Author Topic: Belarc Diagnostic tool - highly recommended  (Read 1427 times)

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Belarc Diagnostic tool - highly recommended
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2002, 06:23:46 AM »
The highest temperature I've ever seen was 67°, which was immediately following an Aces High session shooting down N1Ks. I don't run anything more stressful than that. Besides, the Asus icon in the tray lights up to alert of a problem, and that has never happened.

Believe me, I've read all I can about this - from the Asus website, the AMD website, from various individuals - but can find nothing to indicate any problem. As for my warranty, if it's a one year warranty, that time has already passed.

By the way, on the mobo there IS a clear CMOS facility - you have to short out two solder points with the PC swiched off and disconnected. That clears the password (if one has been assigned) and probably restores ALL CMOS defaults. That's not what I wanted to do. I wanted only to revert to a valid CPU speed.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2002, 06:29:01 AM »
I changed it before I realised the clock multiplier was set to 12.

In most cases the multiplier is hard coded inside the cpu and you can't change it from bios.

Some rare cpu's like Athlon 1400 are multiplier unlocked though. To older athlons you needed a device called gold finger in order to change the multiplier, newer athlons need just a couple bridges connected on top of the cpu. Those bridges are very tiny however so its not too easy.

So my guess is that you can't change the multiplier on your cpu even if you want to and therefore if it now runs at its spec speed at 1.2ghz and 100fsb, it's not meant to be run with 133 at all.

However if you put a badass cooler and increase the drive voltage you may reach that 133Mhz anyway. Remember that whatever you do, it's at your own risk.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2002, 06:33:56 AM »
Also keep in mind that most people think of overclocking when they bother to talk about cpu temperatures. The standard coolers are just efficient enough for the standard use they're built for.

The extreme coolers are for the extreme users who want to tune every last bit of performance out of their computers. If you don't belong in this group, you're just fine with your standard cooling.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2002, 07:26:02 AM »
Looks like my Athlon is one of those rare ones for which the multiplier value is unlocked, and can be set within the BIOS - see page 60. And in my system, the value was set to 12.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2002, 10:01:25 AM »
Beet1e even if the bios has options to change the multiplier, it doesn't automatically mean you can do that. They're there even if the CPU is locked tight.

Only way to find out is to change the multiplier and see if your computer boots to another speed (but if you try, try to lower it not rise it..)

Offline Sac1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2002, 10:11:07 AM »
As the MOBO Turns.

Wow this is great, better then watching Ozzie...........  not that I would.

I had tried over clocking my A7V133 at one time also.  I left the setting on Jumper Free Mode and it would not start.  
As soon as I changed it to one of the other settings it started right into BIOS with the message that things didn't match.  At the time I just went back to the 1400, 133 and jumper free (poetry hmmmmmmmmm).  I also maintain the high performance I was getting of returning safely 1 out of 23 sorties.

When I saw the picture of the MB I knew it looked familure.  I can tell you I know the cover of the A7V133 pretty good, right side up, upside down,  sideways.  It's the part between the covers that I am clueless about.

Anyway you two keep it up as I am writting a novel which I soon hope to be made into a movie.  Mr. R and B do you have any one you would like to play your parts?

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2002, 02:24:37 PM »
Ripley,

If I'm running at 1.2GHz, that's fine. No need to try to overclock or underclock, whatever. The processor is adequate for AH usage. I don't need to run it on WEP.

Two things that you said don't seem to add up. On the one hand you said it's OK to overclock with a little knowledge blah blah blah, and on the other hand you said "You're also shortening the life of your hardware by running your CPU that hot, even without overclocking it." when I mentioned the idle temperature of 55°.

I'm not being sarcastic, but I have two questions:
  • Which, of these seemingly incongruous statements, is true?
  • And if indeed a temperature of 55° is likely to shorten the life of a processor, can you provide me with any manufacturer's technical data to substantiate this? By that, I mean CPU manufacturer's data which provides the recommended operating parameters within which a CPU should run. I am not interested in finger in the air benchmarks supplied by those PC Geeks supposedly in the know.
sac1 - LOL! I want my part to be played by Anthony Hopkins.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2002, 03:30:25 PM »
Beet1e I was just assuming that your load temperatures would be a lot higher with an idle temp that high..

