Author Topic: HT: Rearm, refuel, and sorties  (Read 477 times)

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
HT: Rearm, refuel, and sorties
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2002, 08:18:32 AM »
Yeah, I guess I should get to work now too. :) Have to make my own work though, none coming in yet. (The bane of the computer hardware technician, no work until someone breaks something :) )

S! Deudal.
-SW

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2002, 08:23:30 AM »
I asked HT about this when we got the pads, I want teh sortie to end when you land aswell but judging from HT's answer, being somehting like "people have wanted this for a long time" I'd say it's still a NO to the sortie ending when you stop.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2002, 11:33:57 AM »
I try to fly in a quasi-historical sense - that is use the same plane for as long as possible (rather than teleport), and I try not to get killed.  K/D is about the only number that matters in the stats to me as I feel that is what matterred in war.

To this end, and in that spirit, I wish there was a repair option of some sort.  That way a guy could maybe use the same plane for an entire session, or have that as a goal.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2002, 12:09:44 PM »
Main Entry: sor·tie
Pronunciation: 'sor-tE, sor-'tE
Function: noun
Etymology: French, from Middle French, from sortir to escape
Date: 1778
1 : a sudden issuing of troops from a defensive position against the enemy
2 : one mission or attack by a single plane
3 : FORAY, RAID
- sortie intransitive verb

If someone were forced to re-fuel twice (at airfields) before attacking a target and they make it back to the base, is that 5 sorties or 1 sortie ?
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline DmdNexus

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2002, 12:13:54 PM »
Leave it the way it is.

I'd rather HT spend their time making improvements to the game rather than making modifications to the statistics.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2002, 12:38:45 PM »
I think that the (hopefully) upcoming Pilot's Diary will resolve your issues with the current "sortie" defintion AKSWulfe.

F.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2002, 12:46:50 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
Main Entry: sor·tie
Pronunciation: 'sor-tE, sor-'tE
Function: noun
Etymology: French, from Middle French, from sortir to escape
Date: 1778
1 : a sudden issuing of troops from a defensive position against the enemy
2 : one mission or attack by a single plane
3 : FORAY, RAID
- sortie intransitive verb

If someone were forced to re-fuel twice (at airfields) before attacking a target and they make it back to the base, is that 5 sorties or 1 sortie ?

How do the air forces define it? Taking off, then coming back to land. Combat sorties are measured in terms of taking off, flying into combat, returning to base.

DmdNexus, the game to you might be more planes. The game to others might be the graphical representation and statistics/scores.

I hope so too Furious.

EDIT: I really shouldn't have to define it... if anyone was paying attention to the Gulf War... they defined sorties in terms of taking off, going to the target and coming back. Sometimes it took several sorties to destroy a target.
-SW
« Last Edit: May 30, 2002, 12:49:18 PM by AKSWulfe »

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2002, 01:01:51 PM »
"Combat sorties are measured in terms of taking off, flying into combat, returning to base"

So, if my squad is running a mission to take a base and I RTB twice before the mission is completed, is that 3 sorties or 1 sortie ?

EDIT:

Asked and answered. My answer would be 1.

Thats not how I interpreted a "sortie". My understanding is that a "sortie" is no different in definition than a "mission", and the sortie/mission is only done when completed.

I am not trying to be diificult here SW, just trying to understand where your coming from.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2002, 01:08:15 PM by SlapShot »
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2002, 01:03:22 PM »
As long as you land, 3 sorties. I assume you are rtbing to rearm and reload... that's the end of the sortie right there.
-SW

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2002, 01:10:56 PM »
Look to the right of Nadya Popova's name at the following link:
http://pratt.edu/~rsilva/others.htm

18 sorties in one night... there aren't even that many hours in one night.
-SW

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2002, 01:13:28 PM »
Thanks SW ... understood ... I agree with your point. :D
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2002, 01:25:36 PM »
People actually wanted a kill streak counter(which continued until u died or crashed) i think not neccessarily the system we have now which is until u replane.

SKurj

Offline Duedel

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2002, 02:52:05 AM »
Hi Wulfe (and the rest) I'm here again and... I reconsidered this topic and...

(Ta taaa) Ur right! I have to admit ur totally right!

A kill streak counter (which continued until u died or crashed) tells the truth. Thats it. Nothing more. U got my vote. Thx for explanation.

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2002, 10:31:04 AM »
SKurj I really like the idea of  kill streak counter.  Maybe the host message could have two numbers?

SYSTEM:  Victory 4 by Octavius of VMF-323 Death Rattlers.  25 Kill streak.

Here, I claimed four kills in the SORTIE while claiming 25 kills since my last crash/death/bail.  For a compromise, the sortie will end once you touch down come to a complete stop as SW wants :)  This would be a neat change =]

EDIT:  the Streak counter would carry over after you replane.  Perhaps there could be separate kill streaks for each category?  Fighter, Attack, Bomber, Vehicle?  Or just lump the whole # of kills together.
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]