Author Topic: Jane's Longbow 2  (Read 386 times)

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Jane's Longbow 2
« on: May 07, 2002, 06:11:55 PM »
Anyone managed to make this thing run in a win2k system 1.4ghz 512 ram, gforce3 system?

Im pulling my hair out!!! :p

Offline Durr

• Copper Member
      • http://us.geocities.com/ghostrider305
Jane's Longbow 2
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2002, 10:09:01 PM »
I cant get it to work either.

Pentium IV, 1.4 Ghz,  1 GB RAM, Geforce 3 64MB, Windows ME

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Jane's Longbow 2
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2002, 10:55:50 PM »
I tried this link Durr:

http://www.accesswave.ca/~positiveg/lb2.htm

Has latest patch and a lot of tweaks that allegedly should get it to work. It didnt work for me though...maybe win2k. It may work for your win98 v3.0... err.. ME.

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Jane's Longbow 2
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2002, 11:28:00 PM »
I also wanted for a long time to get LB2 running, until I discovered Enemy Engaged: Comanche vs Hokum.

Havent looked back at the good old Longbow 2 days.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Jane's Longbow 2
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2002, 01:35:22 AM »
Yeah get EECH and EEAH.

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
Jane's Longbow 2
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2002, 03:51:19 AM »
Flying Apaches and Commanches is like flying jets. More pushbutton killing than flying skills. I wish there was a dedicated Vietnam helo sim. For now, Operation Flashpoint does a pretty good job of simulating Cobra combat since they patched the controls logic. It flies reasonably well (actually quite impressive for an FPS game since it is much better than some dedicated helo sims). I love hunting individual soldiers with 2.75 inch rockets.

But I really want a UH-1D Huey gunship with twin miniguns and twin rocket pods.
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
Jane's Longbow 2
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2002, 06:41:29 AM »
More pushbutton killing than flying skills.

Streak you flown the Apache and Comanche in EECH?  I'd like to see you transition from 100 mph to stable hover in EECH without exposing yourself, then tell me about pushbutton flying.  :)

Offline Eaglecz

• Nickel Member
Jane's Longbow 2
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2002, 07:33:25 AM »
yeah TAC me and MbirdCZ did play Longbow2 actualy on w98
there is some bug about memory, you have to set memory limit down to 256 MB
how yo get D3D patch to work its difrent bloody project :D

but we did both .. we could may try it over Inet, we flew on Elite diff and we were more less succesfuly :D

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Jane's Longbow 2
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2002, 09:15:28 AM »
I loved this game, recently loaded it up about 6 months ago (Win98) but couldn't play it due to the graphics standards we have today..spoiled now I guess....

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
Jane's Longbow 2
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2002, 10:45:41 AM »
Originally posted by funkedup

Streak you flown the Apache and Comanche in EECH?  I'd like to see you transition from 100 mph to stable hover in EECH without exposing yourself, then tell me about pushbutton flying.  :)
What does that have to do with hiding behind trees and lobbing hellfires? Or helmet mounted gunsights and fly-by-wire controls. I haven't played EECH, but if it is a sim, then hitting with Hellfires and the chain gun should be virtually automatic, especially compared to Vietnam era helo weapons. If it is exceptionally hard to fly either of those choppers compared to an overloaded Huey... the sim is wrong. It's like comparing an F-16 and an F-4. Both aircraft have performed the same roles. Most people love Falcon 4.0 and flying the F-16 into combat is certainly challenging, but try doing the same job in an F-4D without the fly-by-wire controls and automatic killing AIM-9L/M and AIM-120 missiles or even an internal gun. Just like Vietnam helos, there has yet to be a sim that accurately models Vietnam air-to-air combat. Give me one game that is a hardcore sim for both, and I would be very happy.
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Jane's Longbow 2
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2002, 12:12:06 PM »
I like LB2 over comanche vs hokum. The Vs. series games seem dumbed down in the threats against your helo if you dont hide or avoid detection. In LB2 if ye even pop your helo over a hill just a tad too high you'll get enemy helos hunting you and enemy SAM sending missiles into your ass. In Vs. you can go up and down and you wont get detected or fired upon unless you get close to the enemy SAM.

I installed LB2 on my old system.. ran great, albeit slowly (p2 300 hehe).. would love to see how it'd run on the 1.4 :)

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
Jane's Longbow 2
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2002, 12:42:34 PM »
Streak - even with all the modern weapons and avionics it is an entertaining challenge to fly the helo below 50 feet.  Try it before you knock it.  The helos in LB2 are quite easy to fly but EECH has a much more detailed FM and is correspondingly more challenging/entertaining in terms of pure flying.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
Jane's Longbow 2
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2002, 12:45:23 PM »
In Vs. you can go up and down and you wont get detected or fired upon unless you get close to the enemy SAM.

You must have been in free flight mode or had the skill levels dumbed down.  If I go over 100' AGL or turn on my radar for more than 5 seconds I get multiple SAMs and Su-33s on my ass.  :)

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Jane's Longbow 2
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2002, 06:12:30 PM »
For what it's worth, EEAH and EECH are the closest simulations of real helicopter flying that I've found. I wouldn't mind seeing a Vietnam-era heli sim tho
:)
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.