Author Topic: WW2 Airshow in Reading,PA This Weekend  (Read 496 times)

Offline Vipermann

• Nickel Member
WW2 Airshow in Reading,PA This Weekend
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2002, 12:50:25 PM »
Is that in your rocket sled? I think I may have seen you flash by me once.

Maybe  :)

That time was clocked on a Sunday morning on the way to one Eagles game. A friend has season tickets and we were at almost every home game.
Get Busy Living Or Get Busy Dieing

Offline Arrow

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2002, 03:31:55 PM »
Ahhh, Oldman.

You were talking about me even though you may not have known that. :)

The plane in which you are referring to is the very reason I've been MIA from Aces High for such a long time.

Here's a shot of her.  She ain't from the erra we have all come to love but she's mine. :)

I'll be launching from Atlantic City in the early morning and should arrive at RDG while most folks are sitting in traffic.  I want to give rides and if I am able, I will.

The big issues are restrictions to air traffic (we'll see) and time in general.  The field is closed to arrivals and departures between 11:30 and 16:30 EDT.  If there isn't a ton of flyin traffic,  it will be very easy to get people up.

The restriction as far as the airplane goes, I can't take a passenger that weights over 200lbs.  Hell, you wouldn't fit in the back seat at all not to mention I couldn't carry enough gas for a decent flight.

For information on the plane:
It is a Rutan VariEze.  
- She was built in 1979
- Total Time Airframe 1150 Hrs
- Total Time Engine Since Major Overhaul 150 Hrs
- Yes, that is me flying her in the photo
- No it can't outrun a P51
- Yes it can out turn a Zeke!
- It's rated at 14Gs but I'm not testing the theory.
- Yes, there is a retractable nose gear.
- Yes There is a stick for the back seater.
- She tops out in level flight around 170 true and burns 5 gallons per hour.
- She carries up to 25.5 gallons of fuel and has a 700nm range give or take depending on the winds.

- Yes she flies very much like a figher save the power.  I have a Continental O200 (100HP) engine which was taken out of a Cessna 150 about 20 years ago.  Just for the sake of comparrison.  A C150 will cruize at 85kts with the same motor.

- Yes, this is an X-Plane and No it's not the same version that John Denver killed himself in.

- Yes, I'll be the goofball in a Royal Blue Nomex Flight Suit. :)  I hope to meet as many of you as possible.

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2002, 03:43:42 PM »
There ya go Oldman you got your answer:)

YO ARROW!!!!!!!!
where we all gonna meet and what time?

You need me to bring anything you can't fly in????? Video cam? ETC?

NUTTZ ( 199 Lbs. and dropping to 195 by Saturday)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2002, 03:58:24 PM »
Originally posted by Arrow
I want to give rides and if I am able, I will.

Yo, Arrow!  A pleasure to make your acquaintence!

I was only funning Nuttz, Arrow.  It's very nice of you to offer rides (and I note my no-longer-slim 172 lbs is close to your limit), but I think that will be a nightmare to actually do.  Not to mention the lines that would form, and all those people with guns and stuff...

But I sure do want to meet you.  It's always important to know people who own alien spacecraft!

- oldman

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2002, 04:02:29 PM »
Originally posted by NUTTZ
Where is the OC club? May I suggest for those like me who are fashionably late, to  wear a small white ribbon  on one sleeve maybe?

some of us are exchanging cell phone numbers, But i know many of you won't do that.

Well, Nuttz, if you had an e-mail that we could access, quite possibly people would give you their cell phone numbers.  For myself, I'm not quite ready to post it on these boards, because I suspect it will shortly afterwards appear on numerous bathroom walls throughout not just the US, but the entire world.

The O-Club is at one end of a structure which sits across the ramp from the big hanger, usually near where the tents are set up - you'll find it easily enough.  It's made up to look like the officers' bar in Twelve O'clock High, and is complete with green toby on the mantle.

- oldman

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2002, 06:32:37 PM »

Offline aknimitz

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2002, 06:54:09 PM »
I'm thinkin' about trying to make it myself. Shows only to be 2.5 hours or so from DC. Not sure as of yet though. Nuttz, I'll get with you and give you my cell if I come!

Nim

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2002, 08:33:03 PM »
Hehe,

It's going to be the first annual East Coast Aces High Con.

See ya's at the O'club at 1:00!!!

Offline TMAW

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2002, 10:59:32 AM »
F4UDOA Driving out Rt 70 Cherry Hill is about 1 hr from where I live, how far is Reading from Cherry Hill?  1 1/2  2 hours?

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2002, 12:34:12 PM »
Is it always in Reading? Will it ever come farther West? say Pittsburgh International? LOL

Hey CPR, Beeg lets go to Reading ROAD TRIP! I'll pay for the Turnpike and the Booze!

Man I wish I had a car, let alone an airplane.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2002, 03:42:07 PM »
TMAW,

It's about 1.5 hours from me.

I'm meeting a freind at Planet fitness gym on route 70 at 8:30AM if you want to meet up. If not see ya there. It's not far.

BTW, I have seen every A/C in this show many times. I go for the unbelievable amount of books and back order magazines at this show. All for a dollar each. I bring a shopping bag home of stuff every year. It's awesome!!

Offline Beegerite

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2002, 06:41:28 PM »
You and Mr. CPR can drive east from PIT to RDG in about 4.5 hrs., I will drive from Lancaster in 45 minutes.  You'll all recognize me as I'll be wearing my Rook hat

http://www.gonocos.homestead.com/RRR_Beeger.html

I would suggest that those of you who are Bish wear your condom hats so we'll know who you are :D

Beeg

Originally posted by Nefarious
Is it always in Reading? Will it ever come farther West? say Pittsburgh International? LOL

Hey CPR, Beeg lets go to Reading ROAD TRIP! I'll pay for the Turnpike and the Booze!

Man I wish I had a car, let alone an airplane.

Offline Beegerite

• Copper Member
Re: Is it really that far?
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2002, 06:51:49 PM »
There are directions on the website but from memory here's the way I would come if I was coming from New Jersey which by the way I did just yesterday (Wildwood Crest to Lancaster 3 hrs flat and I suppose reading would also be 3 hrs flat.  Take I-76 (Surekill to Valley Forge) to Morgantown exit then I believe I-176 north to Reading.
Beeg

Originally posted by TMAW
I was thinking of going until I checked out their directions and it says 3 1/2 hours from the Jersey Shore. For me to drive to Philadelphia it is only about an hour, is Reading really that much further west than Phily? Any of you Pa guys know different?

Offline DES

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2002, 08:47:06 PM »
(waving at Beegerite from New Providence) Howdy neighbor>

DES

Offline Beegerite

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2002, 09:11:55 PM »
Any of you guys Bash?  Used to fly in AH and he was from Reading.  
Beeg
P.S. This officer's club on the main airport side or on the side where the MAAM is?