Author Topic: f6-5 Vs Spit 9  (Read 634 times)

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
f6-5 Vs Spit 9
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2002, 10:25:38 AM »
Yeah, those are them.. There are others that have been posted before by Badboy also.  It clearly shows the SpitIX as having the turn advantage through the entire range of speeds up to about 320mph.  Instantaneous turn rate is the same at Max G (6) but since both planes can pull the same instantaneous turn that area is not that useful without bleeding extra E.  The key is to keep the speeds high since the Spit holds little/no turn-rate advantage over about 315mph.  With a notch of flap you might be able to get the extra little turn you need to get a shot, but you'd better not miss.

This discounts all the ACM stuff you and try, but typically the SpitIX seems to be able to "recover" from most ACM maneuvers far better than a F6F.  Even if you dupe the Spit into overshooting, it will just turn and you can't stay with it most times and you will find yourself slow.

Honestly, give the F6F 2K of alt advantage though and you should be in a good shape to get at least a couple of cracks at shooting down a Spit from an position of advantage, but a Co-E merge is going to give a lot of troubles because it'll all come down to trying to beat out the other guys ACM skills while protecting yourself from his performance advantages.

-Soda
The Assassins.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
f6-5 Vs Spit 9
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2002, 11:44:16 AM »
Lephturn,

Is it possible for you to record some of these maneuvers and post them on your web site? ... or do you already have some film that might demonstrate some of these offensive/defensive techniques.

I read your descriptions and try to visualize, but am not sure if my interpretation/visualization is what you are trying to demonstrate.

Maybe could could use one of your trainers, who would know what you are trying to accomplish and they could provide the right/typical setup.

I think that with the new film viewer, and the angles at which we can view a flight sequence, these types of films would  be a tremendous addition to the AH Training "Camp". These types of films could be viewed prior to requesting some online training so that the flyer has some idea of what they will be trying to accomplish with the trainer.

Just a thought ... thanks for all your input/insight.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
f6-5 Vs Spit 9
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2002, 02:49:30 PM »
Soda,

Well, the real advantage you'll get on the first corner with a Hellcat is because it will bleed E faster than the Spit, so you'll get a tighter radius for about the first full turn from high speed.  Really as you mention, it will come down to pilot skill.

SlapShot,

Yep, good idea.  I've been extremely buys lately, but I'll see if I can get time to film some merges and AVI them.  I spend most of my training sessions teaching folks proper merge techniques.

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
f6-5 Vs Spit 9
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2002, 06:07:38 PM »
Fowler

one thing you could throw in to mix things up is a double immelman. you'll have to be careful in the cat not to pull them too hard or you won't get thru the second - and use a notch of flaps on the second one.

if he pulls the first immelman really hard (which mose people do)you may be able to stall him out  when he trys to follow you into the second.

it's a pretty common  1-1 duel opening move - but he probably won't be expecting it

it will be dangerous against the spit  - but hell if you gettin beat anyway  :)  practice it first off line

go lower than him on the merge to increase speed/zoom. use a lead turn to start your first immelman while he is going for the head on. pull 2 consecutive immelmans without cranking too hard on the stick (soft hands) - track him in your views at all times so you can see his e state etc as you get thru the 2nd immelman find him in your up view and with a bit of luck he maybe directly below you  and stalling out

good luck

Redd

P.S make sure your'e not carrying more than 25% fuel for duelling - especially to try double
I come from a land downunder

Offline Fester'

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
f6-5 Vs Spit 9
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2002, 02:08:25 AM »
Take a 110g2 up and shoot him in the face, that'll learn im :)

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
f6-5 Vs Spit 9
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2002, 02:49:48 PM »
Originally posted by Lephturn
I'll see if I can get time to film some merges and AVI them.  I spend most of my training sessions teaching folks proper merge techniques.

If you leave them as .asf we can view the action from all sides.  Takes up more space, but I'll host them for you if that's an issue.
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
f6-5 Vs Spit 9
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2002, 03:13:04 PM »
AFAIK, the Spitfire Mk XIV is the only Spitfire in Aces High that has a prop that rotates clockwise (so torque/propwash pull to the right).  the Spit I, V, IX and Seafire IIc all have counterclockwise props which pull to the left.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.