Author Topic: WWII Books  (Read 355 times)

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
WWII Books
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2002, 09:44:43 AM »
Just a quick review as I poured through “I flew for the Furer”.

It was worth the $5 already.

This guy went through more 109’s, it almost was comical if it wasn’t real. He had to have more jumps than a certified skydiver instructor.

The horror, and gore he saw, and still went up sometimes moments later was horrid.

And when you hear him describe the 50-1 odds late in the war, it left you routing for the Germans in a sad pitiful way.

Personally, I’d refrain from “gangbang” whines in AH. His response in real life was one of eager anticipation to shoot them all down. Hell, he even went up with unserviceable planes, and tried not to pull G’s as it would fall apart.

This whole pretence of needing a 1V1 in equal planes and if that specific gameplay criteria is not met is a somehow a showstopper seems ridiculous. In Ah you can gain a small personal victory vs. the odds, in the real deal, you just stopped what you could and then were cut to pieces by 50 cals and burned to death.

I’m finding great merit in reading what really happened and thinking that attitude might want to be practiced online.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
WWII Books
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2002, 09:53:32 AM »
Your scaring me Creamo, decent posts, no vulgar language, no insulting...hmmm....

Anyway,
Great price on that discovery! from that list I have:

Fighting the Flying Circus – Rickenbacker
I Flew For The Furer – Knoke
Heaven High---Hell Deep – Archibold
The Big Show – Clostermann
Wing Leader – Johnson
My Secret War – Drury
Samuria! – Sakai

One B17 book I highly recommend (forgive me if the title is wrong, or correct me, its at home) is "The Bloody 100th" or something to that title...obviously about the bloody 100th.

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
WWII Books
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2002, 11:01:11 AM »
Nice books in the above posts :) ... I'd add:

- The Look of The Eagles (Godfrey)
- Messerchmitts Over Sicily (J.Steinhoff)
- The Last Enemy (Hillary)
- Serenade to The Big Bird (B.Stiles)
- Fighter Pilot (P.Richey)
- Piece of Cake (the best fiction book around by, D.Robinson)
- Mustang Ace (Goebels)
- Hell Island (Mc Caffery)

I really love Clostermann's book (I've got the original 1st edition). Reading it you can almost really feel the fear and the desperation of a tired pilot.

Stiles and Hillary books are *very good*. Two classics.
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
WWII Books
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2002, 11:05:50 AM »
.... and Straffo,
"Terre des Hommes" is my favourite book *ever* ;)
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
WWII Books
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2002, 11:09:43 AM »
Lucky guy, Creamo. I have trouble to find Johnson's and Sakai's books.

You should begin with the Big Show. Very well written.

If you can find them, don't miss:

- Stuka pilot, by Hans Ulrich Rüdel
- The first and the last, by Adolf Galland

and, on top of all of them, a real jewel:

- Enemy Coast Ahead, by Guy Gibson (who led the Rhur's Dams raid). I re-read it at least once every year.
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman