Author Topic: RN/USN vs LW ?  (Read 624 times)

Offline K West

• Silver Member
RN/USN vs LW ?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2001, 04:54:00 PM »
Thanks. I'd seen the pix at those links. I'm trying to find pictures of aircraft anf air action specifically from the operation. Like these two. And they're damn hard to find. On the net anyway. I miss Dan/+Tiff from AW. I just may have to browse a book store or two to find anything indepth.  :)

One is a picture of an F6F from another as they prepare for a mission off of Toulon. the other are the two pilots who share the same F6F-5 with thier four Axis kill markings as seen.

Westy

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
RN/USN vs LW ?
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2001, 05:08:00 PM »
Sweet! Thank you very much Westy. I don't suppose they come in a larger size though? If they do, if you could email 'em to me at weissdr1@yahoo.com, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks again, those are some great photos!
-SW

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
RN/USN vs LW ?
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2001, 08:03:00 PM »
While I could careless but in ct you'll have these usn planes launching from norwegian land based airfields and fighting over the baltic.

Aint quite the same thing as the lw defending Norway ports and shipping....... :)

in defending hazed its pour fantasy....

The plane match ups may not have been unheard of and despite the number of sorties the amount of combat between these planesets compared usaaf/lw is small.

With the planeset and terrains we have now this is as good as any.

I dont think its necessary to hype up the current planeset any more then its rl contribution to the airwar over europe.

The ct cms made a choice I dont see a problem with it. Lets go play  :)

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
RN/USN vs LW ?
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2001, 10:44:00 PM »
I dont get it either, this is just one CT setup its not permanent and it did happend in WW2. Its just fine its not the end of the world, in fact its a nice break from the usual.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
RN/USN vs LW ?
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2001, 11:23:00 PM »
I enjoyed the CT very much.  Flying the A8 against the spitV and the hellkitty was fun!

Also......the Royal Navy was first to use the F4 on a carrier.  Seems the USN thought at first the F4 was unfit for carrier duty.  The Brits showed us otherwise <G>
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Otter

• Copper Member
RN/USN vs LW ?
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2001, 01:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by Hajo:
I enjoyed the CT very much.  Flying the A8 against the spitV and the hellkitty was fun!

Also......the Royal Navy was first to use the F4 on a carrier.  Seems the USN thought at first the F4 was unfit for carrier duty.  The Brits showed us otherwise <G>

Would you mind pointing me to some documentation on this? The first 80 production models of the F4F-3 were destined for France and wound up in the FAA as did the next batch that was going to go to Greece getting their first kill Dec. 1940.

The initial US Wildcats that met the enemy at Pearl Harbor and Midway were land based but they were also in carrier squadrons as the F4F-3 transitioned to the F4F-4 with the folding wings.

The first carrier based engagement came Feb 20th 1942 when Butch O'Hare from the CV Lexington shot down 5 betties at Rabul.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
RN/USN vs LW ?
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2001, 05:17:00 AM »
He means "F4"U Corsair, not "F4"F Wildcat.

The Royal navy pilots of Corsair Mk.Is were the first bunch of people who developed carrier landing methods for F4U series.

Offline K West

• Silver Member
RN/USN vs LW ?
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2001, 08:29:00 AM »
Will try and find better and large pics. Those are what I have  :(

"these usn planes launching from norwegian land based airfields"

If that is the setup then it shouldn't be, imo. I've not been in the CT lately and CV based planes should be only CV based.

Westy

Offline milnko

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cameltoe.org
RN/USN vs LW ?
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2001, 11:07:00 AM »
Was banging around the CT last night with HB, seems like a fair matchup with the planeset in there now. I was banging away at his G6 with a 51B for a bit and at low alt (where most fur takes place) they seem evenly matched.

Reading about F6F's flying against LW Iron brings to mind a plane I'd like to see added to AH (if they model the Bf 109E) and that is the 109T the carrier version of the "E" model.

Now before ya'll quote numbers and stats, I know it never saw the Graf Zepplin's flightdeck.

Hell!   The Graf Zepplin never saw the open seas, but the 109T's slated for the 'GZ' did end up going to squadrons I believe it was in Finland (or somewhere up there anyway  :))

Now the 109T was not produced in large numbers, but then neither was the F4U-C, and IMO it'd be kinda cool to have a CV based 109 (which btw, no other game has ever modeled)

The Bf 109T's performance would prolly be less than the Bf 109E's considering the added weight of beefed up gear and tailhook, so overall should not un-balance the arena greatly <---- This last paragraph is a joke, (for those humor impaired)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
RN/USN vs LW ?
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2001, 05:15:00 PM »
There was at least one fight involving RN F6Fs and 109s over Norway. IIRC it was during one of the multi carrier attacks on the Tirpitz and the F6Fs from HMS Emperor got 2 109s without loss.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
RN/USN vs LW ?
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2001, 07:41:00 PM »
mm, F6F's engaging 190s and 109s defending der Fatherland must have been a bit less common that a 190F8 with 2*250kg + 1*500kg eggs.

:D

Looking good: soon LW will have a jabo ride that rivals some of the allied ones  :)