Author Topic: 'Dragging 101' and 'Dragging 101A'.  (Read 308 times)

Offline poopster

• Silver Member
'Dragging 101' and 'Dragging 101A'.
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2002, 10:06:45 PM »
Dragging is for the most part a lost art. To the point that setting the table more times than not is met with indifference.

Have a conga line in tow, head for a group of higher friendlies, make your setup turn...

And the friendlys keep on, keep on truckin...

Or, have a couple dive in, and you get to "that" point, start a gentle climb to lay them out for your buddies, and they can't put the guy down...

And as you said on the flip side, not "setting" the drag when they have the help.

But everyone is learning, lota fun.

I just try to not put myself in the dragger position if I can avoid it.

But sh*t happens :D

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2002, 10:42:04 PM »

Dragging is an art. Most folks in the main think situational awareness only relates to the knowing where and what the enemy is. With the Icon system in the main most folks have no idea what their country mates around them are flying. I have been in many situations where I am in a position to clear a country mates six and at the last moment before I get a guns solution my country mate breaks hard into me. Leaving me in the position to force a shot and bleed my e or go into a pitch back manuver. Most of the time he will be killed before I get around in a hi yo yo to clear him.

Flying in a squad with fellows who fly the same planes makes "dragging" and "clearing" much easier. When preforming evasives you must be aware of the abilities of the plane and pilot trying to clear you. Never turn into him cutting his angle. Communicate with the guy clearing your six. With the new integrated vox in Aces High it makes it easier to communicate. Think in terms of "setting up" the bandit not just in avoiding his guns. However, fly to live. Dont just stay level catching bullets wondering when help will arrive. Always turn away from your help and keep an eye on his position. Dont make drastic hard manuvers. Just because you're in a niki or spit that doesnt mean the rest of us are. Again staying alive is number 1 concern but all the hard manuvers most likely wont save. Your friends most likely will if you work with him.

Offline pbirmingham

• Copper Member
      • http://bigscary.com
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2002, 11:02:56 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2

I only count on squaddies to clear my six... cuts down on the disapointment.
lazs

Same here, although I do get some pleasant surprises from time to time.

Offline DarkglamJG52

• Copper Member
      • http://www.yonkis.com
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2002, 04:40:17 AM »
Originally posted by MANDOBLE
Nothing hardest than trying to help a friend in a spit being pursued by another spit.

En el caso del Spit amigo, lo más probable es que gire hacia a ti y te deje el otro de frente intentando hacerte un HO.
Si tu estás con malote a las 6 y viene un Spit amigo de frente y con más altura y E, no esperas que haga un Inmelman descendente y se ponga a las 6 del enemigo para matarlo, siempre intentara el HO y seguira de largo a por el siguiente HO.

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2002, 04:54:27 AM »
Originally posted by mason22

that reminds me...aminal did that last night when i was trying to smoke the spit that was chasing him....right aminal  ;)

You Idiot I was slow and that spit was 200 yards from me, what was I supposed to do, sit like a tard so you can try your poor gunnery as his hispanos punctured my skull.

Offline Apar

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2002, 06:22:02 AM »
Good point wulfie.

Have been in the clearing position many times. I make ONE pass only while trying to keep E high, and only when I have a clear escape route to egress. Especially in the ocasions where a friendly is chased by 3 or 4 I love to come in on the last one in the row, plink him, make him break, fly through to next one, etc, until friendly is clear.

Before I do so I check 6 the friendly to let him know I'm aware of his situation and tell him on range channel I'm IN. If I see he's going into wild evasives which I can't follow with high speed, I'm OUT, tuff luck for the friendly he's on his own from that point on.

If you want your six cleared by a friendly with a high E-state you have to minimize the amount of G you pull, because 9/10 don't want to give up all their E just to save your sorry butt.

Apar

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2002, 08:08:00 AM »
pop... believe me... I am aware of the fact.

Have to say... last night I took the chance and drug a few for some newer guys and they did great.   I also seen a few cases of 5 guys not being able to kill one con for a very very long time.

