Author Topic: Is it possible to have some limitations to buff gunners?  (Read 134 times)

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
Is it possible to have some limitations to buff gunners?
« on: May 30, 2002, 12:08:41 AM »
Something like: buff gunners wont be able to fire when the buff is turning with more than XX deg bank. Or when they are spinning down in flames without a wing (i.e. when "g" force is more than XX). At least not all the gunner positions should be able to fire. IMHO this could add some more reality to fighter vs bomber duels.

I read that if you'll pull hard you'll loose your three ship formation. Thats good. Can we add some limitations to our supermen gunners? Just some ;)
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2002, 12:17:09 AM »
Or when they are spinning down in flames without a wing (i.e. when "g" force is more than XX).

Why should bombers have this limitation and not fighters?  I've never been killed by a bomber doing this, but I have been killed once by a fighter doing it.

I think that the formation stuff will probably fix what you are concerned with.  Wait and see, if it still isn't easy enough for you, then complain.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Mushkin1uk

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2002, 03:09:27 AM »
So many people,not saying you, say that they want this and they want that to make this game more reallistic, so why when they want to bring out the 3 buff formations does every one want there guns sorted to make it easier for the fighters why not just leave it if a bomber shoots you down, then it shoots you down, you didnt do somthing right and learn from it.:p

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2002, 07:49:18 AM »
This is a serious and not a whine thread. The "spinning firing wreck" was an example just to say that some buff gunners (like waist gunners or top turret maybe) under high "g" or extreme turns (50deg and more, that is) should not be able to fire so easily.
I think that a thought about possible changes about that is not a sin. And no, I've never been shot down by a spinning buff or fighter. Cheerleaders or talibans please refrain from posting ;)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2002, 08:13:55 AM by gatt »
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline Hooligan

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2002, 08:27:33 AM »
Read Pyro's announcement entitled:  Bombers in 1.10  Some limitations will be implemented in 1.10.

Hooligan

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2002, 11:09:50 AM »
If you have never been shot down by a spinning buff or fighter, then why are you asking for this change ?

Also, why would the degree of turn or G forces limit a gunner's ability to hold down the trigger ?

Currently, if a buff is executing a turn and its doesn't have a gunner, it won't be firing on you. Once the pilot switches from cockpit to gun, the buff is put into auto-level. Have you ever tried to gun in a buff when the pilot is jinking around ... extremely difficult to keep the pipper on the target.

It's a level buff that scares the crap out of me, not a spinning or turning buff.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2002, 12:32:39 PM »
Gatt is right.

Would be NICE if the gunners couldnt fire if the plane was on a high angle bank.

picture yourself in the waist or top turret guns of a B17... plane banks 50 degrees right... you think the waist gunners will be able to fire? Heck no, they'd be too busy hanging on to the walls to not fall off. The top turret gunner wouldnt be very effective either since he's standing up. Only the tail and ball turret guns couldve kept on firing like that. Maybe the nose too.

Invert a B17 in AH.. all guns can fire. Again, I think only the ball turret gunner would be able to keep firing in that situation..him being strapped on and seated 'n all.

It would be nice to have a feature like that, prevents the tight turning buffs from abusing that gamey advantage.

Offline Blindman

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2002, 12:32:26 AM »
Why couldn't a gunner be able to stand and shoot with a 50 degree, 1 G turn?
Always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.

Offline Broes

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2002, 08:19:23 AM »
Try it yourself.

If you are at the gunners position of a buff and the buff starts turning, it actually IS more difficult to hit something.

Just not impossible....

Broes