Author Topic: Repetition brings boredom  (Read 728 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Repetition brings boredom
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2001, 07:53:00 AM »
Regurge, you're doing this because I'm actually saying to perk the Chog.  

Offline Fokker

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.inbusiness.no
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2001, 07:53:00 AM »
Periods of being burnt out happens in any game. I have experienced that many times. Take a break and come back. That helps.

However, variation is important to counter boredom. Some get bored by hitting same planes, others by endless furballs or lack of challenging missions. The reasons for boredom are many.

I have in othr treads suggested a number of variations in gameplay which I know from experience will help. Most of this experience comes from playing Warbirds for many years. There we went through the same phases as AH is doing now. A lot of experiments where carried out to find variation.

I am sure we tried out most of those suggestions I see are discussed in this BBS.

What finally evolved in Warbirds was a split in two arenas with quite different setups.

The "Combat Arena" with four sides and free selection of planes. Full dot-radar on map and the choise of an easy flight model if you liked that. This arena would be your choise when you did not want to spend much time finding a fight and where A2A was your priority.

The other aena was the WW2 arena with two sides, allies versus axis. Here there where a rolling planeset from early war to late war during the tour. There where no dot-dar on map and realistic flight model was forced on. Icon range was reduced.

The WW2 arena was your choise when you wanted the most realistic and historically correct environment. This arena also required more skill to survive. The challenge to your SA and pilot skills where greater.

I prefered the WW2 arena, but now and then I would drop in on the Combat arena for some intense A2A action. If I got bored in one arena I would change to the other for awhile. That worked quite well.

I believe AH should develop a similar split in arenas. It does not split the community. The community will be there in both arenas. The variation in gameplay you can experience is vastly increased in a way it can not be done if all are in same arena.

The selection of planes are enough today to support two arenas like this. I am aware that we are a bit short on early war planes and axis type of bombers. But we know they will be there soon. Meanwhile there are ways to compensate. In WB the b25 was made available to axis to compensate for lack of axis bombers. That could be done in AH too.

To look at and include the best ideas from sims that have had more years evolving than AH is wise. That can only improve AH and keep it on top as our first choise.

Offline R4M

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2001, 07:56:00 AM »

Originally posted by Ripsnort:
What is needed is "Choice"...ie, a Historical Arena, or something similiar...I haven't seen less than 150 online during US time zone evenings, no reason why they couldn't open up another arena and give it a try.

Yeah right, Rip...that would rock.

I think that the perk sistem is not bad. What is bad is that some people started the TOD of the Perk planes iwth more than 2000 perks. Maybe put a top limit to the perkies you may have would work?

RHood

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2001, 08:31:00 AM »
Ok this is my second tour and I love the game . However I do understand where Sturm is coming from. I my self found that I was flying the same plane, Spit9 , all the time, the main reason was cause it was the only thing I could hit anything in. I changed that and started to fly different planes, one cause i joined a great squad and cause I wanted to learn more and try E-fighting, steep learning curve ( mainly into the ground ) but worth it, I hope.

I like Strum idea on a different post about aircraft factories. This would add a more strategic feel to the game, and also force the losing side to use different aircraft.

The way i see it you would have 4 factories, each one taken out would remove the most used aircraft in the last 12 hours. It would work like the HQ in that if the city had been hit this would have a detrimental affect on the rebuilding time of that factory.

Some people might say that this makes it harder for the losing side well that in my opinion is war ask the germans in late 44-45 if bombing their factories made it harder for them to fight.

While I expect to get flamed at some point in this thread, as everybody is a critic, please offer an alternative while roasting me alive  

------------------
 RHood VMF-222
Bring the Mosquito FB.MkVI toAH NOW :-)

lazs

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2001, 08:34:00 AM »
I see about 4 or five different planes being used.  It allways cracks me up when i hear an "allied vs axis" guy whining about lack of variety in fights.   They would have the variety down to fighting only 2 kinds of planes, 109's and 190's... not only that but even the melees would have less variety as you would only have to defend against planes that climbed well and turned poorly.

moose is right.... when u live online you get burnt out.  most people don't put in that kind of time and new guys are still trying to get over the steep learning curve.
lazs

funked

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2001, 08:51:00 AM »

Sturm6:
Time hh:mm:ss 157:18:48

Moose my time online has nothing to do with it.

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAA!!!

Sturm that is 7 hours a day!
If you play a game 7 hours a day for a month, you are going to get bored of it!!!

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 04-23-2001).]

funked

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2001, 08:53:00 AM »
And yes I love the Spitfire.  It is the most beautiful and capable fighter in the history of mankind.  If you don't like it you can kiss my pale, hairy, behind!

------------------

FunkedUp, Officer Commanding, 308 (Polish) Squadron "City of Cracow" RAF
Northolt Wing (1st Polish Fighter Wing)

"We had been forced to fight.  And now that we are fighting, we thought, we'll teach you rotten Huns how to fight.  We'll shoot your pissy little fighters out of the sky, we'll rip your dirty great bombers to shreds, we'll make you wish to Christ you'd never heard of the aeroplane!"

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 04-23-2001).]

Moose11

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2001, 10:47:00 AM »
I'm sure time online has *something* to do with how bored you get flying.

There is variety in the arena, it just depends on where you are.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2001, 11:04:00 AM »
I got bored to AH long time ago already.. thanks to Chogs (good that I got bored in early so I didn't have to see frustration with CV Chogs  )

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2001, 11:07:00 AM »

Originally posted by Fishu:
I got bored to AH long time ago already.. thanks to Chogs (good that I got bored in early so I didn't have to see frustration with CV Chogs   )

Fishu, knowing you, you'd have found another to make the excuse.  

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2001, 11:08:00 AM »
I was getting bored with AH the other week. So I decided to try flying the Tiffie in jabo-mode for a bit and try improve my jabo score. It had been a while since I had flown it.

It rocked - coming in at 10 k with 2000lbs of bombs - blasting through higher cons, dropping my bombs and then running away. This is especially fun when you have plenty of support - I usually reverse about 5 miles out climb to 4k and then dive on the field, taking out acks or the odd low enemy plane.

I got killed alot but it really got me back in the game.  

- Koba
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

AKSeaWulfe

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2001, 11:41:00 AM »
Yeah I get bored too... although I think it's just because I don't like doing the same thing for too long.

So I found this neato little thing to do when I get bored with AH: Hmmm what are those people called that you know and you do stuff with? Oh yeah.. I call up my friends and go out and do stuff.

Amazing.. you can have fun with real human interaction too!!
<G>
-SW

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2001, 01:47:00 PM »
I've only played about 14 hours or so this tour.

Not even burned out...just bored with the same ol same ol. That is not in respect to any one plane or anything...just the same ol whinning, same ol tactics, same ol bugs, same ol gameplay, etc. It's all the same ol stuff.

A compilation if you will. So, I'm login very few hours, hoping that my lack of obstructed bandwidth will further advance the game by surplus funds.   (or equalize, erm if you will)

The text buffer has really turned my off lately...so much garbage gets spewed there...and it's all so dated! No imagination whatsoever with whiners these days...

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2001, 02:16:00 PM »
About 25 hours of playing and I'm fed up. It's full of Nikis, Spitfires and C-Hogs out there   So, I'm leaving for one week of holidays in Sicily. Cya all  
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown