Author Topic: In Aces High, you just press "E"...  (Read 253 times)

Offline robsan

• Copper Member
      • http://home.netsurf.de/robert.sander/
In Aces High, you just press "E"...
« on: May 31, 2002, 10:23:51 AM »
... in RL, you'd be doing this:

Operating Instructions for the P-47

1.PRELIMINARY CHECK
a.Obtain flight clearance.
b.Check outside of airplane.
c.Check controls.

2.ENTER COCKPIT
a.Check controls for location.
b.Check gear (see that handle is down).
c.Check flaps, handle must be in UP position.
d.Flap equalizer, on models having Flap Equalizer, closed, in down position.
e.Generator switch ON.
f.P-47B Ignition switch to BAT. P-47C, P-47D and P-47G Ignition switch OFF and master battery switch on.
g.Intercooler shutters neutral.
h.Oil cooler shutters Neutral.
i.Propeller switch ON and selector in AUTOMATIC.
j.Fuel boost pump to START and ALTITUDE. (fully counterclockwise).
k.Check fuel pressure.
l.Gun switch OFF.
m.Adjust rudder pedal.

3.STARTING ENGINE
a.Turn propeller several revolutions by hand with ignition OFF.
b.P-47B Ignition switch BAT. P-47C, P-47D and P-47G Master batter switch ON.
c.Supercharger lever OFF (full rear position).
d.Fuel selector valve MAIN.
e.Crack throttle 1/4" to 1/2" OPEN.
f.Mixture control IDLE CUT-OFF.
g.Propeller switch AUTOMATIC. Circuit Breaker ON.
h.Propeller control maximum RPM - 2700 RPM.
i.Fuel boost pump control to START and ALTITUDE.
j.Prime 2 - 4 strokes if warm and 4 - 6 if cold. As much as one-forth throttle opening and heavy priming may be necessary when extremely cold.
k.Ignition switch to BOTH.
l.Energize and engage starter, push mixture forward to AUTO RICH as soon as engine fires. If engine stops due to being loaded, open throttle wide and return mixture to IDLE CUT-OFF until engine fires again then retard throttle and return mixture to AUTO RICH. Throttle to 900 RPM.

4.WARM UP AND TAKE OFF
a.Check oil pressure (if 25 lbs is not reached in 30 seconds cut off engine).
b.Do not increase power above 1000 RPM if oil pressure is 150 to 200 lbs. Wait until it is normal. Below 90 lbs.
c.Check magnetos.
d.With flap selector handle UP (fully forward) equalize flaps to be sure that flaps will work together.
e.Unlock tail wheel and taxi.
f.Set trim tabs elevator NEUTRAL, aileron NEUTRAL, and rudder TAKE-OFF position.
g.Mixture AUTO RICH.
h.Fuel selector valve on MAIN TANK.
i.Flaps UP.
j.Cowl flaps OPEN TRAIL.
k.Lock tail wheel.
l.Open throttle not to exceed 42" (with 91 octane fuel).
m.Watch for overheating - AVOID.

5.USE OF POWER
                     MP                RPM
Take-off       52" Hg          FULL RPM (if 91 octane do not exceed 42") maximum RPM 2700
Climb           35" Hg          2500 RPM
Cruise          27" Hg          2350 (after 10 hours) first 10 hours - 25" and 2250 RPM

6.LANDING
a.Do not lower landing gear above 200 MPH.
b.Do not lower flaps above 195 MPH.
c.Never exceed 250 MPH with landing gear down.
d.Use of partial flaps (return flap handle to neutral).
e.Do not use up all of runway, land near as possible to beginning of runway.
7.WING FLAP OPERATION - EMERGENCY
In event of failure of the engine-driven hydraulic pump, the flaps may be manually lowered by use of the emergency hand pump located at the left of the pilot's seat.

8.LANDING GEAR OPERATION - EMERGENCY
Land gear operation in case of failure of engine-driven hydraulic pump. To retract landing gear move control handle to UP position as usual. Operate the hand pump until the warning light indicates that the gear is up and locked.
To extend landing gear move control lever to the DOWN position as usual. This will release the gear which should drop into position and lock due to its own weight. If the gear is still not locked down, yaw the airplane from side to side.
WARNING - Always complete landing gear cycle if possible. IF handle is move to UP allow gear to go completely up before changing valve. If handle is moved to DOWN allow gear to go completely down before changing control.

:D

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2002, 10:30:03 AM »
Hehe, I always suspected that "E" button was way overmodelled. ;)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2002, 10:37:01 AM »
Hey don't knock it, I wish the Cessna 172 I rent had a 2-key Alt-X in it!   :D

Offline Duedel

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2002, 10:42:47 AM »
Originally posted by banana
Hehe, I always suspected that "E" button was way overmodelled. ;)

ROTFL :D

Nice post robsan

Offline K West

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2002, 10:43:12 AM »
"... in RL, you'd be doing this:"

An in RL you could kill yourself (permanently too) or someone else for not doing that.

Out of curiosity do you utilise the way the AH interface let's you walk from the tower, to the hangar, map room or to the plane? Or do you have the speed maximized so that you basically go instantly from one section to another?

I don't.  I moved that slider all the way so that I'm instantaneuosly moved from one place to another. So I would vote for the above checklist/starting procedure IF it was a user setting that we could "speed" so that it essentialy is instantaneuos.

Westy

Offline DmdNexus

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2002, 11:16:08 AM »
Add to that list:
pulling the wheel chocks.
and yelling "Clear Prop" before you crank it over.

Offline Biggles

• Copper Member
      • Muzak
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2002, 11:18:16 AM »
And we have "g" for gear.

I owned a 1941 Culver Cadet LCA for a while, and to lower the landing gear you had to:

1. Make sure RPMs were below 1900 (had a throttle to landing gear interconnect cable)

2. Let go of stick but hold it still with your knees/legs.

3. Use both hands to do the following: left hand pulls up on locking pin and holds it up while right hand slowly turns the retraction wheel (about 5" diam.) and prevents it from spinning freely (which would have the weight of the gear drop them too fast).

4. When the stop is reached, right hand works the wheel side-to-side to "find" the locking detente, the point at which the locking pin can drop down into the locked position.

5. Resume flying the plane!

One time the throttle interconnect cable slipped while I was airborne, which prevented me from retarding the throttle below 1900 RPM, which meant I couldn't slow down enough to land unless I killed the engine. So I told the tower about my problem, told them I was about to make a dead-stick landing. They called out the fire trucks, just in case. I landed dead-stick and rolled off the active onto a taxiway. I had to scream at the firemen not to hose down the plane! One of the trucks threw me a rope and pulled me and plane back to my hangar. Exciting flight.

Offline dgsbdy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2002, 02:42:33 PM »
Anybody remember/have the post from AGW showing the steps necessary for a p38 pilot to go from cruise to combat ready? It was almost 12 steps as I recall,  I woulda been dead by #4 :)

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2002, 04:22:41 PM »
Originally posted by K West
"... in RL, you'd be doing this:"

An in RL you could kill yourself (permanently too) or someone else for not doing that.

Out of curiosity do you utilise the way the AH interface let's you walk from the tower, to the hangar, map room or to the plane? Or do you have the speed maximized so that you basically go instantly from one section to another?

I don't.  I moved that slider all the way so that I'm instantaneuosly moved from one place to another. So I would vote for the above checklist/starting procedure IF it was a user setting that we could "speed" so that it essentialy is instantaneuos.

Westy

Relax,

I didn't read the original post as a whine or complaint that AH lacks realism.   Just a bit of fun info.

eskimo

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2002, 05:13:56 PM »
dude you dont have time to do all that when rolling from a vulch field

As far as step 3 and Fatty is already putting Shvak 23mm on your cockpit

Offline Otto

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cris.com/~ziggy2/
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2002, 05:22:20 PM »
What I remember most about pressing ‘E’ in Northern New Jeresy was that in Febuary you’d roll about 500 feet and jump into the air.   In August you’d go about 3000 and sort of ‘sag’ off the runway with the wheels in the grass.

Offline K West

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2002, 05:46:55 PM »
"Relax, I didn't read the original post as a whine or complaint that AH lacks realism. Just a bit of fun info. eskimo"

All is a.o.k

I was just hunkering down and taking aim in case it was ;)

Westy