Author Topic: How accurate are films?  (Read 477 times)

Offline Ahbleza

• Zinc Member
How accurate are films?
« on: June 22, 2002, 10:41:39 AM »
I have a dialup connection, and I experience many strange in game occurences which generally are a result of the conection.

Reviewing films, from enemy pilot perspective, I have noticed being killed at very odd angles. For instance, an La7 kills me with a shot when he is at the bottom of a tight roll,nose down, and I am at the top of the roll, the bullets would have to travel upwards at an almost right angle from the guns to hit me.

I have filmed several of these occurences, always attributing them to connection oddities. But at times I wonder if guys can make shots like this because of an aiming program or aid. Is this type of situation due to the filming program being imprecise?

Ute

Offline Vaportrl

• Zinc Member
How accurate are films?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2002, 03:54:16 PM »
I know enough about computers to get myself and alot of other people in trouble, but I think you are experiencing a very common glitch because of your dial-up conn.  I have only played AH with a cable connection, primarily in a bombers roll, and during those engagements I would be killed wondering how in the world did they shoot me from that angle.  With some follow up I learned the majority of these episodes resulted from the enemy having a dial-up conn. I would "ASSUME" <--- LMAO and we all know where that gets us.  I would assume the film viewer would record the event as seen from you net status stand point.  I don't know if this helps you at all but I wanted to share my experiences and shed what light I could on the situation.

Vaportrl

:cool:

Offline snafu

• Silver Member
      • http://www.btinternet.com/~snaffers
How accurate are films?
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2002, 04:03:15 PM »
Hi Ahbleza,
 Reviewing films from an enemy perspective is pointless from a gunnery point of view. What you are seeing is the enemy view as seen from your front end. If you get in a turnfight and are being chased by a con their view is actually in front of what you are seeing (Because of the time taken for the packets to update each others PC - Your view is after his FE has been through the HT server and sent to your PC, by which time his plane has moved). The way AH works (AFAIK) is if you get a con in your sights and score a kill it is awarded even if your opponent thinks you do not have "the shot", that is why you can "collide" on your FE and die but the other pilot might evade and fly on unscathed. It's all down to "lag".

Try to get you and a friend to both film a fight and watch both films and you will see what I mean.

TTFN
snafu

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
How accurate are films?
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2002, 04:24:11 PM »
Burn the dial-up users!!!

Offline Ahbleza

• Zinc Member
How accurate are films?
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2002, 02:20:05 PM »
Thanks for the response gents!

The reason I reviewed  the films mentioned in my initial post was a feeling of "How could he make that shot?". The films actually confirmed what I perceived on my FE.

Are the films accurate in portraying my FE, but in reality its my FE that is inaccurate?

Ute.