Author Topic: got a new jstick today hitech was right  (Read 2134 times)

Offline JoeMud

• Zinc Member
got a new jstick today hitech was right
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 1999, 07:26:00 PM »
Ive had my ms sidewinder forcefeedback ever since they first came out and I have to say its the best stick ive ever had. And as for that CH stuff I got one of those before I had my ms and I pulled back to hard and the bloody thing broke in half. My 2cents.

------------------
Gijoey,Joetwo,JoeMud=me
 DHBG!!

Offline JoeMud

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 1999, 07:39:00 PM »
oh ya and I had the 3d pro for 3 years before then and it still works good.

------------------
Gijoey,Joetwo,JoeMud=me
 DHBG!!

Oldfella

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 1999, 12:36:00 AM »
I've had a sw3d pro since they came out,
and a sw ff pro since they came out.
I've never had a problem with either.
OLdfella

Hans

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 1999, 02:50:00 AM »
Can't toggle between stick sets?

Hmmm.

TT I don't know what you mean by not toggling between stick sets, but to me it means being able to have a single button on your joystick that you can push to go back and forth between stick set 1 and 2.

You don't need such a button.  There never was.  Not even in Warbirds.

You can program the joystick with the joystick mapper to set this pattern up:

In stick set 1, I have button 4 of my joystick "use stick set 2".

In stick set 2 I have button 4 do the "use stick set 1" command.

The only other differences between the stick sets are the hat buttons.  Stick set 2 they look up at 45 degrees, while stick set 1 looks around on the horizontal plane (up looks straight up of course).

What I want to know is why does the mapper for the keyboard and joystick have a way to push a button to look straight forward?  Doesn't it default to forward view if you don't hold another button down.  In panning mode it makes you look down...and there is another button (keypad 0) that also makes you look down.  Eh?  Just a thought.

One button I do wish we had was a "recenter view" when using the panning view system.  The only way I can figure I could do it would be to use two buttons on the joystick, one to intiate "instant view F9 key" and another to intiate "panning view F8 key".  Just hit instant viewing, then turn panning back on.  Also remap "look back" on the hat switch to "look down".

I had hoped the HOME key would have recentered your view, but all that does is reset your head position, not your direction of view.

I guess it doesn't really bother me.  I prefer the snap view system anyways.

Hans.

Offline phaetn

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dogfighter.com
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 1999, 07:49:00 AM »
Hans, I also explained this but I beleive TT and Yeager are after something else: holding the button goes to Stick Set 2, releasing the button defaults back to Stick Set 1.

Am I correct, TT and Yeager?

Personally, since I didn't use a toggle that way in WB, I can get an identical setup for the two sims.  I map the "shift" key to Numpad 5 within AH and use it to get the up view -- it works like a toggle: hold it and it's up, release it and it's level.  I think the reason for a forward view key is so that two types of forward view can be mapped: default and user defined.  Personally I find the full pan way too slow for combat (but good for other things) so I use the snap pan view.

Regarding MS: while I love to hate huge and monopolistic enterprises, I must say I have had excellent service and reliability from their hardware.  I had a MS 3d Pro for 3 years, no problem; eventually sold it when I got a MS FF Pro.  A friend had a FF Pro that had one base button stuck down so he lent it to me (he had received another one for free as a replacement) to see how I liked it; I enjoyed it so I ordered one from an on-line seller.  In the meantime I contacted MS Canada about possibly getting in touch with someone who could repair the base button (in case it was cheaper).  I explained multiple times that a) it wasn't my stick and b) that it was past its warranty period so I wanted to pay for replacement parts and just needed a name where I could take it to get it serviced.  The rep acknowledged both facts and took my address (I thought to send a new spring etc. for the button) and then told me that they didn't want a product that didn't work on the market and that MS would send me a new one.  Wow.  Sure enough, they did and it has worked very well.

The only complaint I have is that it is too "loose" in WB.  When the plane is slow there is no resistance on the stick and I would like there to still be a little.  I had more control over the plane at low speeds with the non-FF stick, but now that I have  stall buffeting I would never go back.

Oh yeah: it's digital... no need to worry about pots wearing out and it's always calibrated.  I like it very much.  The rudder  on the twist handle (though unrealistic) allows for more precise inputs than I can manage with my clumsy feet on pedals and, besides which, signals from the brain are sent to the hands more quickly than the feet (the reason they are considering hand operated throttle and braking in the future of motorsports).  It won't be called heel and toe (for those that didn't grow up in go karts with left foot braking) but palm and finger...  

The only thing I might like to do is try and hook up a throttle and maybe pedals.  What was the name of that German company again?

[edited for syntax]
Cheers,

[This message has been edited by phaetn (edited 11-05-1999).]

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 1999, 11:43:00 PM »
Heres the url to the company that makes rudder pedals for the MS sticks phaetn...
 http://www.combatsim.com/htm/dec98/pedal-hoff.htm

[This message has been edited by hblair (edited 11-05-1999).]

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 1999, 08:24:00 AM »
I have a set of the Hoffman Simped Digital pedals hooked up to my Sidewinder FF stick.

The pedals are by far the best I've ever owned.  Beautifully smooth, with no pots to wear out (fully digital).

------------------
C.O. Phoenix Squadron
www.users.bigpond.com/afinlayson/index.htm
'feel the heat .......'