Author Topic: Stuttering uncontrollably with Geforce 2 mx 400  (Read 618 times)

Offline RoyofCA

• Zinc Member
Stuttering uncontrollably with Geforce 2 mx 400
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2002, 10:01:48 PM »
First, "change settings" is like saying "find something"

its vague, does you no good, and confuses you into doing alot of stuff that are a waste of time (I.E. changing everyone of my settings until everything works, which i've already done oddly...). No offense, thanks anyway for trying bud.

Second, I got it working for a few days, and now it is back AGAIN. It will not stop this time either, so I am back to not playing AH.

I really hope I get a response soon. It has been days now. This time it happened as the bishops lost hq radar and I was about to lead a resupply mission.

I am kind of bummed, but I guess problems happen, so I will keep paying, as long as I can fix this before my next billing cycle.

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2002, 11:59:14 PM »
Originally posted by RoyofCA
First, "change settings" is like saying "find something"

its vague, does you no good, and confuses you into doing alot of stuff that are a waste of time (I.E. changing everyone of my settings until everything works, which i've already done oddly...). No offense, thanks anyway for trying bud.

Second, I got it working for a few days, and now it is back AGAIN. It will not stop this time either, so I am back to not playing AH.

I really hope I get a response soon. It has been days now. This time it happened as the bishops lost hq radar and I was about to lead a resupply mission.

I am kind of bummed, but I guess problems happen, so I will keep paying, as long as I can fix this before my next billing cycle.

Try this....

Go to Guru3D and download Detonator Destroyer.

Next go to Nvidia's website and download the latest official Detonator XP drivers, 28.32 I think.

Now run Detonator Destroyer and follow the instructions on completely uninstalling the Detonator XP drivers from your system.

After you've done that, install the Detonator XP drivers you've just downloaded.  Reboot the computer and once back in Windows, reinstall DirectX 8.1.

Do not try to overclock your card once you've reinstalled the drivers.  Try logging on AH first and see if it works.

Ack-Ack
479th FG - Riddle's Raiders

Offline Steven

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2002, 02:52:54 AM »
I have the same card, the GeForce2 MX which only has 16 Megs VRAM.  But I have this card with a Sony Intel P4 1.3 Gig machine and I get them stutters at times too.  It's not so bad that the game is unplayable, but it is kinda weird and takes away from the feel of a smooth flight.  Also, I don't always get them, just occasionally.  Like you, I shut everything off in the background before I play and that doesn't seem to do didly-squat in terms of it happening or not.  And I have the most recent driver...that Detonater one someone else mentioned.  I do really think it's the small VRAM causing the problems.

Offline RoyofCA

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2002, 02:29:15 PM »
I have talked with nvidia.

Due to the conditions of where I live (california) the geforce card I have is known to fail.

To solve this I have to have a big old floor fan going just to cool down my vid card (even though my temp says it should be fine)

I have absolutely no idea why nvidia would make a card that could not withstand temps of 90 (outside, lower inside) but I made sure and told the BBB about what horrible customer service I got (a month to respond? no, that is poor service) and about their less-than-quality products.

Sorry but it looks like you guys were right, the card sucks, and even at mildly-high temps it can overheat and/or explode:eek: (nvidia's words not mine) so thank you for the help everyone, and I promise to never by another nvidia/geforce product ever again .

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2002, 06:50:52 PM »
i recently replaced a first gen gf2mx (non 200/400 etc) 32mb sdr

I thot it was a GREAT card for the price.  The only issues i had with the card were drivers, i settled on a beta set.. 27.10's.. which as it turns out work best for me still, and now I use a gf4 mx 440 64mb ddr

SKurj

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2002, 09:40:07 AM »
Originally posted by RoyofCA
I have talked with nvidia.

Due to the conditions of where I live (california) the geforce card I have is known to fail.

Would you mind telling me which of these beauties you so proudly own?  I also have a GeForce 2 AGP 64Meg and have gotten some very weird stuff happening...  Mine is a Vision Tek card.  
Drivers are a pain... FR fluctuates drastically.  Went from a VooDoo 3 PCI 16Meg card about 8 months ago and my FR went up - but nearly as much as I expected - about 10 FPS...  

I think I might be in the market for a Radeon Card soon...

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2002, 01:42:45 PM »
BigMax... what cpu are u using?

10fps kinda implies you don't have enough power behind the video card.

SKurj