Author Topic: Pyro or HiTech  (Read 428 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Pyro or HiTech
« on: February 07, 2001, 07:45:00 AM »
Could you clarify your position on Historical Arenas?  There have been a few posts here lately on what you've stated about the topic, online I suppose, but I'd rather hear it from you guys (no offense intended, Maniac).

Also, is it true you do not plan to use player-submitted terrains in any of the arenas; that they are made available for H2H only?  I thought Vermillion's beautiful Mediterranean terrain was setting an example, but I haven't seen any player-generated terrains since.  And I know there are some beauties out there.

I'm trying to get a sense of where AH is going from here.   Player-controlled submarines and TBMs and DEs armed with depth charges?  Seaplanes with pilot-rescue capability?  Landing Craft spawned from fleet for amphibious invasions?

Thanks for taking a moment to comment if you can!

PS.  If your focus is just expanding the planeset, great, it could use it.  I especially appreciate how you've made the game truly global with Finnish and Brazilian AC.  How about an Aussie Beaufighter, or a Free French P-63A KingCobra, or a P-40 in South African colors?

(And of course please please please a Ki84 for the Japanese Army Air Force.)

[This message has been edited by oboe (edited 02-07-2001).]

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Pyro or HiTech
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2001, 07:57:00 AM »
Oboe,

Currently all of the player created terrains that I'm aware of (and yes there are some nice ones) are being upgraded to be 1.05 compatable.

The latest build of the editor was just released 10 days or so ago. Playing with terrains tends to be a very time consumeing business.  

Final note, CM's will now have the abilty to load any current terrain for Special events.
So look for cool new Snapshots with special terrains to come in the near future.

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
Pyro or HiTech
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2001, 08:01:00 AM »
I asked HT an couple of weeks ago online about another arena with 2 countrys only and he was against it.

Funny how people change their minds all of the sudden, when i asked the same question back in beta it was the standard answer : "we need to get the numbers up first" <G>

Regards.

------------------
AH : Maniac
WB : -nr-1-
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline Jochen

• Copper Member
      • http://www.jannousiainen.net
Pyro or HiTech
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2001, 08:29:00 AM »

Funny how people change their minds all of the sudden, when i asked the same question back in beta it was the standard answer : "we need to get the numbers up first"

Welp, maybe the numbers aren't big enought yet?  

The times when I'm flying numbers are around 100. If you split that to two you get two not that exciting arenas. I think something like 100 - 150 per arena would be neccessary.

------------------
jochen Gefechtsverband Kowalewski

Units: I. and II./KG 51, II. and III./KG 76, NSGr 1, NSGr 2, NSGr 20.
Planes: Do 17Z, Ju 87, Ju 88A, He 111H, Ar 234A, Me 410A, Me 262A, Fw 190F, Fw 190G.

Sieg oder bolsevismus!
jochen Gefechtsverband Kowalewski

Units: I. and II./KG 51, II. and III./KG 76, NSGr 1, NSGr 2, NSGr 20.
Planes: Do 17Z, Ju 87D, Ju 88A, He 111H, Ar 234A, Me 410A, Me 262A, Fw 190A, Fw 190F, Fw 190G.

Sieg oder bolsevismus!

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Pyro or HiTech
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2001, 08:50:00 AM »
Strange, I've never seen Pyro or HTC say anything other than "HA doesn't work... we aren't doing it again".

Most of (all?) the optimism seems to be player generated.

AKDejaVu

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
Pyro or HiTech
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2001, 09:20:00 AM »
No Jochen the numbers had nothing to do with it in his answer...

Sorry to burst any bubbles, we wont be seeing an arena with an 2 country setup.

Regards.

P.S 50 ppl in one areana is indeed fun, toejam how long ago was it that we had 50 - 60 ppl in the main at prime time lol!!! another thing, djust put the 2 country arena up there and it will outclass the main as far as numbers go  

------------------
AH : Maniac
WB : -nr-1-

[This message has been edited by Maniac (edited 02-07-2001).]
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline danish

• Nickel Member
Pyro or HiTech
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2001, 09:24:00 AM »
True that HTC havnt promised anything, in fact on the contrary more than once.But I cant see anything wrong with whining on ;=)

No doubt the HA will be deserted most of the time off primetimes.But with a few dedicated CM it will live through primetimes, especially when new terrains and setups will be introduced every few weeks.

The HA will not be for the majority, on the contrary.So what?It will give a relativly small group a home, a group that is bound to get lost if the current line of HTC is continued.If it can be done without too much hassle it will be good business.

And plz remember: just because its a minority its not elitism.It just mean that the group is smaller than the majority.

danish

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
Pyro or HiTech
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2001, 09:34:00 AM »
One good feature of the HA is a rolling planeset. The rolling planeset allowed it s that all the planes would be flown during the course of a tour. The perk system will solve this to a certain extent, while allowing the latest planes to be available all the time. I believe HT planned for AH to be a late-war plane sim moreso than an early war sim.

fscott

-towd_

Pyro or HiTech
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2001, 09:55:00 AM »
if ma has hogcs and ha dosent ha will not lack for players i bet

AKSeaWulfe

Pyro or HiTech
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2001, 10:36:00 AM »
<gets out a stick and sees a dead horse>
Or we could just start making scenarios again.
-SW

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
Pyro or HiTech
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2001, 12:31:00 PM »
ummmmm who said we ever stopped making scenarios?

The planning and work that went into Afrika Corps took around 5-6 months before it was even announced, and several thereafter.

Let me give you a hint.... good things are coming soon (to steal a quote)

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Pyro or HiTech
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2001, 12:35:00 PM »
"good things are coming soon (to steal a quote)"

Would only be stealing if it were true back where you borrowed it from  

I'm looking forward to whatever you folks have up your collective sleeves!

-Westy

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Pyro or HiTech
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2001, 12:36:00 PM »
"I Know what it is, I know what it is !!"

<Man in black puts hand over mouth of Rip, drags him away kicking and muffled screaming>

AKSeaWulfe

Pyro or HiTech
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2001, 01:58:00 PM »

Originally posted by Vermillion:
ummmmm who said we ever stopped making scenarios?

Oh no.. I didn't mean the scenario corps guys.. I meant kinda like scenario lites from WB. A few guys that want a HA could create a scenario lite kinda deal and submit that to HTC and run it.
-SW

Offline llbm_MOL

• Copper Member
Pyro or HiTech
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2001, 02:07:00 PM »
The HA in WB's never had that many people in it. When it first started it did but once the new wore off it had less then 10% of the population in it even at prime time. Your asking HTC to put up an arena for less then 10% of the population and probably slow down the MA and cut down or add bandwidth that has to be accounted for($)somewhere. I like the MA just fine and dont see a need for an HA for just less then 10% of the population. You guys should spend more time trying to get the MA more to your likeing instead of heading off at a 90 degree tangent.

LLB OUT!!!!!!!!