Author Topic: Crash To Desktop  (Read 373 times)

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
Crash To Desktop
« on: May 09, 2002, 08:19:38 PM »
Hey Guys,

Sorry I dropped off the face of the earth last night.  After my 5th CTD and 1 spontaneous computer reboot, I logged in frustration.

My system was always rock solid, but my sound card went bad about a month ago.  So since I had an excuse to upgrade some stuff, I installed a new SB Audigy, a new Plextor x40 CDRW, and a Maxtor 7200rpm 80 Gb HD.

Last night was my first night back

Now my system is rocksolid in everything but AH, where its a nightmare. I only engaged  in one combat, died about 8 times on the runway when my system went out of control, and CTD'd I think 5 times.

Athlon 1.3Ghz Tbird, VIA chipset (latest 4 in 1 drivers)
640Meg RAM
ATI Radeon (the original, now would be the 7500) Latest Drivers
SB Audigy (latest drivers)
Maxtor 80Gb HD, Seagate 8Gb SCSI HD, and an old Maxtor 6Gb HD
Plextor 40X CDRW
CH HOTAS (F-16 Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals) Non-USB
Win2k (all the updates)

Any Ideas?  Thanks

Verm

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Crash To Desktop
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2002, 07:57:47 AM »
Any IRQ's being shared?  What slot did you put the Audigy in?

Have you re-installed DX 8.1 after switching audio drivers?

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Crash To Desktop
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2002, 12:18:46 PM »
Recently installed an Epox MB and began having the same problem. Set AGP to 2X instead of 4X and no more reboots.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Crash To Desktop
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2002, 12:34:45 PM »
I tried to upgrade motherboard and cpu & video card, letting my hard drive just install what it needed when it detected it .... no go.
FPS were down, poor benchmarks, strange lockups/reboots
Ended up fdisking, Installing Win98 fresh on primary 100GB drive for AH only with WinXP on secondary 80GB drive for everything else - same IDE controller which allows a multi OS boot.
System screams now with fresh install using either OS.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
Crash To Desktop
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2002, 08:57:55 AM »
My guess is that it has something to do with the soundcard I installed or DX8 or drivers.

I'll try Leph's advice on DX8 and swap slots on the soundcard to see if it helps.

Strange part is that its still rock solid in every other game.  Only in AH do I have problems.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Crash To Desktop
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2002, 12:39:32 PM »
AH is quite a bit different in regards to what it stresses compared to most other games.  I have found that AH is heavily dependent on FPU operations, and tends to be less tolerant of overclocks than almost anything else I've tried.  AH also seems to be one of the few games that actually requires DX8, and it's combination of AH Voice using Direct Play for sound and the DX video stuff is not tolerant of mis-configured machines or bad drivers.  There are a LOT of bad drivers out there. :)

Verm... run msinfo32 and look at the IRQ distribution.  Also, if you tell me what devices are in what slots counting from the AGP down, I'll have an idea if there is a problem and/or what else to try.

Oh... and use AGP 2x, and try setting your AGP appature size to 128 as well.  Never hurts to re-install DX 8.1 after making any major changes as well.

Offline Modas

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
Crash To Desktop
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2002, 12:45:13 PM »
I've posted this before, but I had nothing but problems with my SB audigy and AH.  I was dumping 6-8 times a nite.  Put my old SB live xgamer back in and ALL my problems went away.