Athlon has about 80C as the critical limit at which point it starts to take damage. Signs of instability may come earlier though.

I don't recall exact figures right now, but the main principle is the cooler the better.

If you would have read and understood what I wrote you'd gather the following:

Overclocking requires radical changes to the system including CPU voltage increase. That developes a lot of extra heat.

Even if you get a better cooler your CPU will be stressed more which will shorten the life of your CPU. That, however, doesn't matter since you won't be using your CPU that long anyway.

As what goes for the manufacturer, they can not under any circumstances give any guarantee to their equipment if a user is running it out of spec. This is just logical, otherwise they would have to pay every broken piece of hardware that the user broke with faulty settings.

Beet1e I really don't know what you're after with these questions, maybe it would help for you to know anyway that I earlier earned my income administering over a 100 workstations in 3 different cities and now later work as a software trainer / consultant. I'm not a finger in the air PC Geek but a professional.

Offline sirch

• Zinc Member
mobo
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2002, 04:17:24 PM »
Beetie belarc report shows my mobo is an ABIT761-686B(KG7)rev:1.0  The clock speed is currently set at 133mz. My processor is a KMD ATHLON XP.
Thanks

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2002, 04:31:17 PM »
MrRipley!  No need to get willied... :)

Yes, I read about overclocking needing higher voltages to be set, both in your posts and in the Asus mobo manual.

Ripley, I'm not saying that *you* are a geek; I was simply making the point that I am interested only in hard data from the manufacturers, and not overextrapolated nonsense by those with a bit of esoteric knowledge that they hope will make them sound like they know what they're talking about.

I was a programmer for many years - COBOL (later Assembler) on ICL and IBM mainframes. I was a DBA from 1986, first on IBM's IMS database, and more recently on IBM's relational database, DB2. In fact I was a freelance consultant, but the tax measures introduced by Tony Blair's government have made the freelance option unworkable :mad:

Don't forget to advise sac1 of your choice of actor for your part in his forthcoming movie :D

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2002, 04:34:50 PM »
Oh I thought he meant which actors I want 'handling my parts..'

I would have said Aria Giovanni probably :)

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2002, 05:51:22 AM »
sac1 - I think we've finished!  Get those takes over to the cutting room.

Offline sirch

• Zinc Member
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2002, 08:02:51 AM »
Beetie belarc report shows my mobo is an ABIT761-686B(KG7)rev:1.0 The clock speed is currently set at 133mz. My processor is a KMD ATHLON XP.
Thanks

Offline NHMadmax

• Copper Member
      • http://www.mofsw.com
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2002, 09:14:05 AM »
I have tested this and it does not connect to the net. Its only use the web browser to give the report.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2002, 12:04:07 PM »
Sirch,

I had a look at the Abit website and the closest mobo type that I could find, based on your Belarc information, was the KG7. I've downloaded the manual, which seems to cover about three different models, and I'm reading it now.

As to the rest of your spec, I was amazed to see you're still running W98SE! Upgrade to something better! If you've got W2000, use that. I use W-ME because there's a problem for my stick drivers on 2000. I've never had a problem with ME, but bloom 25 doesn't like it :)

One thing I do notice about your Belarc report is that the BIOS you have there is out of date. There have been at least three updates since your version (08/10/2001 - August 10 or October 8?) and the latest BIOS updates relate to providing support for the Athlon XP processor which you have. I would recommend downloading the latest BIOS upgrade and applying it using the Flash Update procedure. That should solve some of the problems you are having. If you've never done a flash update of the BIOS before, let me know, and I will help you. It's not something you want to cock up.

In the meantime, I'm reading your mobo manual about the clock settings etc.

See the Abit website page to locate the latest version of the BIOS and also the mobo manual which is in .PDF format.