Author Topic: How many prefer to change countries?  (Read 167 times)

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
How many prefer to change countries?
« on: June 14, 2002, 07:00:10 PM »
I was going to respond to Rude's thread, "How many have not changed countries?", but realized what I really wanted to say was a counter-point and needed its own thread.

I want to start out by saying that I have no problem with anyone who prefers to be loyal to one country.  I also want to point out that in no way did I read Rude's thread as a bash on country hoppers.  But, the choice to switch countries has many of its own benefits that "loyalists" may never realize...

The main benefit to swapping sides is that you get to fly both with many of your former enemies, and against many of your former country-mates.  I consider almost everyone who plays AH (that I've gotten to know) to be a friend.  As a loyalist, you fly against 2/3 of the players in AH and naturally develop a negative view of some players and certainly learn to despise the other two countries.  Swapping sides helps you to get to know them in a different light.  Some folks you get to know, even as enemies, rather quickly.  But with others you can only get to know them when they are your ally.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that it's much easier to appreciate everyone, and much harder to develop bitter feuds when you hop from side to side.

I learned this in Warbirds.  
In Warbirds, my squad and I flew only for Gold.  When the Historical Arena came about, I found myself flying in it more and more.  Since I like to fly both Axis and Allied planes, I switched countries often.  I lost all of my former game patriotism, and learned that I could have more fun than ever flying with and against everyone.

In Aces High, my squad has switched countries many times, partially to fly with our former enemies, and partially to help balance the arena when numbers became too lopsided.
I greatly prefer flying historical match-ups and now fly almost exclusively in the CT, as does most of my squad.  Just like in the Warbirds HA, I/we switch sides to either balance the arena or to fly a different plane type.  Often, my squad members even fly against each other, over 10% of our kills are other Buccaneers!  What we have learned is that it can be just as much fun to fly against your friends as it is to fly with them.

For many reasons (mostly impatience), I often prefer to play the underdog.  Side swapping makes this possible more often, and helps balance the arena.

So, who else likes to swap sides?

eskimo
« Last Edit: June 14, 2002, 07:06:48 PM by eskimo2 »

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2002, 07:11:31 PM »
I dont care about countries. They are all the same to me.

Usually I switch to the country with the lower numbers, simply because I like having more targets. Losing or winning field worries me little, though I enjoyed being on the side getting captured because of the abundance of enemy C-47's.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2002, 07:13:36 PM »
the 63rd FS, 56th FG has been nomadic since its inception in AH. We decided from the begining and thought it was what we wanted to do based on several of the very same reasons you have mentioned.  Its about the people, and diversity.

Do we get ridecule from this? You bet, all the time. Do we care?...sorry:)
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline senna

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
I do
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2002, 07:17:28 PM »
When I first started I flew with the rooks for a very long time. Then one day the numbers went way off and stayed like that. Found it very difficult to get kills so I switched to knights. Whola, fun returned. You'll always see me swapping sides because it is more fun. Example, recently I flew as a bish and we rommped the map again and again like a buncha blood hungry romans. Well that gets boring and I hate killing the same newbies again and again at some field. I swapped to rook and stayed there till the regulars returned. Now Im knight (but havent played for a week or so). I always swap to the low side because my style of flying is that I'm a hunter although I feel these days, the MA doesnt suit hunters very well, its still how I like to fly. My favorite missions are to strap on a tank or two and fly deep into the two other countries fites to bring home a few birds in the trunk. Man do I lo9ve that :D

What I hate is being 1 of a large pack chasing 1 or 2 cons. I never do that anymore.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2002, 07:19:40 PM by senna »

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2002, 07:19:36 PM »
Originally posted by -ammo-
the 63rd FS, 56th FG has been nomadic since its inception in AH. We decided from the begining and thought it was what we wanted to do based on several of the very same reasons you have mentioned.  Its about the people, and diversity.

