Author Topic: Pontoon Bridges?  (Read 628 times)

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
Pontoon Bridges?
« on: April 11, 2002, 12:28:55 PM »
Would it be possible to use barge objects and re-arm pad objects to construct a “pontoon bridge”?  These were basically sealed boxes or drums with “marston mat” strapped across them.  Since by definition pontoon brides can’t be driven, sailed, or flown under, and the marston mat was see-through, this negates some of the objections HTC has regarding other bridge designs put forth by the terrain-building community.  The hard part would be the transitions to land on either end.  As pontoon bridges were only used for shallow-bank areas, the vertical transition would be very modest.  The trick would be insuring that the slop of the bank at the anchor points of each side gives a rise equal to the height of the “pontoons.”  That way all the transition re-arm pads (the pad at either end that touches the land) could remain absolutely horizontal. The bridge would also be destroyable.  Any thoughts?  Anyone try one of these?
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Pontoon Bridges?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2002, 02:31:48 PM »
Been there done that, it works!

Just as you described, you stop , you have an unlimited supply of ammo:(

NUTTZ

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
Pontoon Bridges?
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2002, 03:46:41 PM »
Dooh!  Now that you mention it Nuttz, I recall that problem being discussed (endless rearming, that is).  Hmm...I thought you'ld found a way around that.  Sundog and I are working on a terrain project that could really be enhanced with the addition of bridges (gee, I've heard that comment before).  So tell me, if a PT boat comes along and blows a section of the pontoon bridge, can the boat then drive through the spot where the destroyed section was?  Academic, I suppose, as the endless rearm problem would probably make HTC reluctant to use it in an on-line terrain.  Rats!

Sabre
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
Pontoon Bridges?
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2002, 04:09:41 PM »
maybe we'll get lucky and get bridge shapes in 1.10

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
Pontoon Bridges?
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2002, 09:56:52 PM »
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Pontoon Bridges?
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2002, 05:13:09 PM »
Originally posted by BenDover
maybe we'll get lucky and get bridge shapes in 1.10

Why wait for 1.10 we "could" have them in the next TE release if  HTC had time to add them.

Tilt
Ludere Vincere

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
Pontoon Bridges?
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2002, 05:19:48 PM »
no we couldn't, cos htc would have to add them to the AH app

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Pontoon Bridges?
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2002, 02:53:20 AM »
sabre, i got it to work. E-mail me one day i'll tour you H2h and show you some really stuff:)

NUTTZ

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
      • http://s7.eastlink.ca/~tscott
Pontoon Bridges?
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2002, 08:12:25 PM »
Dooh! Now that you mention it Nuttz, I recall that problem being discussed (endless rearming, that is). Hmm...I thought you'ld found a way around that.  

One way I know is, if you are making a 2 Country war, lets say Bishops against Knights then you can make the Rearm pads belong to Country 3 ( Rooks ).  Any vehicle other than Rooks will not Rearm.

P.S Nuttz! man oh man the Flyers are driving me nuts.  Is it too late to suit up Clarke, Barber, Leach, Dornhoefer, Schultz etc.  Oh ya and I better not forget Bernie Parent, wasn't he a bute even though I don't really think you can blame Cechmanek.  

What a time for everyone to go into a slump.

Pokie

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
Pontoon Bridges?
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2002, 04:46:28 AM »
Originally posted by pokie

P.S Nuttz! man oh man the Flyers are driving me nuts.  Is it too late to suit up Clarke, Barber, Leach, Dornhoefer, Schultz etc.  Oh ya and I better not forget Bernie Parent, wasn't he a bute even though I don't really think you can blame Cechmanek.  

What a time for everyone to go into a slump.

Pokie

huh?

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
      • http://s7.eastlink.ca/~tscott
Pontoon Bridges?
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2002, 09:33:45 AM »
Talking about the NHL playoffs and the Philadelphia Flyers BenDover.  
The last time the Flyers won was 1975 and these were some of the players on the team at the time.

Pokie

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
Pontoon Bridges?
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2002, 10:08:01 AM »
ah