Author Topic: The Art Of Jabo  (Read 454 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
The Art Of Jabo
« on: May 24, 2002, 07:40:45 AM »
I've been flying AH for a year now and my success at diving bombing ground targets isn't any better than the day I started.
Give me a Norden sight in a buff, or the dive bomb X-hairs from my old AW days and I can hit a flea on a sheeps ear. Now and again I manage to put bombs on target but I can't seem to find a decisive pattern...other than pure luck.

Some questions:
1. What's the best angle of attack?
I've tried approaching the target inverted, at 10k agl, rolling in verticle and dropping at 5 - 6k...never works.
I've tried a steep (80%) aoa...rarely works.
I've tried diving and leveling just prior to dropping...field acks chew me up.

2. What's the best agl alt to drop from?

3. Which would you consider to be the best jabo gunsight and which hash mark do you line up with?

Any advice from you mud movers would be greatly appreciated!

DamnedMax

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
The Art Of Jabo
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2002, 08:09:37 AM »
In my opinion, as taught to me by Blitz. (Thanks Blitz!)

F4u or other hvy hauler, 8k high, dive in at 45 degree angle, hold slightly high, drop about 2k.

With practise you can hit the button every time.
email me at billj69@btinet.net about setting up a practise time.

Offline dfl8rms

• Copper Member
The Art Of Jabo
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2002, 01:06:04 PM »
Ghosth: thanks for the info and offer.

Anybody have any links to more in depth articles on jabo'ing in AH?

As a person who spends some time in GVs, I can definitely tell you that a lot of the better dive bombers aren't starting at 8k, but they seem to have pin point accuracy. :(

Again, thanks for your post Ghosth.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
The Art Of Jabo
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2002, 01:54:28 PM »
i dive and do NOT use any sight for divebombing.  My accuracy is pretty good... I usually drop 2 at a time on a GV and kill him 9 of 10 tries.

I like to dive fairly steep 45deg plus, and drop pretty low as well.  I drop typically as the target dissappears from my view behind the engine cowling.  I always use the top of the engine cowling to aim.

As far as hard numbers go.. like dive angle.. and altitude... i have no clue... My dive angle differs depending on the situation.  I typically can't be bothered to take the time to setup... and just dive and drop by feel...
If my dive angle is low, i will let the target dissappear and wait just abit before dropping...

Guess mebbe if i filmed some drops...

SKurj

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
The Art Of Jabo
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2002, 09:02:34 PM »
Like skurj said its one of those "feel" situations. Brain actually makes a pretty good super computer, balances speed vs angle vs distance and comes up with a "good enough" guess on where to hold.

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
The Art Of Jabo
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2002, 12:50:50 AM »
I have a JABO section on my Hellcat page that may help give you some ideas on this kind of stuff.  Even though the page is dedicated to the F6F, the JABO stuff is pretty universal.

Check it out here.

Just go to the Hellcat page link.

Hope this helps!

Offline Kubwak

• Copper Member
offline jabo practice....
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2002, 05:27:26 AM »
makes PERFECT!

set protect to 0 and kill yer own hangars, makes great battleship sinking practice too.

check out the webpages on JABOing, i learned from reading hellcat's page and applied it offline, works wonders in the MA

Offline dfl8rms

• Copper Member
The Art Of Jabo
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2002, 05:31:12 PM »
All, thanks for the info.  I guess I just need to spend more time jabo'ing.  My problem is that I usually hit short of the target.

Nice hellcat page, Math.

Offline Kaz

• Silver Member
The Art Of Jabo
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2002, 05:47:41 PM »
it's important to get lined up correctly making sure the plane isn't turning u can do this by holding the sights on the target for a second or 2 if u have to correct too much it's best t abort and try again. another tip is to make sure your plane is wings level when beginning the dive small corrections are ok at first bigger corrections can be used as u get better at it. when u get it right u know it's right coz the plane is stable and goes straight down just have to wait for the release point.

Offline BOOT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.327th.org
The Art Of Jabo
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2002, 07:30:42 PM »
Originally posted by Mathman
I have a JABO section on my Hellcat page that may help give you some ideas on this kind of stuff.  Even though the page is dedicated to the F6F, the JABO stuff is pretty universal.

Check it out here.

Just go to the Hellcat page link.

Hope this helps!

Great Website Mathman...
I have moved my sight to the top of the sight screen...
This has been a great help...

Thanks

BOOT

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
The Art Of Jabo
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2002, 12:08:21 PM »
I have been getting most of my kills vis jaboing...

I take hog and I use the 190 gunsight, which has a peg I use for ordnance. I cant tell you my angle, but between the top of the peg and the cowling, is where I drop, and I drop at about 1.4k icon range. I drop one at a time. 1k eggs seem to have a larger blast range, or maybe I am lucky...either way, I get more kills with the heavier ord than the lighter ones.

I'll take 250's if we have enemy GV near the bse, or there are Pt boats nearby...500s I take if I know there are GVs inbound, but in most cases I'm loading 1000's to take out the VH

For rockets, I fire between the boresight and the peg in the gunsight, and rarely miss.

Offline zipity

• Copper Member
The Art Of Jabo
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2002, 11:37:12 AM »
I found that switching gun sights was the key to a successful jabo.  Originally, I switched from the default.bmp to the werewo.bmp sight.  This sight has a center dot, 2 concentric rings and intersect lines point in the four main directions, North, South, East, and West.  I found on a 45 degree angle of attack, if I kept the point where the bottom/south intersect line passes thru the outside circle, lined up on my target, then dropped between 1.5 to 2.5k the bombs would hit most of the time.  (remember to pull up or turn off after drop so you don't fly into you own blast)

Prior to version 1.09, you could use the intersection between that bottom line and the inner circle to accurately fire rockets.  However in v1.09 HTC changed the rocket's flight characteristics to now that point is to low, you now need to aim between that point and the center dot.

Finally, after using that sight for a while, I got tired of having the circles block my view when all I wanted was the intersection points, so using microsoft's paint program I edited the sight and created the sight shown below.  The bomb point is accurate but I still haven't modified the rocket aim point, so if you use this you still want to aim rocket between that point and the center dot.

Oh yea, practice a bunch off line...it really helps.

Offline stynger

• Zinc Member
The Art Of Jabo
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2002, 01:14:47 AM »
ripsnort has a jabo sight on his web page you can download.  it has helped me greatly    you can find it at http://www.ripsnort60.tripod.com

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
The Art Of Jabo
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2002, 10:31:33 AM »
I cannot get into ripsnorts website, can you send me the gunsight?