Author Topic: Name change for CT?  (Read 2715 times)

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Name change for CT?
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2002, 04:44:00 PM »
Not a bad concept there HT. Maybe mission based scoring could be implemented in some fashion to help draw people in the room to play. Although do we have to keep the "theater" moniker for it? I think that is one thing that keeps some people from going to it.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
Name change for CT?
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2002, 04:49:52 PM »
I'd love to work with ya on that, HiTech.  Lot of work for the CM's (possibly), but I wouldn't mind giving it a try.  I can see a lot of questions that would have to be addressed.  The top-most one that comes to mind is, how would you keep the arena play dynamic?  Would the CM's also "program" the strategic objectives for both sides, such that the server would know to "Take base A13, then A14..." and so on?  Would it be possible to program more strategic objectives, such as "destroy refinery?"  Would people be able to launch solo, or only as part of a mission?  What happens if you enter the arena on the half-hour?  Do you have to wait 30 minutes for the next mission?

Sabre
P.S. Wasn't this the idea "Screaming Demons Over Europe" was supposed to try?
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline Löwe

• Silver Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/duxfordeagles
Name change for CT?
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2002, 04:50:29 PM »
I really doubt the name is why the CT has less people than the MA. I think more people like the style of fighting that goes on in MA, and thats why they fly there. You can call a brick a boulder, but it's still a brick.
If CT goes to mission only flying, whats gonna happen to people that want a place to fly historical matchups, but don't want the strictness of mission parameters? I mean now if you want to fly a mission all you have to do is build one. If forced to fly missions it may loose the appeal it has now even more. I mean  I like a lot of things, but I don't want anything I like forced on me.
Just my two cents.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Name change for CT?
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2002, 05:41:47 PM »
Originally posted by Löwe
I really doubt the name is why the CT has less people than the MA. I think more people like the style of fighting that goes on in MA, and thats why they fly there. You can call a brick a boulder, but it's still a brick.
If CT goes to mission only flying, whats gonna happen to people that want a place to fly historical matchups, but don't want the strictness of mission parameters? I mean now if you want to fly a mission all you have to do is build one. If forced to fly missions it may loose the appeal it has now even more. I mean  I like a lot of things, but I don't want anything I like forced on me.
Just my two cents.

For the first month or so that the CT was around, I never logged in.  Based on the name, I thought it was just a little furball arena or something.  It wasn't until I was forced in there on a squad night that I realized what was going on.  So basically I disagree with your statement. Whatever you call it, the CT will always have lesser numbers than the main.  But, I am certain that the name contributes to the smaller numbers in the CT.  Perhaps a proper name change will only help by 5%, or maybe it will boost attendance by 50%.  Either way, I think its worth doing and will help.

I bet that it's not very simple to change the name of the CT every week.  If we are only allowed a permanent name, then I think that "Axis Vs. Allies" would be appropriate and help "sell" the arena.

eskimo

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Name change for CT?
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2002, 05:59:15 PM »
Let me clarify something in my last post.

I don't think that just going to a mission based system for scoring in this arena will entice huge numbers. I think it might bring in some but if it that was the only way to fly in the arena then it most likely would wither and die on the vine. You would need to have mission points spread across the group of pilots that successfully complete a mission to have any real impact on the numbers who will take missions. I fly TOD's when I can because it has a level that I just can not find anywhere else. I don't think I would fly hourly TOD's just because they are there.

For the name change I think Axis vs. Allies would fit or maybe Historical Matchups as the arena name would fit better.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Name change for CT?
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2002, 08:06:39 AM »
Originally posted by Löwe
If CT goes to mission only flying, whats gonna happen to people that want a place to fly historical matchups, but don't want the strictness of mission parameters?

You mean, people like me?  We will not be happy.

- oldman

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Name change for CT?
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2002, 08:38:55 AM »
although, with substitutions and all, "axis vs allied" would not be strictly correct.... It would describe the main theme of the arena far better than (cough) "combat arena".  
lazs

Offline jarbo

• Copper Member
Name change for CT?
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2002, 09:22:02 AM »
Hitech,
I've thought about the idea of "auto-executing-missions" and I like it.  Is your idea that only 1 mission runs at a time, or potentially more than one?  Would this new arena prevent the free form mission/fights that occur in the CT now?  Would the arena have the ability to switch terrains on its own (i.e. one european mission followed by a terrain change to a pacific mission 5-10 minutes before mission start)?  Would you consider incorporating the ability of the standard player to submit missions for arena, if they have something special in mind?  Maybe for a player would submit mission to a voting stack.  If a certain % of yes votes and doesn't get too many no votes, the mission would then be submitted to the arena itself.  This would allow a squad to come in an post a specific re-enactment for their squad nite.

