Author Topic: New twist to base capture alternative.  (Read 208 times)

Hammerhead

New twist to base capture alternative.
« on: September 21, 2001, 09:20:00 AM »
I read all that you guyz say and its quite impressive but also very complex.
I think a simpler way to put up a fluidic front would be to create outposts. Small encampments between the fields with perhaps 1 or 2 guns. The extent of captured encampments is the frontline for a fluidic front.
NOW THE TWIST:-
The encampment guns attack ground vehicles better than aircraft. The encampments simulate positions held by friendly and nme positions and thus are better at ground warfare and have limited anti-aircraft equipment. Each encampment has a tower, a few guns and perhaps a spawn point only for vehicles can be added.
Once the encampment is destroyed it can be captured by driving upto it in a vehicle and staying there untill it regenartes. This can simulate troops moving in and rebuilding defenses.
If all of an airfield's surrounding encampments are captured by a single nme the airfield's supply line is cut off and a warning message generates warning the airfield of its predicament. If after a particular amount of time none of the encampments are recaptured then the airbase is strangled of its resources and all ack and fighter and vehicle resources are disabled. Then the nme shuttles in troops and takes over the base conventionally.
The main advantage of this method is that it increases the use of ground vehicles, which I think are barely used if not at all.
The encampments can be along roads (which I believe will exist in 1.08) leading to their respective airfields.
Perhaps the introduction of a few faster tanks like the American M24 Chaufee would also increase the useage of ground vehicles.

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: Hammerhead ]

Offline Exile

• Gold Member
      • http://www.simladder.com/
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2001, 12:53:00 PM »
nice idea ... I like it.

Offline majic

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2001, 02:53:00 PM »
Good idea.  One question: why not have troops capture encampments as well?

Offline Holder

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.constable.ca
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2001, 04:45:00 PM »
Hmmm, interesting and thought provoking. With roads perhaps the vehicles would be capable of crossing a sector in less than 30 minutes and it would increase vehicle play. Driving a Panzer for 30 minutes and not getting anywhere is pretty boring. Of course, a lot of fighter pilots would then complain that we were ruining their fun at furballing (see message on Pig Pile by LePaul). And, why can't the pilots have a gun when they land in a chute? Which leads to - why can't 10 guys go up in a C47 and parachute into a base, shooting and heading for the map room? We can move around now, just no weapons and we can't get 10 people into a plane. Then what do we have? WWIIOL?  :D

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2001, 07:11:00 AM »
Has potential IMO.

A couple of "shore batterys" for long range snipeing of incomeing ground vehicles. A couple of mannable 37mm ack. (whick are easily killed from the air) A vehicle spawn point for defenders. Even if you had to capture via M3/c-47 I think it would work.

As a field loses more & more of it's outposts
ack/fuel/ord/hangers regenerate slower.

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2001, 07:20:00 AM »
Sounds very good.

What would be great too, to increase veichle use is to make em more realistic, better modelling for ground veihcles, armor and dammage etc. Compared to WW2OL's ground war with tanks AH feels very arcadish, then of course, WW2OL's Flight modell compared to AH feels VERY arcadish, would be nice with AH FM and WW2OL GVM  :)
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2001, 07:22:00 AM »
Ops, sort of changed subject there a little, Hammerheads idea sounds great though  :)
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Hammerhead

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2001, 08:28:00 AM »
Majic, I said drive in because I thought a lot of people would not like to do a troop drop about ten times to get a field.     :D
But if thats the way u like it......
However, I dont think to capture the encampments we need to drop ten guys ( I thought thats for a field) I think 5 would do it (remember encampments are just towers with dead acks ).
Would like to capture two encampments in a single C47 run     :D     :D

And no I have not shot u down YET  :D

[ 09-22-2001: Message edited by: Hammerhead ]

[ 09-22-2001: Message edited by: Hammerhead ]

Hammerhead

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2001, 08:53:00 AM »
Holder, I like your idea about ten pilots dropping in from the C47.
Maybe we can then also use the C47 and the M3 for Search And Rescue (SAR) missions, LOL,  :D