Author Topic: How to even it out?  (Read 386 times)

Offline marcof

• Zinc Member
How to even it out?
« on: March 12, 2001, 04:19:00 PM »
Lots of talk about perk points, and how its unfair for the boys who dont fly so often due to R/L and work etc......

Why not at the start of every tour give everyone 200 perk points, how they spend them or blow them is their own choice, after tour ends points start again at 200 per head.

and You can not carry points over from 1 tour to another.
Now how do you reward good flying and landing kills, well simple you dont loose any points, example.
A p51 pilot lands his plane after 2 kill flight, no points gained or lost, but that same pilot ditches or gets shot down in un perked plane then he looses say 2 perk points etc...
If he gets shot down in perked plane he loses perk points (cost) to fly that perk plane.
Iam sure that someone will point out flaws in this suggestion, however i feel that the fundamental idea is sound,
Marcof.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
How to even it out?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2001, 04:34:00 PM »
Otherwise good, but I don't think that loosing perk points part would work.
Some die more than they kill - they would eventually run into negative perk pts / never get above 10 pts.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
How to even it out?
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2001, 04:40:00 PM »
I don't have a problem with it but I'm sure alot of people would.  I sense quite a few flyers out there who could care less about good flying or landing kills - they just want to get to a fight as quickly as possible and kill as many planes as possible before dying themselves.   I would like a solution that rewards flying to live without punishing the furballers.

Perhaps new accounts (after the two-week free look) should get a couple hundred perk points as a signing up bonus.  It might help the newbies feel less like the deck is stacked against them.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
How to even it out?
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2001, 04:48:00 PM »
Yeah, I don't agree with getting perkies free at the start of a tour, but I do think giving a small bankroll to new signups (after 2-week trial) makes sense.

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
How to even it out?
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2001, 04:53:00 PM »
I'm with SOB.  I like the small bankroll for new paying accounts, but am not for giving them out each tour.

One of the benifits of the perk point system is the requirement that you fly other planes in order to earn the perk planes.  Your plan removes that incentive and promotes a style of flying that many in the arena would find quite boring.

AKDejaVu

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
How to even it out?
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2001, 05:06:00 PM »
 I would say - give a small number of perk points for hours in the air, even if no kills - provided that the sortie was landed.
 That will let everyone have some taste of it and something to look forward for but will not allow people to cheat (start a lengthy flight on autopilot and not land) and will not change the balance significantly.
 It will also make people fly more realistically (try to land) even if no kills were achieved.
 I think that a suicidal newbie desperate for a kill is more dangerous and irritating then the one gaining 2 perk points for an hour of carefull flying.

When I was a newbie in WB and tried to fly to live, I had weeks without kills (lots of fun though). That is more like the real WWII pilot behavior then desperately diving into furbals and spraying around.

miko

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
How to even it out?
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2001, 08:35:00 AM »
Real WW2 pilots flew missions that were often contrary to "flying to live". Many people that "fly to live" do so like that is a military objective. Maybe on the Panama Canal front.
Giving away a ration of perkpoints will only remove the perkpoints primary purpose. To encourage people to fly lower rated planes to get more perk points.
I aggree about he 200 for new accounts. Gotta whet peoples apatites.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
How to even it out?
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2001, 08:40:00 AM »
My suggestion was similiar, but only allowing new players the 200 perkies for marketing reasons.  All others can earn them since they carry from tour to tour (once their initial 200 is either burnt up or saved over)

Sturm

How to even it out?
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2001, 08:45:00 AM »
I hope they decide soon I have 10 days left on my free account.  In the 4 days I have been here it has been absolutey insanely fun.  And have convinced my GF to buy my first 2 months of AH.  Now about those perk points?   -