Author Topic: Torpedo Question  (Read 340 times)

Offline 28sweep

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Torpedo Question
« on: May 13, 2002, 10:00:43 AM »
I heard on this BB that u can Torpedo a ship easier if line up over the wake and drop ure torpedo into the wake...assuring a dead hit.  Does this work?  If not how do u aim those suckers and survive the flack to get close enough.

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
Torpedo Question
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2002, 11:12:46 AM »
Only torpedo hits I've gotten have been torps i dropped directly in front of ships.

CV's, if they can't actually outrun torpedos, are fast enough that a torp has trouble catching them unless dropped point blank.

I could be wrong.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Torpedo Question
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2002, 03:55:14 PM »
Its possible to make a successful beam attack, but its not easy!

Down the throat is good, up the wake is tough, you have to be so VERY close before you drop, and if someone turns cv forget it.

If anyone is manning 5" guns forget torp attacks period.

If your coming in at 90 degrees, be as low as you can be, below 200 airspeed. I like to jump to ext view, put the tower of the cv on the edge of my monitor. Release not when you see the yellow ack, but when they are raising white waterspouts all around you. Or when you hear the first ping.

ps do a flat rudder turn to exit if you live that long.
Soon as you pull up & around the ack has a MUCH bigger target to hit.

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
Torpedo Question
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2002, 08:53:08 AM »
Originally posted by Ghosth
ps do a flat rudder turn to exit if you live that long.
Soon as you pull up & around the ack has a MUCH bigger target to hit.

And we all know fleet ack NEVER misses... unless you are floating nice and slow in your chute after your plane is chopped up.  

I love doing the Ensign George Gay of Torpedo Eight thing... bobbing in the water as the fleet sweeps past.  Knowing my torpedo will probably miss as the ack spouts all around  :D  Just watching the action.

Good stuff on him at the Navy History site
SkyKnights Fighter Group -CO-
R.I.P.  SKDenny 02/03/1940 - 02/19/2012