I also cleared a maw guy who had a pee 51 on him.   I'm sure the maw was frustrated by how long it took me but I don't think he saw that he also had another friendly with a 51 on it in the conga line.  I couldn't get the front 51 until I got the last 51 or I would'a dropped in right in front of his sights plus... the last 51 was about to eat the frindly in front of him who seemed unaware.
lazs

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2002, 10:00:43 AM »
Originally posted by Tac
true cave. I only make 1 attempt to clear someone's 6, if they turn hard when im doing it, I dont even try for a snapshot I just pull up to climb again and leave them to their fate.

This is why it is essential to talk to the guy being pursued. Tell him where you are and what you are going to do. Also tell him what you want HIM to do.

I can offer two examples from last evening near A1.

I had just finished a bounce of a B-17, attacking straight down in my P-51B. Easing out of the dive, I see a Rook fighter being chased by a Knit F4U. They are both about 5 k below me on a similar heading. Immediately, I contact the Rook pilot (Dark-something, I think) and explain exactly what I intended to do. I told him NOT to turn the Corsair, or I couldn't make the shot with the speed I was carrying. Exactly as hoped for, the Rook pilot limited his evasive maneuvering to jinking. 15 seconds later, his pursuer exploded.

A little while later, it's my turn to drag. Playing tag with several Knits between A19 and A1, I spot a Typhoon trying to gain position on my 6. I break hard right and the Tiffy follows. I set maneuver flaps and we go around and around in a Lufberry. I'm slowly easing away, but it will take a lot of turns to work around the circle and gain position on the Typhoon. Meanwhile, another Rook Mustang comes down to take a crack at the Knit. However, our tight circle doesn't provide much more than a bad angle snapshot, which the Typhoon driver ignores. As the Mustang sets up for another run, I reverse my turn hard left, and the Tiffy tries to follow. This causes him to straighten out long enough for the onrushing Mustang to blow his wing off.

These are two good examples of teamwork, largely successful due to voice communication.

Use the radio guys. It makes life a lot easier and greatly helps in this sort of situation. However, should the teammate in trouble not follow instructions, or simply ignore them, leave him to his fate, he's earned it.

My regards,

Widewing
« Last Edit: June 13, 2002, 01:20:22 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Packy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2002, 10:18:14 AM »
Wotan,

Thank you for the succinct post and illustration on dragging!

Originally posted by Wotan

Dragging is an art. Most folks in the main think situational awareness only relates to the knowing where and what the enemy is. With the Icon system in the main most folks have no idea what their country mates around them are flying. I have been in many situations where I am in a position to clear a country mates six and at the last moment before I get a guns solution my country mate breaks hard into me. Leaving me in the position to force a shot and bleed my e or go into a pitch back manuver. Most of the time he will be killed before I get around in a hi yo yo to clear him.

Flying in a squad with fellows who fly the same planes makes "dragging" and "clearing" much easier. When preforming evasives you must be aware of the abilities of the plane and pilot trying to clear you. Never turn into him cutting his angle. Communicate with the guy clearing your six. With the new integrated vox in Aces High it makes it easier to communicate. Think in terms of "setting up" the bandit not just in avoiding his guns. However, fly to live. Dont just stay level catching bullets wondering when help will arrive. Always turn away from your help and keep an eye on his position. Dont make drastic hard manuvers. Just because you're in a niki or spit that doesnt mean the rest of us are. Again staying alive is number 1 concern but all the hard manuvers most likely wont save. Your friends most likely will if you work with him.

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2002, 12:44:52 PM »
Originally posted by wulfie
You want to be wings level, ready to fire, and begin firing as the enemy begins to roll towards your gunsight

These kind of shots never seem to work for me (or at least I don't see hit sprites)  I have a very good connect (rock solid 70-80ms every day since new route) I wonder often if this hurts me, making me a better target than targeter.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2002, 01:44:28 PM »
Vox is great WW, problem is english is not my native language.. and in times of great pucker factor, the guy im clearing his 6 will probably hear a a string of curses in spanish shoved in his direction ;) ;)

Thats why I give 3 6 calls at once heheheh. :D *G*