Author Topic: F4U-C madness...WHATEVER!  (Read 875 times)

Offline Gorf

• Copper Member
F4U-C madness...WHATEVER!
« on: January 27, 2000, 10:39:00 PM »
Hi all,

Was flying last night and noticed that the F4U-1C craze was for real.  Was getting my butt romped on buy..F4U 1-cs..  I for once was getting upset,I mean get alife and fly something else.  THEN my wife said, If they can out gun ya,, out smart them/ out fly them and use there strengths against them.  SO I started going through the Planes and Jumped in the one plane that is flown the least.. La-5.  Got up to abou 7k and here they came F4U-1cs and a coupole of Spits.  One Spit was daring enought to take me head on,, I skided to the Right and Peppered from his Right all the way acroos to the left wing tip.. DEAD.  1 plane down and all I los was a tail wheel.  Then here came a F4u1C from behind.. I rolleed over cut the engine, nosed down and WAMMO Unloaded the F4U that overshot.. DEAD. I was feeling good, 1 Spit and 1 F4u-C and I still had 167 rounds of 20mm.  I snuck off and climbed to about 9K and WOUlDn't ya KNOW it,,another F4U1C. This time I CUT engine Rolled Right and pulled back hard riding the stall horn.  Took a hit or too but was okay. Dove to to 3K and the HogC was after me. He must of thought He had the Advantage on me but NOT, I pulled, fell to the right Put the Pedal to the medal and Engaged WEP, SKIded to the left on the way down.. WE were head on I Peppered his cockpit, I lost a airlion and wheel but Took out my second HogC.  I had to belly land at the Ammo pits but I lived.  
Second mission went up again in la5 and as soon as I took off a another HogC tried to vulch,, Right once he got with in range I Dove head first over the Cliff edge and he over shot.  climbed up and escaped. In the 2nd battle I died but I took out 2 HogsCs.

My wife was right,  THINK and FLY SMARTER.  The arrogance of the F4U1C pilot and his believe in his fire power gets him/her killed. Sometimes STRONGER isnt the better.

SO,Bishop and Knight F4U1C pilots.  Next time you see a ROOK La-5 or any enemy La-5.. Watch OUT! I got 4 Hogs, 1 Spit and a Stang..want to make it 7!

I love the F4U.. Just I like my Wife's philosphy, for you pilots that are getting frustrated with the planes with the bigger guns that blow ya out of the sky with a few shots, Dont let it get to you. Out smart them, out fly them and use the Strengths/weakness against them.  YOU WILL PREVAIL!

Gorf

OUT!

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2000, 05:19:00 AM »
Sigh, not good enough to do that yet  

But, I saw that yesterday as well, lots of F4U's at 20/25K or more...I dropped my Pony and went for the Nikki....managed to get 2 of them  

Not as good as you, but am on the learning curve still...

------------------
Saint
DCO 186th Wardogs (Falcon4 Squad)
 http://www.wardogs.org/
"Firepower Mate, that is what separates the men from the boys..."
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2000, 05:52:00 AM »
Gorf,
Hehe, another convert  

Well, just remember that the only la5 squadron is Knight - 129 IAP.

Unfortunately, most of its pilots are Russian, and $30/mo. is too much for many of them.  Thus, we will be losing over half our squad  

Just as we were going to be designated to Guards status as 5th Guards Fighter Air Regiment(5 GIAP)...

------------------
leonid
129 IAP VVS RKKA
ingame: Raz

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2000, 01:15:00 PM »
Your wife is a very wise woman.  

Thats the point I have been trying to make here for the past month or so.

Rarely is it the plane.

Its the pilot that knows how to handle his plane correctly that is deadly.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure,
Dicta Verm: "Never give the suckers an even break!" or translated "Never engage without an advantage"

Offline Gorf

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2000, 01:23:00 PM »

Yea She was watching me type it in, made her happy too.  Made her forget that I forgot her birthday.hehehe

Actually I am not that good of a pilot, just relaxed and patience is a virtue.

A little FYI for you all.  I noticed(me beeing guilty also) that in a fight and I am trying to shake someone I will pull hard turns with as mush speed as possible. That night I remebered a tidbit that I read in a book about the Spit. The Spit pilot would, when trying to shake someone, would I believe roll to a side and pull hard and would cut the engine(or throttle back) ato make a tighter turn causing the pursuer to overshoot.  P38 pilots would due something similar in that they would cut ONE engine when wanting to make a VERY tight banking turn. Which engine to cut would be determined by with direction the would be turning.  In AH this really holds true, more so then in WarBirds.. I think.

Enjoy
ALexander

[This message has been edited by Gorf (edited 01-28-2000).]

Offline Gorf

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2000, 10:54:00 PM »
Glad to report that last night I died 4 times in my fighter .. La-5N.. BUT. These are my kills.
1 N1K2
1 F4U1C
1 B17..lost oil then a lame bellybutton N1K2 pilot chase me down untill I lost my oil.. I had skidded..ALmOST to a STOP and THEN died. Straffed to death.  Lame ASS
1 Spit
1 190.

LONG LIVE the La-5

Gorf