Author Topic: Constant crashing/freezing  (Read 266 times)

Offline BotaBing

• Copper Member
Constant crashing/freezing
« on: April 29, 2002, 06:40:29 PM »
Very often when there is a lot of activity, and something happens like I hit the ocean, a plane zooms in on me for a kill, or etc, my computer will simply freeze up with no ability to alt-tab or ctrl-alt-del out, I have to hard crash the computer to restart it.

Ive got a P3-800, 256k ram, geforce2 32mb card.

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2002, 03:22:56 AM »
Your rig sounds more than up to the job. A lot of these problems are sound related. You crash - explosion sound. Guns that kind of thing. Check out your soundcard.  

Post some more info though. I'm no HW guru by any means, but give more info and I'll bet Lephturn will come screaming to your rescue!:D

Offline [Sg]ShotGun

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2002, 12:03:11 AM »
i am in the same boat. but i just installed a nu 512m stick of crucial mem and the probs started. but only with AH. id b online and about 4-6 min later..dump to desktop...put in old corsair 128m mem..no probs...install both 512 and 128...no probs...but now i get freezes...with the last sound xmited repeating.

iv got fans all over the place.  3 on the CUmine 666 OCd to 845 with 130FSB. and then...i have the side of the putor off and an desk fan blowing on the hercules gforce gts2 64m, the sound card and the modem.

i did up the AGP apature from 2x to 4x and got more FPS. but now i have it back to 2, and only had 1 freese about 5 hrs after starting.

all other aspects of the computor work great when using just the 512 stick. but AH dumps to desk top after a few mins.

ur thots?

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2002, 08:28:15 AM »
Guys, please let me know what OS version you are running, if you have a VIA chipset board, what version of the 4-in-1's you have, and most importantly what version of the Detonators you are using.  Often "later" models of the Detonators will be less stable than some of the earlier models.

Also, if you are overclocking anything at all, the first thing you should try is turning it all back to stock speed.  AH puts more load on certain parts and areas in the CPU (notably the FPU) than other games or apps.  Turn the OC down to stock and try AH.  If that works, you can start slowly ramping the OC back up until you find the stable spot.  If it works at stock speed, you know the problem is with the OC stability and you can work from there.

Offline [Sg]ShotGun

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2002, 08:32:12 PM »
im using win98se on a asus p3v4x.
not using 4n1s, using latest drivers from herc web site. dont use det drivers...

but all this seems mute since i had no probs b4 i installed nu mem. so its the mem..right?

i have nothig fancy in setup..using bios defaults. CAS timings are 3.

how bout reinstalling AH?

Offline blackfalcon4

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2002, 08:17:27 AM »
YOYO,

Win98se only supports 512mb ram max.
 Also, certain motherboards support only certain kinda ram in certain slots, check your mobo manual.

Also, check your bios settings for your ram, is it set auto or manual?, cas 2 or 3?  Mostly these settings only effect performance but I've seen some different effects depending on mobo config.

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2002, 09:02:57 AM »
I too had several lockups after I changed the old geforce2MX in.
Even though I was using W2k the computer locked up so bad that it had to be reset in order to work.

After I changed AHsound to use 'wave' and updated the version of detonators, I could play virtually problem free.. I'm not exactly sure which was the problem in the end but I think the stability improved after I switched AHsound to use Wave in. I've heard that in some boxes that actually causes crashes but in my case the effect was positive.