Author Topic: against the odds (icon topic)  (Read 580 times)

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
against the odds (icon topic)
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2000, 05:48:00 PM »
 I think they should make turning off the icons mandatory, when you join a squad  

Offline Wraith

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2000, 07:11:00 PM »
Well, why not simply have the icons be visible at 1000 yards or 500 yards? That would make up for the "pc" graphics problem.

-\/\/R/-\IT|-|

"The only two things that fall from the sky is manna from heaven, and your plane."

Offline Camel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2000, 09:46:00 PM »
Another Icon post full of great ideas.

Sitting here reading the board too tired to play after a hard day at work again, and I come across another "Icon" post. One of those topics that comes around every couple of months since ive started playing online sims.
 I have only expirenced AH, DOA, and WB and its been pretty much the same for the Main Arena since WB1.10 for me. I would have to assume this is the norm for most sims, and is what most are accustomed too. Can AH or any sim afford to mess with this system without replacing what is being lost due to graphics? Are graphics or resolutions better or higher than 3 or 4 years ago? Yeah, and its probably time to make some adjustments to the current system that we have used for so long.
 On the other hand, maybe it has nothing to do with how well we see, but rather how intense it could be, causing less sorties due to fatigue. Which leaves me less guys to kill which leaves me bored.
 Well, guess I need 2 Arenas!

Offline Sundog

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2000, 11:06:00 PM »
Actually, what I think would be interesting is if ICONS disappeared `below' 1k range from aircraft (Thats range, not altitude). We have gunsites available to determine proper shooting distance. Whether or not HTC can make them adjust so that convergence matches gunsites or not, I dont know.

I personally prefer the no icon or friendly icons only type events, but that won't fly in the MA. I also liked AH in the beta when DAR only showed how many enemy were in a grid, but not where. I think AH was much more fun back then, in terms of strategy, because you had to use the radio to convey position.

Anyway, if Icons would disappear below 1k range, I think that would make the fighting much more intense. Just my two cents.

[This message has been edited by Sundog (edited 07-06-2000).]

ezrust

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2000, 11:43:00 PM »
I really like Milnko's idea of status reports rather than in flight radar.

I also see the need for there to be allowances for two dimensional computer monitors- but isn't that what the 3d cockpit and zoom feature are?  Unlike Warbirds, I can see around my headrest and over the side of my plane and I can zoom in to scan for enemies.  So why do we still have icons?

Every time there is an icon post there are scores of replies attacking the present system so why don't we at least experiment with some of these excellent ideas?  I like icons growing more opaque the closer you are.  I like icons showing up much closer.  I like no icons and bigger planes.  I like plane paint schemes reflecting friend or foe.  Let's just try SOMETHING.
WWII Online claims to be a two sided affair with no icons.  Those two things alone pique my interest.  I really love Aces High, the community, and espescially the company size because they are able to and do listen to the community and make changes based on customer concerns.  Let's see some experimentation on these issues.

------------------
RUST

[This message has been edited by ezrust (edited 07-06-2000).]

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2000, 10:09:00 PM »
EZ,

Agreed!

I think we presntly need some sort of icon IFF.

I also think the present system could be improved by making it "less". We don't need all they're giving us.

We do need to experiment. I hope and believe that it's going to happen.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2000, 11:50:00 PM »
Well, the way I see it, all this "realism" and all the work put in to make this sim as realistic as possible is completely wasted if the icons are up.

I mean, heck, if I got alt advantage, I dont want the other dope to simply scan around.. OH THERES A BIG RED BILLBOARD!. Black dots are WAY easy to spot as it is. I dont need a billboard screaming my presence. The ZOOM feature is the equivalent of the pilot having a pair of binoculars, so ZOOM and see.

Billboards should appear at 2k range or less ONLY. If you have not spotted the guy that's jumping you by then, chances are you are dead anyway.

Today I was supporting CavemanJ's Panzer on an assault on a base. There was a red panzer somewhere killing my guys. It took some time and effort to find the tank. Coordinating with Cave and other panzers to locate the target. And there it was, when I got near it, the billboard popped up! THAT is EXACTLY what this game needs for the airplanes.

If you jump a friendly.. well, you will see his billboard at 2k rage or less.. what better IFF than that?

Right now, pilots depend TOO much on those billboards.. heck the whole thing is based on them. High dot, 8k range, red.. oooh id better avoid it... low dot, red, 5k below... engage.

I say, try no icons (or icons to appear when at 2k or less) for one week. Just ONE week. I believe we will see a LOT of change in combat strategy.

Got the guts to try it?  

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2000, 12:33:00 AM »
Information:long distance(starting at 10k), red dot 4 nme, green dot for friend.

Close range(4500) nly a range,don't care what country or what plane, just need its range within the 4500 yd radius of me.

Just basic info.  I think I use the billboards too much as it is.  Seems I only look for the plane when it's time to pull the trigger!!  I think I should be watching the plane at all times.  Currently your eye is drawn to the icon not the plane.