Author Topic: Blue screen  (Read 1033 times)

Offline FreeFlight

• Zinc Member
Blue screen
« on: June 22, 2002, 10:44:25 PM »
every time i load AH i get that blue screen windows error, and have to restart my computer everytime i get it.. under FAQ it says that i need to download and install directx8.0a.. well i have downloaded and installed like 3 different versions of directx and still none of them work, i have reinstalled AH a million times and i still get the same dumb error, i have a PNY Geforce 2, so i dont think it can be a problem with the video card, it was just recently working, i dont know what is wrong, plz help

thx

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Blue screen
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2002, 05:02:47 AM »
windows XP operating system , and a small amount of ram such as 128mb's is one of the  causes of the blue screen . along with alot of programs running in your taskbar . start with that....
 and if you post your pc specs it will help ...
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline FreeFlight

• Zinc Member
Blue screen
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2002, 05:23:07 AM »
Packard Bell.. 333mhz, AMD K6, 128 mb of ram, WIN 98, PNY Geforce 2, Crystal PnP Audio System CODEC, i dont know where the problem occured at, it was working fine just a couple of weeks ago
« Last Edit: June 23, 2002, 05:25:55 AM by FreeFlight »

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Blue screen
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2002, 09:34:28 AM »
ouch... k6 333 maybe below minimum spec.. and its surely below minimum spec for that video card...

it was time for an upgrade two years ago...

SKurj

Offline FreeFlight

• Zinc Member
Blue screen
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2002, 01:42:46 PM »
i dont think an upgrade is necessary if AH software once was compatible with this computer, i mean i do admit, my computer is a little out of date, but i dont have the money for an upgrade, so i have to live with what i have plus im going to be subscribing to this game in a little while, probably after i get this problem solved. I dont really want to spend what 300 dollars to upgrade my computer so i can play aces high there just has to be another way to fix it.. i downloaded a few sound card drivers, got rid of the blue screen of death.. but now, about 5 seconds after AH loads the screen turns black and freezes with the hourglass cursor in the middle of the screen
« Last Edit: June 23, 2002, 01:53:54 PM by FreeFlight »

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Blue screen
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2002, 02:16:01 PM »
well for now... download latest drivers for all your hardware including the motherboard
directx 8.1 as well

run dxdiag and see if it reports any problems, u can post dxdiag.txt here once u have managed to save it as well

SKurj

Offline FreeFlight

• Zinc Member
Blue screen
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2002, 02:32:26 PM »
Everything in DxDiag seems to be running smoothly, and how would i find out the correct drivers to download for my motherboard?

and what do you mean by post dxdiag.txt here? post the test results?

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
Blue screen
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2002, 04:44:24 PM »
now if i read this correctly You said that the game was working fine at one point and then the BS of death started .(BS=Blue screen).
I had this happen last year . and I found a virous on my PC that was eating up my resources. but this happened fairly quick one day it was BS of death ,, and the next day it was BB to DT (boot back to desktop). do a virous scan and check your systems resources .this is just one idea to look at .

now your GF 2 card should have 32- 64 mb of ram so your adding that to the 128mb when the game is opening . (ive opened this game with a GF 2 w/ 64mb and 64 mbs ram in my pc befor . ) so i know it can be done with that low of a combination .

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=drivers       this is the page for the latest drivers for your geforce card . now after installing the drivers  (I just installed detonator XP version 29.42 )reinstall Direct X 8.1 then  you need to configure the video setting in aces high as you open the game also . (perhaps set it at "16bit" and try that )

333mhz is on the slow side  for a cpu these days . (but it should run the game ) Ive ran this game on an old OCed to hell 486 pent befor . you could look into a faster cpu and perhaps add 128mb  more in ram.. ( a duron 800-950 cpu are only 40-55 bucks at your local hole in the wall pc store ) this will make your game play better .

well this is just a few more idea's for you to look at .
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent

Offline FreeFlight

• Zinc Member
Blue screen
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2002, 09:48:47 PM »
Well.. Ive removed a couple of trojans and viruses, (thanks for that), ive downloaded Detonator XP Driver for my Geforce, and reinstalled my sound card... none of which worked for the game.. still get bsod

How would I be able to configure the video settings in Aces High as I open the game, there is nothing of which that i can click on to configure the settings.. when i click on aces high to open the program.. the big white screen pops up with the blue bar at the top saying.. Aces High.. then 5 seconds later the blue screen comes up, very very frustrating

ive noticed when i put in a cd.. my computer freezes.. the drive itself is fine.. could it be a sound card problem? I've reinstalled my drivers but the outcome was pointless and a waste of time, got anymore tips or suggestions?

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
Blue screen
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2002, 02:19:55 AM »
ponder ponder . ... next to doing a reformat/ fdisc of your pc to straighten it out ... to run smooth again . .. (which would mean that you have to start from scratch and reload everything again. )
ive had to do this a few time because of virous's /bugs or an all together Idiot at the keyboard error. ..

. i would say lets start here  with    control panel/ display ...  a display properties box should come up ...... go to settings and besure it says your monitor and nvida Geforce 2 mx400  /2 mx 200  . or what ever your video card is and besure u start at 16 bit colour  and a screen area of 800x600 pixels  to start with  .  Apply settings . then try the game again . (the 16 bit setting will optimize the amount of ram your running )the BS of death is mostly caused by not enough ram/ system resources to open a program/ game with .  
    by going to start/run and typing in  dxdiag this should tell you what version of DX your running and if its working correctly .

because of your cdrom freezing ..
. I'm thinking though if you had a virous that means alot of other things may still be messed up ... and a reformate may be the only solution.  virous clean up programs very rarely clean out everything (they like to hide deep in a section of ur pc stealing a part of your resources). and if it did you still have to reinstall the game at least ... sorry man ...

fdisc's/reformating is a pain in the arse it takes me 4 -6 hours everytime i do it . its not fun but its part of getting a pc to run the best . our next step will be the mad bombers pc class :D
Roscoroo ,

Offline FreeFlight

• Zinc Member
Blue screen
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2002, 02:15:09 PM »
My CD to reformat has been acting up lately, is there another way to reformat without the CD?

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
Blue screen
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2002, 03:14:42 PM »
yes an Fdisc its done in your dos start up screen . i suggest you read the win98 book on this . or do a print out . study fdisc and reformating your hard drive... theres tons of stuff in a Goggle search for this .Or start up your pc with its start up disc and go to help . (this is a dos program so your mouse doesnt work) and read up on this
 how easy/fast this is to do depends on what type of pc u have. a store bought name brand will have a system disc that will restore it on its own .  

a custom built pc will have a motherboard bios/drivers disc that will/may have to be installed manually .(some are easy, some are a pain )
ussually this doesnt effect your pc's bios settings but it will remove the drivers that are stored on your HD .
basically what your are doing is scrubing your hard drive clean . reformating it . and then starting with a new pc again . (all virous traces end up removed by doing this )

P.s. this is good re/programing to learn ive acquired many used hard drives and several PC's that were messed up by a bug and salvaged them .

ill look around later and see if i can find a good site.
Roscoroo ,

Offline FreeFlight

• Zinc Member
Blue screen
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2002, 03:25:56 PM »
oh i know how to reformat, I've reformatted my Harddrive a million times to correct a million different problems. But theres a problem in my restoration disc that is preventing me from formatting my hd.

I did do a simple little control panel "EZ Recovery" but all that did was replace the missing programs from when i bought this computer, uninstalled all my hardware devices (geforce, dsl connector, printer, scanner, moniter, etc..) so i had to reinstall everything, there seemed to be a problem with the directx 8 on the geforce CD so I download directx8.1, still.. bsod

but I remember of something that may be causing the bsod, when I FIRST installed the Aces high software and loaded it.. it asked me to choose one

640x480
800x600
1024x768
1280x1024

I chose the 1280x1024, because thats what it was previously working at, but after that is when the bsod screen came up.. is there a way to change it back to 800x600, cause i dont think my vid card can support running Aces high on a 1280x1024 res. i unistalled all my current Aces high files on the system and redownloaded the Aces high software, but that option never came up, is there a way to get that option to pop up again before aces high loads the actual game
« Last Edit: June 24, 2002, 03:29:28 PM by FreeFlight »

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
Blue screen
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2002, 03:43:40 PM »
im shure there is i'll have to find it . its programed into one of the settings /htc files somewhere . ...
 and after a fresh install of AH if the screen for video settings doesnt come up or the kneeboard that has the video button ... perhaps your monitor settings are to high to start with . check that .

and cool im glad u know how to reformat :D  i hate trying to explain it    ...LOL
Roscoroo ,

Offline FreeFlight

• Zinc Member
Blue screen
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2002, 08:42:00 PM »
lol.. yeah i know how that goes

but uhh where do I find my monitor properties? if its right click on desktop and go to properties, ive tried every setting there, its on 16-bit as of right now, I'll just leave it at that