Author Topic: The art and science of dragging  (Read 1284 times)

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
The art and science of dragging
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2001, 04:27:00 PM »
You can also use the "dolphin" manuever where you use the quick elevator response of your spitfire, to do a sort of vertical scissors, but keeping your wings parallel to the horizon (personally I hate this manuever, from the attackers perspective, but it is legitamate). IE sharp nose up and down maneuvers.

Ah, the pull n' dump maneuver. Legitimate? I don't know.

I am not sure many pilots in WWII owuld do 5g plus, then 5 g minus, repeat for 10 times without having so many blood vessels explode in their eyes that they couldn't see a thing.

This is one of the more unrealistic maneuvers the current redout/blackout system allows.

I don't like it, and I don't use it. I've seen some that have mastered it though. At some speeds, my 190 will allow me to roll almost with the pull n' dumpers.

I hate the buggers.

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2001, 07:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by Runny:
If it looks like this:
you're doing it wrong.

LOL Runny!  If you were dragging that lot to me I'd be screaming at you on country channel to stay the heck away!  :D

Nice screenie btw.  Did any of em catch ya?

Offline pbirmingham

• Copper Member
      • http://bigscary.com
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2001, 03:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by Blue Mako:

LOL Runny!  If you were dragging that lot to me I'd be screaming at you on country channel to stay the heck away!   :D

Nice screenie btw.  Did any of em catch ya?

The Nik and hog chased me a loooong way, but realized they were getting dragged further and further from the field they were trying to guard, so after several miles, they turned back.

Unfortunately, fuel economy was not on my side, so I had to land deadstick, and was captured.

But yeah, I wouldn't have expected anyone to clear *that* mob off my six.  Too damn many.

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2001, 05:26:00 PM »
Hehe Runny, you'd be surprised how easy it is to clear a mob off someones six.  I've dived in on 6+ cons on my wingmans tail several times.  When they see a pony coming in from high 6 with a tonne of smash they all break turn pretty quickly.  Heck, Wail and I broke up a 20+ plane raid one day, just the two of us.  Got 10+ kills in a few minutes between us, including their goon.  Still have the film...  :D

Offline milnko

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cameltoe.org
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2001, 11:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by Blue Mako:
Hehe Runny, you'd be surprised how easy it is to clear a mob off someones six.  I've dived in on 6+ cons on my wingmans tail several times.  <SNIP>

I gotta agree.

If I see a friendly with a few cons on his 6, one tactic I use to break em up is to allow a couple to pass by me, then dive in on thier 6's, leaving at least one, to be on my 6, this one will usually call "chk 6" to his team mates, which will usually git em to break turn, then my team mate and I bugout.

We've had the discussion in our squad about tracers, whether to leave 'em on or off, now alotta guys leave em off so the enemy doesn't see the missed shots whiz past his canopy.

But if ya wanna clear someone's 6, nothing works better than tracers on, fire a few long range shots, and even if ya miss it makes your presence know right quick.

Kinda hard to focus on killin' sumthin' when tracers are whippin' past your canopy!  :eek:

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2001, 11:46:00 AM »
know who you're setting up with the drag.

I can't tell you how important this is...
typically with my squaddies, I'll set them up by turning away... then it's usually a done deal (nme is dead soon).

for others it's a crap shoot IMO.

I've done some great drags, climbs, stalls, etc.. to set up killer shots , only to have the guy on the bandits six blow it.

if I don't know who is bagging my drag I prefer to run like hell, grab alt after clear, and return with E.

--------------------

The other thing I'd like to add is how often I'm saddled up on a guy that's chasing a friendly just to have the friendly pull a high-G turn right in front of me causing me to overshoot, blow the shot, etc.

IMO the more people that learn to work as wingies the better.  Team work is the key to the MA.

Yeah.. what swaprat said.. ^

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: Wlfgng ]

Offline Bonden

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2002, 02:57:35 PM »
Great Posts :cool: