Author Topic: Sorties vs. Kills  (Read 184 times)

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
Sorties vs. Kills
« on: June 05, 2002, 11:13:40 AM »
disclaimer: I don't care what you fly.  

Just a thought on this spit horde thing.

It seems that folks are using the number of kills by a plane as a reference to its volume of use.  This, I think, is incorrect.  It is an indicator of its successful use.  

Spits kill other spits, just as C-hogs killed other C-hogs.

It is my impression that about 1/3 of all enemy I see are of the spit variety.  But this is just an impression.  Would be interesting to see "sortie" stats for each plane, as this would be a better indication of use.

...but like I said, I don't care what you fly.  This is not a spit whine.  I enjoy killing them.  The more the merrier.

F.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2002, 11:38:25 AM by Furious »

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Sorties vs. Deaths
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2002, 11:35:00 AM »
I don't know furious....

Spits usually can't escape fights.  Its why alot of people see them... they simply can't get away.  The same is not true of P-51s, La-7s, 190D, 109G-10 and a few others.

If a plane excells in furballs... its less likely to RTB simply because disengaging from a furball is not the easiest thing in the world to do.  If a plane has the speed to hang up high and stay faster than the other lower planes... it is much more survivable.

When a plane can engage and disengage at will... you will not see it as often.  When one cannot... you will.

I think you'd find that the slower planes are less likely to RTB.  The faster planes have a better look at the RTB option.

AKDejaVu

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Sorties vs. Deaths
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2002, 12:05:21 PM »
It's my impression that 100% of the red icons I see turn out to be enemy aircraft. I think we should perk the red icons and perk 'em pretty high too.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Sorties vs. Deaths
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2002, 12:09:38 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
It's my impression that 100% of the red icons I see turn out to be enemy aircraft. I think we should perk the red icons and perk 'em pretty high too.

Then what will you shoot if no one pays for that perk? ;)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Sorties vs. Deaths
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2002, 12:16:24 PM »
It will be the dawning of the Age of Aquarius, the Age of Aquar-REE-us!

Harmony and understanding

Sympathy and trust abounding

No more falsehoods or derisions

Golden living dreams of visions

Mystic crystal revalation

And the mind's true liberation

Aquarius!

Aquarius!

:D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
Sorties vs. Deaths
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2002, 12:32:07 PM »
Toad,

Clever post, but pointless.

I don't care what you fly.   Not trying to belittle or berate anyone for their choice.  We all are frikking dweebs for caring about a computer game so much.

I am simply pointing out that because xxxx plane has 10-12% of total kills does not mean that the arena is composed of only 10-12% of that plane.

The % of total kills has been used to "prove" that a plane is not used as much is percieved.  I'm just saying that line of reasoning is incorrect.

My post is really an advocation for a "sorties flown" stat, more than anything.  Don't really want that information to use against anyones choice, just think it would be interesting to see.

F.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Sorties vs. Deaths
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2002, 12:41:05 PM »
This confirms it: Toad is a closet hippie pinko!

;)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Sorties vs. Deaths
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2002, 12:49:20 PM »
Originally posted by Furious
Clever post, but pointless.

Thank you. I agree. On both points.

I don't care what you fly.   Not trying to belittle or berate anyone for their choice.  We all are frikking dweebs for caring about a computer game so much.

I agree and concur, on all three ideas.

I am simply pointing out that because xxxx plane has 10-12% of total kills does not mean that the arena is composed of only 10-12% of that plane.

Once again, you are totally correct and I agree. It's a point often ignored by the Sixth Sense "I see Spitfires!" crowd.

The % of total kills has been used to "prove" that a plane is not used as much is percieved.  I'm just saying that line of reasoning is incorrect.

Suprise. I agree again.

My post is really an advocation for a "sorties flown" stat, more than anything.  Don't really want that information to use against anyones choice, just think it would be interesting to see.

Yep, me too. I think it would suprise a lot of the Sixth Sense guys.

So, you see, your intial assessment was totally correct. Pointless post; merely an attempt to lighten the mood on the BBS.

BTW, I forgot to mention that when I'm up fighting, I see WAY TOO MANY of those red icons?

;)

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
Sorties vs. Deaths
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2002, 12:53:46 PM »
Toad,

Ok.

I thought you might have been misinterpreting the intention of my post and lumping me in with some "other" folks.  :)

F.

Offline HFMudd

• Nickel Member
Sorties vs. Deaths
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2002, 01:24:28 PM »
In addition to sorties flown, I'd also like to see total hours flown or average sortie length.

My personal experience is that I fly more (quicker) sorties in a Hurri IIC (base defense) than in a Yak-9U (Mindinao fun) than in a 190A-5 (my favorite plane) than in a P51-B (dance with the angels)

As such, I think my kills (and deaths) per period of time flown will be higher for furballers than for e-fighters.  Being able to note that while the Hurri IIC gets say, 1 kill per 1.4 minutes is tempered by fact the average lifetime of a Hurri IIC is 3.6 minutes might help diffuse the resultant PERK THE HURRI threads.  (Yes, of course I know it won't, but I can dream.)

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
Sorties vs. Deaths
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2002, 02:06:00 PM »
As long as you remember sorties isn't a true accurate count on its own.  There have been several times in a tour where I'd spawn on the run way and despawn or land immediately for whatever reason.  Spawn and see a vulcher coming in...  despawn!  Spawn and see a squaddie say "need help at aXX" where aXX ain't near me, so I despawn.  Or see I was dumb and forgot that the last time I took off I only had 25% fuel.  etc.

However, I agree it's still a better stat that pure kills to determine usage, as I maybe despawn 2-3% of my sorties at most.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Sorties vs. Deaths
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2002, 02:06:51 PM »
oops wrong thread.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2002, 02:10:08 PM by lazs2 »

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
Sorties vs. Deaths
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2002, 02:14:00 PM »
I might be wrong, but I don't think AH counts it as a sortie unless you actually lift off the ground.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Sorties vs. Deaths
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2002, 02:27:49 PM »
Maybe it shouldn't count as a sortie until you are gear and flaps up and at or near maneuvering speed for at least one minute. That would at least eliminate the "he never had a chance" vultches. :)

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Sorties vs. Deaths
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2002, 02:30:06 PM »
AH starts a sortie when you click fly.

It doesn't count multiple sorties after you click fly and use the rearm/refuel pad though... which I believe to be incorrect.
-SW