Author Topic: Let's agree on the etiquette of kill stealing (or lack thereof)  (Read 513 times)

Offline Chanter

• Copper Member
Let's agree on the etiquette of kill stealing (or lack thereof)
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2002, 05:50:51 PM »
^

...ahhhhh, but it's fun for me.  I'm a reformed WB Spit dweeb. :)
1841 Fleet Air Arm

Offline Duedel

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2002, 05:57:59 PM »
I dont want to offend someone but... man this IS A GAME! Kill stealing could (should) be only annoying for people which are not so "good", which rarely get a kill but for those with better skills, dont bother, let the others get their assist or their kill. Tell them that this is not a good manner but PLEASE dont "whine" about this. IMHO if I read threads about kill stealing they are posted from pilots with lets say reasonable good experience. I'm not a good pilot but I would NEVER post a thread about kill stealing. Why? Cause I think (and again I DONT WANT TO OFFEND SOMEONE - dont know how to express it better in english) its silly. You'll never get an agreement particularly with the 2 weeks trial pilots.
So fly, have fun and enlighten the others which have a bad habbit.:)

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2002, 06:00:54 PM »
lemme say this

Me and a squaddie were winging and i killed a 51 a 50 cal Navy squad guy swooped and blew him up at 200 feet off the deck. My squaddie gets an la7 and this same guy does the same the thing.

I pm him and ask him whats up.

Then catch hell from the rest of his well  documented squad of  kill stealers.

Its all fine and good when it happens by mistake or if two or more guys are chasing a con and in the heat of it all a dead plane gets blown up by someone in the pack.

But the thing that set Joe off in his "check 6" thread is when the guy is in flames in a death spiral and some spray and pray blue bird pilot "steals" it. Thats all I see who does it.

It aint about "score" or the kill buffer. Its about dont fek with me I dont fek with you.

Interestingly enough one those killstealers in the "check 6" thread was the squaddie of the guy in the instant I stated above.

Offline JoeCrip

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.jg51.8m.net
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2002, 06:12:45 PM »
Well said wotan

Offline Kuben

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2002, 06:25:19 PM »
Wotan - didn't they disable kill stealing like you describe in the last patch?
I could be totally off my rocker here but someone mentioned it to me, I didn't believe it so I did a little test.  One of my squaddies shot down a guy (I ok'd it w/ my squaddie before hand) and as the foe was falling earthbound without a wing, I swooped down and put some rounds into him.  The foe had not bailed out yet but was riding the wreck down.
I didn't so much as get an assist.  Nothing.

Can anybody confirm or deny whether such coding exists in that once a plane is rendered useless and heading down, it won't credit others for the kill/assist?

Kuben  <-- may be off my rocker.  :confused:

Offline JoeCrip

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.jg51.8m.net
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2002, 06:27:38 PM »
Sometimes when planes are falling to the ground w/o a wing, the piolt has arleady bailed. It is just a case of lag most times, and 3-4 seconds later a parachute will appear. I dont remeber the kill awarding system being fixed/revised in any of the recent patches. ( 1.07 -> 1.09)

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2002, 06:36:18 PM »
theres a period of lag on your fe from when the guy bails and shows up as a "chute" or still resembles thwe plane.

If you shoot them in that transition mostly nothing happens.

No "kill stealing" as defined by targeting planes that are well dead (wing or tail gone, flaming spiral into down) has never been addressed.

Mostly because it was rare. Now every sortie I see folks chasing carcuses.

I understand new guys or heat of the moment stuff that isnt what I am talking about.

Mostly I will call um on private channel and ask. I make my point S! them and it doesnt happen again. But recently with a few particular folks they wanna get all pissy.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2002, 06:39:46 PM »
Originally posted by Heinkel
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It won't work.
Imagine that you spawn on the runway, start your engine and then I vulch your wing off. Should I get a kill for this? You are not wounded, sitting on your own runway in a busted plane, ready to end the "flight", yet your death (or my kill) has already been awarded to me....? Now THAT would really suck!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If a feild is at the point where if you up, you will be vulched, then why up? What good will upping 1 plane against 10+ enemy's fighters do? They have the E Advantage, Alt advantage, and every other  advantage there is. Sure, if you kill the goon, you will save the field....for another 3 mins at least...:rolleyes:

BotaBing's idea is a good idea

Whether or not you think it's a good idea or not means little, it's still a regular part of the game.  Maybe you won't up from a vulched field, but many others will.  Also not all vulch/capped fields are as you describe with 10 vulchers circling overhead.  I am a good vulcher, but if 2 guys both want to get up at a field that I have capped solo, they will succeed in good time.  All that I can hope to do is buy a minute, or two or maybe even three, of time untill more help arrives.  
Some folks are masters at upping at vulch capped fields.  I have a long laundry list in my head of names of great vulch-breakers.  If one or two of these guys ups at afield that I have capped, I know the gig will soon be up.

My experience has shown that more fields are "saved" by folks who up at a vulch/capped fields than are lost or captured because the vulchers maintained air superiority.  It is an effective strategy in many situations.

eskimo

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Re: Let's agree on the etiquette of kill stealing (or lack thereof)
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2002, 06:59:39 PM »
Originally posted by Ogun
Widewing has a post about "a common sense scoring system," that goes much into detail about the current AH scoring system, but my intention is to see if we can come to some kind of agreement on the rules of engagement (not that there are any; you wanna steal kills you will)

Ok, I've done no rehearsal here just going to put it out there.  

How would one tell the difference between a countryman chasing down an enemy to kill it (along with five others) with the pure intent of racking up a kill from the other guys' labor vs. somebody who just wanted to help make sure the enemy was dead?

I have become very careful in this area and it's actually starting to hurt me.

Ex. I see a countryman get a few pings on some nme fiter and that fiter starts smoking and I go ahead and keep my distance as to avoid interfering with his kill.  Next thing I know, smoking fiter is on my six pinging me.  I hate this situation; it has become so difficult.

What would you do?

Currently, my only exception is bombers.  I don't care how much they are smoking or how many countrymen are on them, I join if I feel that one of my country's targets is at risk.  I will endure any cursing for steal killing as long as I know the bomber is dead.

But fiters seems so much more tricky.  Advice?  Can we come to some agreement on what the perception will be in the ma?  I will clarify anything that's cloudy here.

I generally try to keep my distance from a teammate who is saddled up, yet stay close enough to protect him as well. However, if his con should turn towards me and become a threat, then I'll do what I have to in order to protect myself.

I agree with you on the bomber issue. If your field or strat is in immediate danger, forget about kill stealing and try to knock it down.

I can't imagine that anyone would bellyache about either situation. Yet, you know that some will. Ignore them, they had their chance, you are only doing the smart thing.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Kuben

• Zinc Member
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2002, 07:21:15 PM »
Wotan & Joecrip, that's probably what it is...the pilot already bailed but it hasn't displayed on my end.  

Kuben

Offline Ogun

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2002, 07:55:15 PM »
So to sum up is the general rule that if it can fly, go after it guilt free?

Offline AKEagle+

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2002, 03:46:26 PM »
go after it guilt free?

What is "guilt"? :confused:

Just when ya think ya got all the Sim terms figured out, they throw a new one at cha. :)

It sounds like one of those terms like "HO" "Gang Bang" "Honor" or "Fair".

I like terms like "Maim", "Obliterate", "Vulch" :D

Face it, if it ain't in Shaw's "Fighter Combat" I ain't really intrested ;)

AKEagle+

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2002, 10:53:38 PM »
I just wish I didn't have to POP every target and know that in just taking off a wing or causing fatal damage is enough to ensure the kill. As anything more is a waste of ammo in my opinion and very frustrating.

Think I might map the "check 6" to my joystick.  

...-Gixer

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2002, 11:24:15 PM »
I don't usually shoot planes that are obviously going down unless they are in front of my guns.

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2002, 05:44:16 AM »
Personaly I will jump into a fight if its 1 on 1.Not to try to gain an advantage on the kill but to make sure it dies and be able to move on to the next.If Im in a 1 on 1 feel free by all means to jump in.Who cares as long as they die.Thats the whole point.  If a plane is visably dissabled ie missing a wing,I wont shoot it.I really think thats cheap but hey...it happens.
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.