Author Topic: What a real CV should be like  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
What a real CV should be like
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2002, 04:07:27 PM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
During their sea trials, they turn full right rudder and full left rudder at flank speed.  Insane to watch, but amazing!

It's apparently the most stressful test on the frame and drivetrain of the ship.  I don't imagine it does much good for the blood pressure of the crew either.

The REAL engineering test is the several days of full astern they do.  Astern stresses the turbines and bearings more since they're actually designed to go forwards.

The hard turns prove the rams more than anything, and demontrates all the equipment was properly welded to the deck.  We got in a storm off Kamchatka once and the weight machine proved to be improperly welded down.
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&

Offline superpug1

• Probation
  • Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2002, 05:46:36 PM »
A longer carrier would permit me to  carry more bombs and fuel in my 17, B-17 that is. If you can get a 17 off a carrier you have single handedly added a huge strike element to your fleet. Live what I do.:D :p

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2002, 04:57:39 AM »
yeah caj, i've taken off, bombed my target, landed and rearmed, and bombed it again:D

Offline LtHans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2002, 05:22:07 AM »
arent the elevators on essex cvs located in the center of the deck and not the sides?

The carrier has three elevators, two on the centerline, and one near the edge opposite the tower.

I would have thought that was obvious by the ship's shape?