Author Topic: balance  (Read 164 times)

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
balance
« on: May 17, 2002, 10:05:24 AM »
We have a number problem, on that everyone is agreed.  It isn't just a bishop,knight or rook problem.  It has an effect on everyone's level of play positively or negatively depending which way the wind is blowing that day.

I wonder if rewarding the "winning" team with perks isn't fueling the situation?  

What can be done?

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
balance
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2002, 10:29:53 AM »
you can earn more perks defending then from a reset. my squaddie earned over 50 fighter perks killing gvs at 39 yesterday.

perks mean nothing. How many folks do you see in perk planes a tour? if everyone was a perk farmer you would expect to see more perks planes in the air.

What you have right now is mass sympathy for the pathetic rooks so there was a shift of mostly knights to rooks. I have been a knight for a long time and what you newbies are seeing now is nothing like the previous "bucket" time for the knights. last I counted it was 9 weeks of a non stop gangbang.

My advice who cares who gets reset. Up and get kills. In amongst the gangbang is where your skill will get developed. Dont whine just get kills. :)

Now the knights have a lot of relatively new folks couple that with reduced numbers invites the gangbang. Dont try and defend the inevitable. Set a defense in one area and seek to maintain local air superiority. Whining like a rook wont change anything :)

Offline Hooligan

• Silver Member
balance
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2002, 11:59:20 AM »

We have a number problem, on that everyone is agreed.

Well I don't agree with this and I really doubt that I am the only one, so clearly not everyone is agreed.

On occasion the numbers imbalance seems bad, but most of the time it isn't.  The 3 sided arrangement is to some extent self correcting and the arena balance is much much better than what I have previously seen in 2 and 4 sided arenas.

Hooligan
« Last Edit: May 17, 2002, 12:03:29 PM by Hooligan »

Offline DmdNexus

• Silver Member
balance
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2002, 02:03:57 PM »
Sheesh not this again!

I personally don't care about perk points or who whens the reset.

I really dont' think Perk points mount to a hill of beans in which side people fly on.

And of my squad mates, which we number about 90 these days - I can probably safely speak for them - they dont' care either!

I personally, like to fly for the country which is outnumbered, for one reason only. It's easier to find a fight and get kills. Why? Because it's not me and 20 friendlies fighting over that 1 unfortunately enemy who happened to stumble into a gangbang.

For example, Knits were out numbered by the Bish 120 to 70 last night for a few hours and I was loving it. I was flying through 10 and 20 Bish picking them off in my spitfire, yah I died, but I took on average two of them with me each flight.

So far what I have seen with the numbers, it depends upon Time Zone and which part of the country is logged in.

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
balance
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2002, 02:19:29 PM »
Obviously I was mistaken.  Everything is in perfect balance and nobody in AH cares about perks.  I don't know where I ever got the idea it was any other way.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
balance
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2002, 04:30:54 PM »
you werent in ah prior to the perks for reset were you? The perks for reset was asked for by the community. Before there were times where 1 side would have 2 bases left and no fhs up. But the other 2 never pushed for the kill.

Ofcourse we all want balance but thats not the reality. All sides have there down time. The knights and rooks mostly take turns but the bish were down at times.

Theres really no "winning" everything starts all over. The fact is you can earn more perks being down in numbers then most will get for the reset.

I understand that it sux being gangbanged and I have been a knight for a long time. The past week or so is nothing like it was a while back where fer 9 weeks everyday was worse then it is now. The knights that are on need to fly together and not try and defend everywhere at once. The reset is coming but in local areas where you can maintain parity or even air superiority you can up and get kills.

The point about perks is is everyone was perk farming you would expect more perk planes to be in the arena. I just dont see that many to think that side switching or pushing for a reset to be the biggest motivation. 20 fighter perks or 20 buff perks arent that hard to get. theres no use for 20 gv perks so 40 usable perks fer a reset. Like i said my squaddie got over 50 in 45 min killing gvs.

Just focus a bit more on the a2a and leave the gang banging land grabbers to their game.

Offline Hooligan

• Silver Member
balance
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2002, 04:45:55 PM »
Turbot:

So the game is either in perfect balance or so completely hosed that none of the expanding customer base can tolerate it?  There is no gray area?

Hooligan

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
balance
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2002, 04:49:41 PM »
Do the new players still automatically get placed as a Bish?  I started the game as a Bish way back in beta because that is where I was placed to begin with.

perhaps HTC can code new login's to join the team with the lowest numbers.

With a three country war there will always be one side getting outnumbered.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
balance
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2002, 05:59:27 PM »
you can't really legislate "sportsmanship"

either you have it or you don't, or sometimes you do, but sometimes you don't.

to paraphrase eveyone's beloved former President, "It's the players, stupid!"

;)

free hamstard treats for everyone!!!
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Steven

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
balance
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2002, 02:35:22 AM »
This is my own personal opinion, but I don't think the Knights always help their cause.  Recently I'm seeing a fad to try to take an airbase without taking down the fighter hangars.  This can work in certain situations, but I'd say shouldn't be the norm.  I personally think this is done in an attempt to lead to a vulch and pad scores in the name of having the hangars ready to go once captured.  But they don't get captured and the fight lasts for a long time.  Blitzkrieg...move in fast, destroy everything, capture and move on.  Let the enemy up from a far-off field to get to the defense, by then they'll be outnumbered and the goon can slip in...better than swatting the enemy fighters one-by-one who can just constantly respawn on the field to join the low altitude fight.  Anyway, tonight when the Bishops have as many players as the Knights and Rooks combined, it's asking for trouble to let them up a field you are trying to take.  We tried to take one base on our home island while the Bish successfully defended it and soon took the other 4 bases on the island.  I know it's sort of off-topic, but now that we have less numbers, we do need to be smarter [than we had to be before.]  

I'm no general or student of strategy and this is just my $.02.

Offline Virage

• Silver Member
balance
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2002, 03:05:02 AM »
If only 20% of the players online like to play on the winning team and switch... the numbers become heavily unbalanced.  This is the cause of the numbers problem in the MA.  Can you figure a way to control that 20% without losing them as customers?
JG11

Vater

Offline FDutchmn

• Silver Member
balance
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2002, 03:57:17 AM »
I am telling you gents (ladies too), that land grabbing business will not help this situation.  Better think of another alternative for a victory condition.

Offline stegor

• Nickel Member
balance
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2002, 04:28:26 AM »
I've red such things many and many times in last two years. There will ever be a side that feels  gangbanged  or cryes for being outnumbered; some craps happens when we have mass migration from a country to another ; in the name of balancing the game some people migrate to another country in a great number , and beside the rotation the sit is the same again.
So this is our turn Knights, dont waste time   rookbishwhining;)  like, get organized and defend our bases; its still fun kickin their prettythang for long time before give up :p .

Nibbio
4° Stormo C.T. "F. Baracca"