Author Topic: US allows drug tests on students.  (Read 1885 times)

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
US allows drug tests on students.
« on: June 28, 2002, 03:58:29 PM »
WASHINGTON - The U.S. Supreme Court has approved random drug tests for many public high school students.

It ruled that schools' interest in ridding their campuses of drugs outweighs an individual's right to privacy.

The decision will allow the broadest drug testing the court has yet permitted of young people whom authorities have no particular reason to suspect of using drugs.

Thanks US, you guys make me fall in love with my country every day.

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
Chit!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2002, 04:02:27 PM »
I wish this had been around when I was in school!

I would have gladly tested anything they provided :D

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
Re: US allows drug tests on students.
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2002, 04:04:29 PM »
Originally posted by Thrawn

Thanks US, you guys make me fall in love with my country every day.

Thanks to new EPA relaxed regulations we're working on some more acid rain for you guys. Enjoy

:rolleyes:

-Sikboy
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2002, 04:15:35 PM »
Thrawn

yes its horrible isn't it :rolleyes:

how dare they test for illegal drugs while student is on school grounds after school for non manditory activity covered under the schools insurance umbrella.

dam those Nazis!
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2002, 04:21:44 PM »
have any of you heard of "probable cause"???

don't matter what the SC says , random testing with out probable cause is illegal

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2002, 04:37:53 PM »
Hmmm,...probable cause.  Well,...I recall my son coming home from school one day telling me he got asked to try some drugs from no less than 22 kids during the school day (heroin, ectasy, cocaine and some I never heard of).

He was the new kid on the block, so he guessed they were trying to make him welcome.

I would call that probable cause.  Maybe other schools are different.  For instance, we know the heroin drop is located at a Texaco gas station about 2 blocks from the school.  Nothing is done about it though.  Dealers hang around there looking for kids to peddle thier drugs or to sell to.
We also know the coaches push this "drug free" steroid on the atheletes at school.  They tell them, it is perfectly legal as it is not recognized by the FDA as a drug.

I don't really have a problem with it.  I wish the government had not done it and it was just done voluntarily by the schools.  But they prefer to hide the problem than to bring it out in public....at least in this school district.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2002, 05:22:21 PM »
The ruling wasn't that broad.

School districts can force the nation's 23 million middle and high school students to take drug tests before they join the band, choir, chess club or any other extracurricular activities where they compete with other schools, the U.S. Supreme Court said Thursday.

I wonder what the schools will say when (if?) kids with an acitvist mindset and knowledge of Constitutional rights tell them to go shreck themselves.
sand

Offline Elfenwolf

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2002, 05:31:45 PM »
Sandman, the penalty for ANY American refusing a random drug test should be six months in jail. What are you trying to hide???

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2002, 05:38:40 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman_SBM
The ruling wasn't that broad.

I wonder what the schools will say when (if?) kids with an acitvist mindset and knowledge of Constitutional rights tell them to go shreck themselves.

They'll point to this ruling and stick a needle in them.  :( Skuzzy,  you should go take video of the heroin dealers and give it to the cop and give a copy to the media.  That might help solving that problem, but the dealers would probably just change locations after they get out of jail the next day....

Bit by bit our nation is dying seems to be speeding up to me.  Liberty or death my ass......

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2002, 05:38:54 PM »
Got nothing to hide... but then again, I'm already subject to random urinalysis.

So... I'm a hypocrite that doesn't have the courage to stand by my convictions.

That... or I've martyred my convictions for the sake of my family.

...to a point I guess. I did turn down a job that had random polygraph testing as a requirement for employment.
sand

Offline Elfenwolf

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2002, 05:40:51 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Hmmm,...probable cause.  Well,...I recall my son coming home from school one day telling me he got asked to try some drugs from no less than 22 kids during the school day (heroin, ectasy, cocaine and some I never heard of).

He was the new kid on the block, so he guessed they were trying to make him welcome.

I would call that probable cause.  Maybe other schools are different.  For instance, we know the heroin drop is located at a Texaco gas station about 2 blocks from the school.  Nothing is done about it though.  Dealers hang around there looking for kids to peddle thier drugs or to sell to.
We also know the coaches push this "drug free" steroid on the atheletes at school.  They tell them, it is perfectly legal as it is not recognized by the FDA as a drug.

I don't really have a problem with it.  I wish the government had not done it and it was just done voluntarily by the schools.  But they prefer to hide the problem than to bring it out in public....at least in this school district.

Skuzzy, that's exactly what the Supreme Court said. The drug abuse in public schools is rampant enough to suspend the rights of students. My objection to this ruling is that if we start applying "extenuating circumstances" as a reasonable excuse to suspend our constitutional rights then what's the point of having a Constitution??

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2002, 05:46:14 PM »
The constitution does not apply inside public schools.   That's not an opinion, that's a sad fact.  

"Probable cause" hasn't been seen in public schools for a long time; "reasonable cause" is all they require.  

J_A_B

Offline Elfenwolf

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2002, 05:50:45 PM »
Originally posted by J_A_B
The constitution does not apply inside public schools.   That's not an opinion, that's a sad fact.  

"reasonable cause" is all they require.  

J_A_B

Not with THIS ruling, JAB. It's called "Random" drug testing.

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2002, 06:06:23 PM »
So what if you refuse to pee into the cup?..Expelled?...Man I wish they had tried this one when I was in school....Most of my teachers woulda flunked!
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2002, 06:07:37 PM »
"Reasonable cause" boiled down to they could do whatever they wanted anyway.  

This ruling doesn't really change anything, sad as that fact is.    How are random drug tests for athletes any different than having the local police bring in drug-sniffing dogs on random occasions?   How is it different than randomly searching people's possessions and clothing?

I totally agree that public schols have WAY too much power.  This recent ruling isn't changing anything.   The worst thing of all is "random" never really means "random" to corrupt d#ckhead backstabbing lying untrustworthy stuck-up power-tripping stunninghunk school admins, it means "we can badger and intimidate those we don't like and claim its all random".  

J_A_B