Author Topic: One Arado, One Engine and Low Fuel....  (Read 288 times)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
One Arado, One Engine and Low Fuel....
« on: March 12, 2001, 02:10:00 AM »
I've got to share this with you guys, since as you all know, explaining an incredible mission with your coworkers leads them to thinking you are a kook....

Anyways, I've only got 80 bomber perk points so I can finally fly the Arado.  With so few points, you have to be careful.  If you crash or get shot down, you're back to working for those points again.  So, flying the Arado reminds me of driving Dad's car when I was in high school.  One ding and no more driving for a while!

So, I'm pondering bedtime and figure I'll ask if anyone is up for an Arado raid to slow the Bish attack on our port.  A couple of guys are interested and once we figure out where to roll from and what base to hit (42), a few of us get rolling.  Once we're up, 2 bow out since they chose too little fuel.  So its just Dumas, myself and Paxil.  We're heavy with 100% fuel and the 500kg bombs.  We peak out at 17k and make our way in.  vfGhosty is watching out for us as top cover and nails a con heading in our way.  We agree that if any cons get too close, jettison and abort.

About 15 miles to target, Dumas spots 4 cons coming at us and aborts.  Im 1k behind him and jettison my eggs too, speed up and enter a climbing turn behind him while our guys go after the cons.  Just as I'm leveling out to gain speed (i was doing 300), I see tracer fire overhead and REAL close.  I immediately nose down to gain speed but I hear the pings already.  Engine 2 is down and 2 fuel tanks are hit.  Black and white smoke are everywhere and I manage to outspeed the P-51s, dropping from 17k to 12k quickly.

Now what!  Ugh!  My hard earned perk points!  How am I going to get this thing home!  The closest base has red contacts on and near it, and I dont know how much fuel I'm venting to make the next.  Dumas suggests the same field I was considering and I pull throttle back a bit and note I am 25 miles away from the closest base.  I review the damage report.  Engine 2 is red, as is oil, and 2 fuel tanks (aux and right fuel).  Great.  Between what Im burning up and venting, I wonder how far Ill get.  However, even with one engine, I still have a lot of gas so as long as I hang onto my altitude and airspeed, I should be ok.

Well, I was worried about nothing, before I know it, Im approaching the field.  I extend my downwind so I can bleed off the 11k of altitude.  Once Ive done a few turns and slowed to 190, I dump flaps and get the gear out.  Thinking I am still a wee too hi, I lower the nose and dump more flaps so I wont overshoot the field.  I check fuel and I have one tank left, at 25%.  Maybe enough for a go around, but with one engine?  Dont think so.  

So Im about a mile out and notice I am falling short of the runway.  I apply more power...nada.  I retract some flaps, since full flaps are causing more drag than lift.  Bingo, that helps....but we're still sinkng well short of the field.  I roll full power on my one good engine and I can *barely* hold 125mph or so.  Im able to HOLD altitude but cant climb.  And, with one engine, Im YAWWING off the left side of the runway I am aiming for.  Doh!  But its not as bad as I though...I duck between the rearm building and maproom...landing on the grass...once slowed, I coast back onto the runway and come to a halt.  Knowing all the problems Wobble has had, I cringe at shutting down...will I have my perk points or will they go bye bye?  Carefully I type ".ef" on the runway and go to the tower.  I then check my points.  80!  Didnt loose them.  Woohoo!

So that's my story....I wish I'd taken some screenshots but I was busy flying the problem, so to speak.  Dumas was kind enough to follow me in, wonder if he got any?  

Anyways, one engine, low gas Arado is a REAL challenge to land.  Can't wait to fly more tomorrow!

------------------
Paul J. Busiere

Aces High Arena handle:  BD5Pilot
 http://bd5.checksix.net
BD-5 "T" (TurboProp) 90% complete, first flight in 2001 (We hope!)

[This message has been edited by LePaul (edited 03-12-2001).]

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2001, 02:48:00 AM »
Landng the Arado is great fun ! It's like trying to land a big Boeing bird  

Who's goin' to be the 1st to make "inverted hangar passes" with it ?  

Thinking about it, I think Duma already has...

------------------
MASS/SAW

click  HERE for info on III./JG 5 Eismeer

When I was younger I hated going to weddings.
It seemed that all of my aunts and the grandmotherly types used to  come up to me, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next."

They stopped that stuff after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 03-12-2001).]
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2001, 07:14:00 AM »
Heh.

I've done rightside up passes with it.  However, I was trying inverted passes in the TA, and it doesn't seem to have enough elevator authority to pull it off.  Maybe I'll try trimming the snot out of it manually, but it doesn't look good.  

------------------
Sean "Lephturn" Conrad - Aces High Chief Trainer

A proud member of the mighty Flying Pigs
http://www.flyingpigs.com

Check out Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH articles and training info!

PakRat

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2001, 08:12:00 AM »
Great story LePaul!

If you are craving the condescention of your co-workers... (Um, that Paul guy over in the cubicle there - he's a bit hung up on computer games, don't you think? Sad to see someone waste their life like that. His poor wife and family. Oh, by the way, did you see those lesbians on Jerry Springer last night? Hubba hubba!)

------------------
Rape, pillage, then burn...

Offline marcof

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2001, 08:56:00 AM »
Great Story, but sorry for asking why do you have to type ".ef" when landed at base?
Thanks ,
Marcof.

Offline Trell

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2001, 09:25:00 AM »
.ef does the same thing as clicking on the tower button on the clipboard

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2001, 01:40:00 PM »
Thanks PakRat...it was one helluva mission. No perk points, no bomb hits or the like.  Just an amazing tale of trying to salvage this jet back to base, and live to fly it again!

------------------
Paul J. Busiere

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2001, 02:02:00 PM »
great story  
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline DB603

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2001, 02:12:00 PM »
S!

Great story and describes well the exitement of flying this bomber.I tested it today for the first time as we took off with 3 Arado's from A48 and headed to the sea and gained alt.After a while we turned for the A30 and bombed the VH and other facilities.Not a single ftr opposed us.But the real "kicker" was when I was landing the kite.Just prior touch down after a carefully done approac I got the dreaded DISCONNECTED FROM HOST-error..Darn was I mad!!There went 70 points down the drain...PingPlotter showed lag of excess 2 secs!And before the Arado-mission it had been merely 160ms (overseas,Europe).Does these kind of occasions p**s You off or what..?!?!Oh well.Interesting ride anyway.

------------------
DB603
3.Lentue
Lentolaivue 34

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2001, 03:02:00 PM »
I've been lucky with this cable modem, but I did have a heart stopper.  I was in the hangar outfitting the Arado for a mission, and noted I couldnt toggle weapons, like I was hung...then, the big "Host Connection Lost" appeared.  PHEW!  Had that happened a few seconds later, I woulda punted my kitty across the room!  

The Arado is challenging.  Anyone else getting massive shaking when nosing down to accelerate to 400mph + ?  No flaps, no bombs, started with 75% gas.  Doesnt do it to me in the training room, just in the Main Arena (where it counts!)

------------------
Paul J. Busiere

Offline wolf37

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2001, 05:27:00 PM »
LOL@LePaul....kitty wall paper

------------------
wolf37
C.O.
THUNDER BIRDS

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2001, 06:09:00 PM »
Great read BD5!! Really enjoyed it! <S>  

------------------------
CM daddog
332nd Flying Mongrels

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes.
That way, if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away - and barefoot.

[This message has been edited by daddog (edited 03-12-2001).]
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure