Author Topic: Ahhh Some blood got to my brain  (Read 259 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Ahhh Some blood got to my brain
« on: July 09, 2000, 04:37:00 PM »
finally and I had an idea.

HTC guys... anyway to link the ambient light level to the Icon ranges? IE, if a plane is in the dark or dimly lit areas lower the Icon range. This would be cool for night flying, and even for planes flying in valleys etc during sunsets etc.

Someone else in the MA also pointed out exhaust flares would be cool.

-vlkn- in

Yosus

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2000, 08:30:00 PM »
Post your bloodtype Vulcan old mate ... and I'll round up some donors ... hell, I'll even contribute myself, if we're compatible,...that is a bloody good idea!

The most annoying thing about the icons is that it negates any sneak attacks ... it seems worse at night. I know this is a dead horse ... but I'm compulsive  

Cheers
Yosus

------------------
“One day, flight simulation will be so realistic, that you’ll really need to wear brown corduroy … “

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2000, 04:10:00 AM »
Or how about this totally unfeasible (infeasible?) idea?

Make icons only appear after a certain time in a view, tied to ranges.  How would it work?

OK.. there's a con barrelling in on your 6 at 6000yds.  You check your 6 view but an icon at that range will not appear until you have spent, say, 6 seconds in that view.  Since you only check your 6 view for 3 seconds this time, no icons appear.

He continues to close, and he's now at 3000 yds.  You check 6 again, but this time only for a quick look-see of 1 second.  But a con at 3000yds only has the icon appear after 3 seconds, so you miss him again.

He continues to close, and drops into your low 6.  When he reaches 1000yds you check 6 again, for one second.  But he's below your tail and you don't see him at all.  A pity really, because a con at 1000yds shows up after 1 second in any view.

Cons within, say 500 yds show up immediately etc.

Now, if this could be done, it would simulate 'scanning' a region of sky in order to locate a con.

------------------
C.O. Phoenix Squadron
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
'feel the heat .......'

Yosus

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2000, 06:32:00 AM »
This time of the year, blood must typically rise to the brain in Oceania  .
Another good idea Jekyll, and probably my favourite so far!

Let the brainstorming begin.

It's been hashed and rehashed but I'd like to add that a system which doesn't make it so easy to identify the enemy, would favour a tactical aproach which puts communication with fellow countrymen at a premium.

IMO there is to much potential in AH to make it an arena which favours only those who need a 'quick combat' fix. That fix can be satisfied in the dueling arena, or ....
keep the Main Arena as it is, and make a separate arena, where one may practice the art of advanced tactical acuity  .

It would be interesting to see which of the two approaches to arena design prove the most popular.

Cheers
Yosus

------------------
“One day, flight simulation will be so realistic, that you’ll really need to wear brown corduroy … “

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2000, 07:26:00 AM »
Great Ideas guys !!

Maybe some Moskito puked when it connected and gave u a special "drop"  

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2000, 09:55:00 AM »
Have you guys tried fighting at night yet? What I found was that, since dots don't appear at all, the icon ranges were not so important, and it was much easier to get a low bounce on enemies.

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2000, 01:03:00 PM »

Originally posted by Jekyll:
Or how about this totally unfeasible (infeasible?) idea?

Make icons only appear after a certain time in a view, tied to ranges.  How would it work?

OK.. there's a con barrelling in on your 6 at 6000yds.  You check your 6 view but an icon at that range will not appear until you have spent, say, 6 seconds in that view.  Since you only check your 6 view for 3 seconds this time, no icons appear.

He continues to close, and he's now at 3000 yds.  You check 6 again, but this time only for a quick look-see of 1 second.  But a con at 3000yds only has the icon appear after 3 seconds, so you miss him again.

He continues to close, and drops into your low 6.  When he reaches 1000yds you check 6 again, for one second.  But he's below your tail and you don't see him at all.  A pity really, because a con at 1000yds shows up after 1 second in any view.

Cons within, say 500 yds show up immediately etc.

Now, if this could be done, it would simulate 'scanning' a region of sky in order to locate a con.

Hmmm now this I like  

- Jig