Author Topic: Amazing Battle - Is there a difference between NIK 20mm and F4U 20mm?  (Read 421 times)

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
Amazing Battle - Is there a difference between NIK 20mm and F4U 20mm?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2000, 11:45:00 PM »

Originally posted by easymo:
Forget real life ballistic,s The only thing that matters is how the game is set up. In AH everything concerning cannon has more  to do with rate of fire, than anything else. Hispanos, in AH, can get much more ammo on a target, in the same snapshot, as a nik, or LW 20mm. This is why the 2 magic 20,s on the spit are as deadly as the 4 on a nik.

I have a theory. To kill a tank, so much kenetic energy has to hit the tank at one time...

That is based on the difference in AP/HE shells needed to kill a panzer (1-2 in most cases, vs alot of HE if not point blank)

Bombs wiping out tanks easily, rockets have little effect on Panzers, and lastly

4 Hispanos that all hit at the same time, roughly, with the combined capability of AP, and HE, is a terrible amount of kenetic energy.

But of course I already know it's wrong because I would like to think all eight machine guns of the P-47 hitting the Panzer at roughly the same time would be capable of killing it according to my lame KE theory

Since Spits can kill Panzer too, (although there are alot of factors here) We know two Hispanos have enough power. So add two more, and the kill should be that much easier. Might also explain why the P-38's single Hispano is near useless against the Panzer.

But combine the Hispano's ROF, power of HE explosive, energy of the AP round, it would seem logical that at some point, the total KE delivered at one time comes in to play.

Might also explain why F4U's can penetrate frontal armor of the Panzers (boy have I been getting alot of films of those lately   )

Then again I'm prolly way off.

- Jig

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2000, 07:10:00 AM »

Originally posted by BotaBing:
#1 - Is there any difference between the 20mm on the NIK and the 20mm on the F4U?

#2 - I hit this tank, from behind, with at least 200 rounds of 20mm, probably more like 300 rounds. How can you explain that?

Try front or side next time, that seems far weaker  

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2000, 04:59:00 PM »
Actually..

In a Stip 1 sortie 6 kills. 5 Panzers & 1 m16. The targeted area was steep angle top rear turret area. Not the rear but top of the Panzer around the turret.

Dog out...

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2000, 05:47:00 PM »

Originally posted by Wardog:
Actually..

In a Stip 1 sortie 6 kills. 5 Panzers & 1 m16. The targeted area was steep angle top rear turret area. Not the rear but top of the Panzer around the turret.

Dog out...

and on my F4u-1c flight I didn't have to look where I shot.. because I got couple times with under 5 shots with hits on the side of the tank, which probably would only immobilize tank, but definetly not blow it up.

...and I've found out rear attacks being most toughest to get kills from.

by the way, only time ever when I have killed a panzer with Fw190A-8, was when I gave final shots on the tank from straight ahead and as low as possible (had to pull up at 300 yards because I was in danger to auger) and by that time I had only 60 rounds left after I had used rest on the tanks rear.