Author Topic: Force feedback plea  (Read 776 times)

Offline -luny-

• Zinc Member
Force feedback plea
« on: November 04, 1999, 04:36:00 AM »
Hiyas all...I've been flying AH (offline only) and there doesn't seem to be any force feedback yet. At least I haven't found any such tab in the setup.

If it hasn't been implemented yet, I'd like to take this opportunity to plead for us CH Force FX owners. CH Products and Immersion have ceased to support the CH Force FX because it's an I-force 1 device, whereas the current FF sticks use the I-force 2 API.

I-force 1->2 "translating" drivers for DirectX use were released and supported until mid-1998, but now there will not be any more DirectX driver updates. The latest drivers are from July 1998 and were written for DirectX 5. (Quitting all support like this is infuriating because the stick has only been around for 3-4 years or so, and is so bomb-proof that it will last a lifetime - and it's an excellent stick too, allowing external pedals and throttle without any problems, making it the stick of choice for many hardcore flight-sim enthusiasts).

This is causing serious problems - for instance, in Warbirds the CH Force FX DirectX drivers cause system freezes in online play. The force feedback you get in DirectX is crude compared to the old non-DirectX CH Force FX driver.

So, here's my plea: AH folks, when you implement force feedback, please make the I-force 1 non-DirectX force feedback support an option. This used to be the standard in the last Warbirds 1.x versions before DirectX became the only supported FF API in WB 2.0. There are plenty of I-force 1 sticks around (they all happen to be called CH Force FX) with very dedicated pilots behind them.

I'm currently trying to persuade WB folks to re-install the old FF support as an option in WB/DoA too...I sure hope they'll be so kind.

Luny

Offline Dancer

• Zinc Member
Force feedback plea
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 1999, 08:31:00 AM »
Luny,

Sharing your pain with the latest WB open
beta, I can assure you that I (and others)
pointed the above things out from day one
of AH's open beta  

Dancer out.

PS: To be honest, once HS really decides that
he want's to get some coders onto the problem
(my impression is that he is not yet convinced
that there is a problem at all), they will
solve the bug in WB - those guys may not have
style but they are good once they descide
(right or wrong) what they want to do.

HT, OTOH, did write the FFX for WB. Although
we lost some effects when it went DX5, it
still worked, so I'm pretty confident that
once he gets onto it, it will work in AH.

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Force feedback plea
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 1999, 12:05:00 PM »
I'm all for Force Feed, hmmm didn't Hitech say 14 days?  

Just kiddin HT, I know you guys have got more pressing things to take care of, but I'm ready for FF whenever you are.

Offline minus

• Nickel Member
Force feedback plea
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 1999, 05:51:00 PM »
i em a Force FX user and i remeber the fine
control with I-force and i Hate the DirectX efects
they look just like a hard springs nothing alse is it the problem of the Direct X driver  
i think the I force or Direct X  force fedback option can cohabite in one game u activate one or other  and everybody is hapy
ps: actualy all my CH gera Pro Pedals Pro trotle and force Fx look get tired , where i can buy potenciometers ? any sugestion ? i em in EU France