Author Topic: Why I (personally) feel the CT is a failure  (Read 1719 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Why I (personally) feel the CT is a failure
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2002, 08:14:06 AM »
Interesting to see so many different views of what the CT is!

Practice/mini MA, a place to go to furball, etc.

For me, its the WB HA - historical planesets in historical terrains, low icons and radar settings.   It gives me the kind of immersion I can't get in the MA.   So you'll see our squad in there trying to fly realistically and flying to RTB after the mission.

Keiran - to each his own, bro'!   I'll rev too, but I need lots of space to get that Hawg safely pointed in the other direction right now.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2002, 08:56:27 AM »
I've flown 3 separate times in the CT for at least 2.5 hours total, and I STILL don't have enough points for a niki.

Plus the numbers overall have been down all week.

CT staff can't you come up with a PTO setup that isn't all US hvy Iron & fast planes?

Perhaps a IJN vs British setup with spits & hurri's where a IJN plane has a equal chance?

Yes I know you have to work with the planes we have and yes I know the IJN needs SEVERAL.

However the key is BALANCE!

The last 2 PTO setups IMO have showed none.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2002, 09:30:31 AM »
You know, an Indonesian theatre would pit Hurris and Spits against Zekes and Ki's. That wouldn't be bad, would it?

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2002, 10:16:21 AM »
Wow, that sounds fun kieran

As far as squad night last night and A21.  I made the mission, and had no clue about the defense fighters at a21.  I have three responses to some of the whining ;).

1.  Dont up from a base that has 8 f6fs, +3 f4us incoming.  The fact that you couldnt, apparently saved you from yourself.  Up from a rearward base and come in with energy, and friends which most of the IJN did, and they seemed to have a ball.

2.  What the hell did you guys take it for?  I assumed there was a reason since you had captured it.

3.  You should have seen some of our choices for initial targets!

oh and by the way, the p38 is perked.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2002, 10:49:20 AM »
that's funny Urchin...  the times I've flown the CT this setup I had to fly Allied to keep the numbers balanced.  *shrugs*  guess it depends on when you log in.

Oh, and I'd love to see a Zeke ace take you up on your claim.  Dunno who the best Zeke pilot is though, definitely isn't me.  :p
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Re: Why I (personally) feel the CT is a failure
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2002, 11:49:01 AM »
Originally posted by Preon1
Actually oldman, I was thinking about starting to hold squadron practice in the CT because of the low intensity combat.  Most of the pilots in my squad aren't very practiced so the first thing we'd probably do is milkrun a base with no opposition just so everyone gets a chance to practice it before we go after a REAL target.  Hopefully you count that as a decent excuse.

As I said, any way to get more people in is fine by me.  

Last night's squad, by Oboe's boast and my personal observation, was not a collection of cherries, so I still consider their ganging milkrun to have been lame, though.

- Oldman

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2002, 11:52:26 AM »
Originally posted by ergRTC
As far as squad night last night and A21.  I made the mission, and had no clue about the defense fighters at a21.

Diggit.  Actually, I don't suppose there's any way to know, from the other side.  I still haven't figured out the raison d'etre for these neutered bases.

- Oldman

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2002, 02:49:18 PM »
I was on last night Urchin.  In fact, I might of been the one you seen getting BnZed.  Once you get down on the deck with the IJN planes it is hard to get altitude again, so you spend the entire time avoiding rather than fighting.  :)

It OK, I really like the CT, regardless of numbers.  :)

My computrer froze right after that and I just decided to sign off for the night.

:(
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2002, 03:03:14 PM »
its a three side map with only 2 countries active. read the motd when you enter the click on names on the clip board and you will see what base belongs to which country.

If you are attacking the country that has flight disabled then you will get no resistance :)

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2002, 03:39:08 PM »
Wotan I dont think a21 is neutral.  I think it is a knit base that was rook when we logged on.  THus they could not up fighters.  I guess it is supposed  to make it harder to 'run the map'. I dont know for sure though, as I never tried to up from it when we captured.

HEHE trust me we were eyeing what we thought was a rook base for  alittle while, till we realized that it was a bish base "above the line" over on the east side.  I have made that mistake before and do not plan to repeat it!

One of the main reasons to fly squad in CT is that unless you feel like working with the socrates types in MA it is very difficult to accomplish anything.  Even then it is tough since any attempt to take a base causes a mass attack response from the enemy.  None of which I find to be fun.

Offline Jaekart

• Copper Member
Clarification of Mission
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2002, 09:30:54 AM »
Since Our Squad, VF-27 "Hellcats", is an CT only Squad, we do what we can to make the CT fun for everybody.  While we need no defense for our actions, I am willing to state a few facts concerning the "Thurday Nite Imbalance" that Occured.

1st, as our Squadron Intell Officer, one of my duties is to check out the CT situation prior to our Squad time begginning at 9 PM CST, 10 PM EST.  My normal log time is 2 to 3 hours prior, in order to see where any of the CV's we fly from are located, and attempt to put them into an "Open Water" location vs parked next to an Enemy Base just offshore.