Trying to get a better understanding of your thoughts,
Jarbo

Offline K West

• Silver Member
Name change for CT?
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2002, 10:02:44 AM »
 IMO a very sound concept HiTech.  Jonathan "BB" Baron tried that "elsewhere" and indeed it was a nice working feature - albeit with some loop holes and bugs that a small group of "griefing/gamer" type player took advantage of.  They never got around to fixing those bugs and gameplay issues and as a result the setup faded away due to lack of interest.

As for the name change to reflect more colorfully what is running in the CT? Heh :)  I recommended that many moons ago in this forum.  I never heard a word back on it.  Sounds like HTC has a plan though ;)

In any event, IMO the "billboard" SHOULD reflect what is running inside just like a marquee for a cinema does. If people who drove by or glanced at it constantly saw only "Movie Theatre" on the front that alone would not spark much curiosity nor would it give any indication of the frequent changes in the offering that occur there.  

Westy
« Last Edit: June 21, 2002, 10:06:49 AM by K West »

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
Name change for CT?
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2002, 11:48:01 AM »
How about, "Respected Pilots Arena" or "Non-Dweeb, non-Flame-You-On-The-Text-buffer-Arena?"

Or maybe even, "Fair-Play-Arena"

:)

Offline Buzzbait

• Silver Member
Name change for CT?
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2002, 06:49:28 PM »
S!

This is something which I brought up a while back.

I posted a query on this board asking people what they would think of the idea of people only being able to fly in a mission in the CT.

Personally I think it is an idea worth trying. It would solve some of the problems with low density, and it would give the CT a whole different feel.

However, I think people would need some kind of automated system to inform them as to mission start time etc.

I also think basic missions, as in 'Fighter Sweeps' etc. would be a nessesity. Make a 2 aircraft Fighter Sweep be available as a mission almost anytime. It would still have a different feel, in that players would not be flying solo, but as part of a team.

And those guys who want to get into a fight fast would not nessesarily have to wait too long to fly.

Perhaps a program could be created which would automatically generate missions.

The CT Staff could set the parameters of the program ie, what the objectives and targets are, what general types of missions, etc, then the program would generate missions.

To make a mission based CT work, I also think we would need smaller maps. We don't want the two sides running missions which don't intersect. Combat between the sides has to be the end aim.

Cheers Buzzbait

Offline Buzzbait

• Silver Member
Name change for CT?
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2002, 06:51:11 PM »
S!

By the way, I think the Arena should be called:

"World War II Combat Theater"

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Name change for CT?
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2002, 08:57:11 AM »
I think that making it a mission based arena is admiting that multiple arenas don't work.   That is not a bad thing tho...  

right now, a lot of guys look at the CT (or any other setup) as just a less populated MA with more restrictions.  It is hard to find enough guys who like the same "restrictions"...  When you get them together, they have a good time but..   The arena fades away or, becomes less of the "community" eventually or, it takes over the existing arena and the existing arena fades away...  To say that the players in a small arena are "most respected" is the root of the problem..  They are not at all respected nor, indeed, even known except by a very small group.   They "fade from the community.   If they don't show up in the main arena on occassion, everyone forgets they exist.

While I personally would hate a mission based arena.. Many would not.  that is, they would not hate it occasionaly..  It could become a change of pace arena that a lot of people would try on occassion while still mostly flying the MA.   It would become a viable alternative possibly.
lazs

Offline Blindman

• Zinc Member
THEME ARENA-PAC/BoB/Med/Rus
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2002, 01:34:34 PM »
I've seen Theme used several times to describe what the arena does so why not use it

I don't think it should always be Axis vs. Allies but themed  plane sets available to all sides sometimes

-Puke
332nd Flying Mongrels

ps lazs

what is your idea for an arena?
Always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.

Offline Blindman

• Zinc Member
THEME ARENA-PAC/BoB/Med/Rus
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2002, 01:41:41 PM »
I've seen Theme used several times to describe what the arena does so why not use it

I don't think it should always be Axis vs. Allies but themed  plane sets available to all sides sometimes

-Puke
332nd Flying Mongrels

ps lazs

what is your idea for an arena?
Always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.