Do we get ridecule from this? You bet, all the time. Do we care?...sorry:)

I gotta say I enjoy flying with the 56th retards one day, and the next shooting them down ;)

Country hopping rocks. Its not like you are betraying America by switching sides.
I have been called traitor many times, when Ive never really flown for any country in specific.

Traitor. LOL. I'm not even loyal to my squad. They are a bunch of friggin idiots, and quite frankly I enjoy shooting them down more than flying with them.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2002, 08:00:30 PM »
Well, first off, I'd like to make it clear that Rude is a pansy, plain and simple.  I mean, damn, the wuss flies a runstang!  I haven't read the thread you refer to, but no doubt it has pansy-girly undertones to it.

Seriously tho...
While I make my home in Bishland, I enjoy flying for all of the countries now and then.  I find it just as fun to kill my online friends as I do to fly with them.  I couldn't care less if someone wants to stick with one country and never change.  If someone has a problem with me changing countries whenever I feel like it (and no I don't look at numbers when I do and couldn't care less who has the advantage and by how much), they can let me know, and promptly be told to piss off.  But I'll be sure and say it with a smile!  :)

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2002, 08:09:04 PM »
I told you once before....stop pickin on me!!!

:)

Offline aac

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2002, 08:09:36 PM »
I have flown for all three countries and have made a bunch of new friends in all three countries.  Mostly now I either fly with bish  or rooks as what few knights I made friends with either rotated or just never seem to be on line when I am.  I can not understand why anyone gets so upset about the switching of sides in a $15.00 a month game.  It is just a game and there is noone bar none that loves this game more than I.

When I first started my stepson told me I had to fly bish as all the other countries were a***holes, well I have found out that the people in this game are no different than the general population there are good and bad everywhere.  True some give more help than others but by in large all of the countries are pretty much the same.

As long as it is permitted in the game I will continue to change countries and fly with different folks when they come on the text and ask me to come over and help them out because they are getting killed every upping just as I did last week when Rotty called for me to come to the Rooks as they only had 35 players, so I had to quit killing him and go help him of course he had killed me about 4 times to my 2 on him, I guess my point is I have friends in every country and unless I have changed countries with in the time limit I will go help them out whenever I can.

ab8aac

out

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2002, 07:20:09 AM »
Hmmm...
Just 7 of us?

eskimo

Offline Bluedog

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2002, 08:11:02 AM »
I was a Rook when I first came to AH.......almost sounds like I should have started with 'forgive me Father for I have sinned.....', flew with them for a couple of tours, and met some really great folks, then was lured to Knitlandia by the "Great LW Non- Event" ;)....been there ever since.
Allthough I will probably stay a Knight for good now, I have no dramas whatsoever with folks changing sides to enjoy the wider community side of the game, there a more than a few handles I hated the sight of until I flew with them in other arenas/events and found out they were actually good blokes.
I just find it pathetic when people change out of a country that is under serious pressure, like rats leaving a sinking ship, it makes you wonder if they're like that in real life.
But then again, that's just my opinion, it's their $15.

P.S. Although we have a strict 'fly as a team' deal when in the MA, I have to agree, killing squaddies ranks right up there in the "10 Great Ways To Get  A  Laugh Out of AH" list, my wingman, Dead, is allso by far my favourite target, Spit dweeb that he is.  :)
Fighting against your squaddies allso helps to learn how each other think and operate in a fight, making it easier to work together when fighting side by side....train hard, fight easy, as they say.

Blue

Offline Obear1971

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2002, 09:11:37 AM »
the only time i changed countries was when i joined a squad, i shot one of there members dow and he ask me to join up, since then i never change countries inless im in a special evens area were there are only 2 sides and knights isnt one of them

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2002, 09:15:33 AM »
Country hopping is the only way to play in my book.  I have friends in every country that I enjoy flying with and against.  Switching sides enables me to choose my fights and vary who I'm flying with and against.  I love it, and I've been doing it for as long as I can remember dating back to the Air Warrior for Windows days.

-- Todd/Leviathn