2nd, On logging in, I found CV 18 heavily engaged to the NW, while CV 15 and CV 35 had been moved to the south, apparently in an effort to attack the neutral Bishop territory. ( I say this due to the fact that where they were located, there were no Rook bases closer that a 45 minute flight time away.)  Looking over the Map, I saw 2 possibilities for Missions to be flown by our Squad.  One was to travel up the Bishop East Coast and attack the Rook Bases on the East of the island. The other was to reverse their courses and send them to the NW.  Initially, My thoughts were to go up the East side.  This turned out to be a mistake, as doing a map search showed the only bases we could reach would be Bishop, Not Rook.  In Conference with some fellow Squadmates, it was decided that an effort to retake A21 and A20 was a good choice.

3rd,  I had no idea at the time that IJ planes could not fly from A21, as I had flown IJ from there numerous times during the week. {Most of the VF-27 DO fly for the short side when not Involved in Squadron Activities. }  Maybe that is something the CM's changed, or was just a bug.  I have no idea as to why IJ planes got disabled from A21, at the time in question.  So we planned a coordinated Mission, using CV's 15 and 35, and A12 and A19, fully expecting opposition to develope from A21 and A20.

4th, While planning the Mission, I noticed jarbo and sehob discussing an attack on A21 on the country channel.  I informed them that the VF-27 had a Squadron Mission in the Planner for A21 and A20.  ergRTC set the Mission up, leaving room for other Pilots to Join, if they desired to.  I was asked if there was room in the Mission for the "Buccaneers" to join in the Mission, and told them " sure, we left lots of slots".  While we were in the planning stages of the Mission, the sides were not terribly imbalanced, as some good fights were ongoing at various places around the Map.

5th  The "Hellcats" normally begin our Squad activities with an "Alpha Strike", using all USN planes available to Us.  We Paint a rather large BarDar picture when We launch a Mission, giving any Opposition Country Pilots that care to look at their clipboard, the information that a Large Force is available for a Fight.  MILKRUNNING IS NOT AND NEVER HAS BEEN A SQUADRON ACTIVITY WE ENGAGE IN.  If No Enemy forces up to engage us, we complete our current Mission, and then look for the action wherever it is.

These are the facts concerning the Night in question.  When We spend the time and effort to to look around the map, check out the Strategic Situation, and formulate a plan of Action as a Squadron, so that we may have an enjoyable Squad Time, We are going to Complete Our Mission, to the Best of Our Abilities.   Somebody taunting Us on the Text Buffer, is not and never will be a valid reason to just Chuck a Plan out the window and go play their Game.  A few of our more "hotheaded" Pilots really wanted to go get Urchin, yet Squadron Discipline prevailed and they Continued on their assigned Mission.

For those that know Us, and Fly and Fight Against Us, .  For those that desire to complain and whine because we want to enjoy ourselves, As a Group, with Often Published Times, all I have to say about it is this.  Fly whatever Arena turnes you on and you can have the most fun for your Money.  Don't expect Us to stop having Our fun, so that YOU can have Yours.

Offline bowser

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2002, 09:55:42 AM »
^
Is this guy serious...an Intel Officer?   I knew a few people took this GAME a little serious but...

bowser

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2002, 10:41:04 AM »
bowser you ever been in a squad?  For a bunch of guys that fly not so often it is very important to have an 'intel office' so that when we all show up 10 minutes to squad time, somebody knows what is going on!

Offline ZOSO

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2002, 10:51:31 AM »
Bowser, if you aren't at least a little serious about winning, you'll end up losing.  Surely you can see that.

From what I've seen these guys are a class act both in the arena and here on the boards.  We could use more squadrons like them.   Hellcats

Offline Jaekart

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2002, 12:32:30 PM »
Thank You ZOSO, for the Compliment.

We, the VF-27 "Hellcats", as a Squadron, Welcome any and all Pilots that fly in the CT, on Tuesday and Thursday, to fly with Us, or Against Us.  To the best of our abilities, We Fly with the Tactics and Stratigies that were used in the PTO in WWII.  We Fly as a Team, an Organized Unit. :)  As a Squadron, We Intend to OWN  any airspace we are operating within.:D

Come one, come all.  Other Squadrons, the "Assasins" in particular, have handed us our behinds on a platter, more than once.  Win or Lose, Our Goal is to have FUN, and We do Our best not to Complain or Whine, even when We Don't get to Fly our Prefered Aircraft or use our Prefered Tactics, due to them not being used in a particular Ct set-up.  We just go ahead and use whatever is there, and have as much fun as we can, whatever the current scenario is.

CM's, We Salute You for your efforts to give us a viable playing field, even when it does not support a Naval Unit.

MapMakers, NUTTZ in Particular, The Largest SALUTE I can give goes to You as well.  Our fun would be less, or non-existant, without your efforts.