Author Topic: Come Down fast  (Read 1587 times)

Mr.ED

Come Down fast
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 1999, 08:38:00 PM »
Wicked, Good point indeed! I have all my trim controls at my finger tips, failed to mention that before.

Westy This is for you.
This morning armed with my new flight knowlege here is how my flight went. I was cruising at 19ishK & 200KHP, saw a NIKI at 5-8K below me, chopped throttle, lowered RPM, lower flaps fully. Started to decent at -3.0K rate got up to 400 true, then pulled up on the nose to a 1k climb, bleed her down to 300kph, then circled until I was on the six of the NIKI and 2k above, powered up/retracted flaps and dove in at -3k and leveled off at 400kph just behind & below the KIKI, made my gun pass & struck her across the port side from mid-section to nose, then went vertical, at 3k above I rolled to a high yo-yo, and got into the same postion then made my second pass, hit her again on the port side, this time across the rear quarter, the NIKI listed, I went vertical, as I was looking backwards, I saw the pilot bail.
My first AH kill. flew back to Knight-terf,landed and did the happy dance.
The trick is a shallow slow desent. In stages if needed. Oh yeah I made dang sure there wasn't another Bishop for 3 grid squares!
As far as I can figure so far, in a pony, you have a 2-4K down zoom before the thing starts to rocket. Asuming you are at 200kph when you start your dive.

Hope this helps, sure helped me.

Mr.ED
327th P.S.
Knights

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
Come Down fast
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 1999, 09:12:00 PM »
Well i have pretty much flown the p51 since the start,and have not found the need to fly anything else Might give the 190 a shot as you handle the plane the same as the 51..

So,your locking up in a high speed dive After a few weeks ive found the soloution to this.Use the same manuver use use to avoid being shot up from the rear..

I have no problem losing 10k and keeping a constant air speed,back off throttle & do the  scissor manuver, hard & fast if your speed is to hi,nice slow easy movement once you have the speed you want to maintain..Ocne you are allmost level apply throttle as needed..

I usually go full throttle & wep once level so i can keep & gain speed to regrab alt..

After augering a number of time,i found this to work to my advantage  

------------------
--wd-- Jagdgeschwader 26 "Schlageter"
            "The Abbeville Boys"

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Come Down fast
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 1999, 03:55:00 PM »
In regards to trim...

The solution to the changing trim situation in a dive is auto-trim for angle.  Simply start your dive, engage auto-trim for angle, and trim will adjust as your speed increases.  When you get close to your pull-out, and you speed is near your gun pass speed, disengage the auto-trim and make your pass.  For a most efficient zoom climb, re-engage auto-trim for angle for the zoom.

Handy little ticket that auto-trim.  

------------------
Lephturn
The Flying Pigs