Author Topic: Virus Alert  (Read 271 times)

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Virus Alert
« on: May 24, 2002, 06:21:23 PM »
I've been sent a copy of the Klez virus 5 times in the last 4 days.  It uses random subject lines so it can be kind of hard to guess whether it's a virus or not.  If you don't have IE's security patches up to date the virus will execute automatically as soon as you open the e-mail - even if you don't click on the attachment.

http://www3.ca.com/solutions/collateral.asp?CT=65&ID=1705

(I check my mail through a Unix server, so I'm not vulnerable.   The HTML message appears to be corrupted to make the attachment appear to be a sound file, which Windows will automatically try to open and play if you used Outlook or Outlook Express to view the message.)

I've received 5 different messages, but one was actually kind of funny, it read:

"Klez.E is the most common world-wide spreading worm.It's very dangerous by corrupting your files. Because of its very smart stealth and anti-anti-virus technic,most common AV software can't detect or clean it. We developed this free immunity tool to defeat the malicious virus. You only need to run this tool once,and then Klez will never come into your PC. NOTE: Because this tool acts as a fake Klez to fool the real worm,some AV monitor maybe cry when you run it. If so,Ignore the warning,and select 'continue'. If you have any question,please mail to me."

It came from "support@ipix.com" which I traced to be a real website, but they wouldn't be making any anti-virus tools.  If you look at the note that kind of gives it away too. ;)

The problem is a direct result of M$'s terrible code!  Speaking of that, take a look at: http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D701%2526a%253D26875,00.asp  It's an interesting way to try to protect your code, that's for sure. :D

Offline vatiAH

• Copper Member
Virus Alert
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2002, 06:40:02 AM »
Bloom,

It's funny you post about Klez.  We just removed and repaired Klez from 8 machines this week at work.   3 were from the same company and were networked.     Klez must be making a come back !!   I just don't understand why poeple get there jollies making and sending this crap.

Vati
Ductus Exemplo:  Lead by Example

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Virus Alert
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2002, 08:04:24 AM »
Klez is a nasty bugger, but easy to stop.

As far as security goes, XP has so many holes you could drive a dump truck through it and a firewall will not stop it.  Out of the box W2K is a nightmare.
I think it really pathetic that MS cannot button up thier operating systems.  Of course, there are a lot of things MS does that just bugs the poop out of me.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Virus Alert
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2002, 11:44:52 AM »
I got another 2 copies this morning.  This is getting annoying...

One was supposedly from "postmaster" and "undeliverable e-mail - "ACCESSKEY" "  the other was from g5hh765@earthlink.net.

Both used that same corrupted html file to try to launch a file.  One was named width.exe and was linked in the meta tags for the html file.

Did you guys read my Microsoft link?  Basically M$ is refusing to release source code because "some of it is so flawed ... it is a threat to national security." :rolleyes: