Author Topic: Moving AH installation to other drive/HD.  (Read 388 times)

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
Moving AH installation to other drive/HD.
« on: May 29, 2002, 12:11:46 PM »
Any problems occurring when removing the current AH version to another drive (ie. from d:\ to c:\) which is located in another Hard Disk?

Any experiences?

I won't hold anyone responsible if my puter blows up ...ect. :D

Need an answer ASAP, thanks in advance!!

EDIT/For example are you still able to change your settings with out them always going back to the state they were in before the move? (This has happened when one copies installed program from a burned CD to hard disk for example)/EDIT
« Last Edit: May 29, 2002, 12:14:54 PM by Wmaker »
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline weazel

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2002, 01:54:15 PM »
I have a zip file containing my settings, sounds, and terrain folder I use it when new versions are released.

I always uninstall, defrag, install the new version then unzip the files into the AH directory.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2002, 02:03:51 PM »
If you move the program the registry will not find it and it may not function properly.

F.

Offline snafu

• Silver Member
      • http://www.btinternet.com/~snaffers
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2002, 03:45:14 PM »
Hi wmaker,
 I would think the easiest way to do this would be to back up your entire AH folder (As suggested above) then "uninstall AH". Download the "Base" version and install on the new drive (This should sort out registry settings). Finally restore your backup over the new AH folder. I did a similar thing to set AH up on my brothers system (Yes 2 different systems I know but the principle should work OK). I backed mine up to a CD (Unzipped) and just copied over the base. I did have problems with "read only files" and had to use the "Dos attrib" command to restore the permissions but other than that and having to delete "video7.cfg because he had an old voodoo no problems.

TTFN
snafu

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2002, 06:34:05 AM »
To do that properly, you need a product that can transfer applications. I would recommend Norton Cleansweep 2002. Go to the Symantect website for more info.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2002, 07:14:08 AM »
You can copy the whole AH folder where you want the only drawback would be with the Auto updater (you will be have to manualy set the directory)

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2002, 01:12:24 PM »
well you could copy your terrains\settings and anything you dont want to lose folders then download it onto the other drive and install it there then replace the new folders with the old ones that you kept

Offline spiffykraits

• Copper Member
      • http://home.clara.net/spiff
moving AH to another drive
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2002, 05:45:47 PM »
You can use a utility called coa32.exe, that scans the registry, all ini files, shortcuts etc and changes all the drive letter information for you in all the entries.  It works fine for win95/win98, and win98SE, probably works with ME, but have no knowledge whether it works for XP -doubt it.  If you have win98 try it.

Copy AH to the other drive, then run Coa32 and fill in the source drive and new destination drive letters and folders, and it will do the business.

There's a copy on http://www.airwar.org.uk/filestor.html

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
      • http://www.56thfightergroup.com
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2002, 10:06:25 PM »
Originally posted by straffo
You can copy the whole AH folder where you want the only drawback would be with the Auto updater (you will be have to manualy set the directory)

what straffo said.  Just move the entire AH directory wherever.  Mine has lived in E:\Aces High for forever through countless Windows installs.  Never had any problems.  There's only one registry key that I know of and its only purpose is to tell the upgrade apps where AH lives.

edit:  you can't do this with any old program, but it works with AH.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2002, 05:58:43 PM by Sancho »

Offline Black Sheep

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/empire21productions
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2002, 03:12:50 AM »
dont know about the transfer - but if you are using 2 hard drives - most programs run better when not on the same drive as the system drive

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2002, 05:55:18 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone!! Sorry for the late answer...spent last week in FAF reserve training.

Only propblem I (so far) had was getting default flap/airraid sounds on top of my custom ones...easy to fix that. :) OTOH just remembered that I havent tried to change any settings yet :o. But if they won't change properly I have a cure for that too thanks for this nice community! :)
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!