Author Topic: Four days since release.. ??  (Read 1006 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Four days since release.. ??
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2001, 11:16:00 AM »

Originally posted by AKSeaWulfe:
Skuzzy, what about replacing the grey wall with a dark grey fogging technique (like that used on the horizon)? I'm sure it wouldn't look that bad to most people out there, then again I don't know what, if any, the impact it would have on FPS.

Just a guess. :-)
-SW

I tried that and the problem is you can only use alpha blending when the vertices of the polys are in the same plane of the buffer.
A rather simple explanation:  You see the sky and ground we have, to do the blending you suggest would require putting up another sky and ground poly behind the poly you want to blend.  You would have to as the size of the sky and groun polys are different.  This means 3 frame draws for each frame.  That would simply crash the FPS you have now.
It is a very interesting and challenging problem.

As to what Westy was talking about.  The "grey block" appearing is the poly that was suposed to show the start of the storm front.  Not a bug, but an attempt to show the storm line.
Ever  been in a plane and approaching a storm?  Try to imagine what it would be like to program that and still have get good frame rates.  Very interesting problem.  I love this kind of a challenge.  

------------------
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
President, AppLink Corp.
http://www.applink.net
skuzzy@applink.net
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com