:06:13 PM »
Sex is a *vice?*

Man, Eagler, sometimes you make me so worried bro. ;)

I shall have to wield my influence upon you, and lead you away from those dark corners of existence!

I guess it varies from person to person. I'm in control of my sex drive; some others I know aren't.

A Christian friend of mine said to me, sarcastically "yes Claus, anything that is fun is either a vice or a sin according to Christianity".

Good for a laugh, if nothing else :).

Offline weazel

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
why don't they simply make celibacy optional?
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2002, 12:56:11 PM »
Because the perverts like sex with l'il kids, grown ups don't interest catholic clergy.

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2002, 01:41:05 PM »
If the Pope doesn't take a position to defrock and prosecute first time molesters in the priesthood, I'm quitting. I've made up my mind. :mad:

But not to throw the baby out with the bathwater, Eagler; sex is a gift from God, not a vice. Our bodies are designed to enjoy it. Sex is essentially good.

Its only a vice when its perverted, or if you wear pink leather g-strings with metal spike studs (turned inward)  :p
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2002, 02:23:13 PM »
Its only a vice when its perverted, or if you wear pink leather g-strings with metal spike studs (turned inward)

Another Luftwable flame I see.
;)

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2002, 02:39:55 PM »
Where is the pope or the term catholic mentioned in the Bible?

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2002, 02:43:47 PM »
What am I missing here? Aint this stuff against the law? Is it not aiding and abetting to look the other way when the law is broken? I don't understand why they themselves get to choose whether or not to.... hell, forget firing them, how about having them arrested? Are churches excempt from this? Is this a seperation of church and state thing?

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2002, 02:50:02 PM »
Tahgut, nothing wrong with that particular piece of Luftwaffe flying equipment really... but some do think the metal studs are a bit kinky. :rolleyes:

The sharp metal studs are said to instill self discipline, and to improve pin-point concentration during the devastating Luftwaffe attacks.

The pink coloration of the g-string equipment is just for that little extra dash of panache... I think.

:D