Author Topic: my map project  (Read 282 times)

Offline DOODY

• Copper Member
      • http://www.most-wanted.org
my map project
« on: July 10, 2002, 03:35:31 PM »
I am also working on a 512X512 map. I think the new size is a great improvement. Here's what I've done so far.

THe AK map was a great example of what to, and what not to do.  While it does reduce high concentrations of furballs by inducing multiple target strikes at different locations, there by spreading the fights out, it also encourages oversized furballs by spreading fights too thin. The result is people only seeing empty targets to ambush, or massive furballs to bounce.
 I've decided to use the terrain more efficiently for this map.

The small airfields will spawn all planes, but the front line fields will only spawn GV's towards the sea and canals. This will encourage a lot of activity over the water where the poly count is lowest.
 Once a beachhead has been taken, it will be harder to keep because second line fields will have good access to them. Once the second line of defense is breached, GV's can spawn inland. THis is done defending a target should be slightly easier than attacking it, as you already have local resources.
The canyons in the AK map are wonderfull, but there arent enough gradient outs. once your in, your in.  I made mine interlaced with canyons of different depths overlapping. This will allow  directional changes w/o entering dar ( sometimes).  Some canyons lead round'about to other fields and ground targets, others lead you up into visible airspace. This will allow a practical need for recon and organization in general. I  plan to have topographical maps avail online.

Ports and shore side fields  will be resupplied via barges. ( I dont know why noone else does this)

Large fields will function as primary zone controls. ( If i ever get the new editor)

shore side fields will be uniquely dynamic. Shore batteries may fully protect bay entry areas, but will not be able to assault task groups moving through the canals. TG's will have to fire over mtn sides blindly, or enter the bay area for a clear shot.

All country zones will not share common layouts. ( Although they will be similiar).  THe terrain will play a critical role in the war. But where traditionally the terrain used barriers and distance as a traffic detourant, I plan to use stratigic importance to direct the fighting into canyon areas, and over the sea.

The max alt is 7k in the mtns, I've also put most of the fields in locations that minimize the scenery clutter. Most fields and cities are not visible at the same time, so there should be less FR problems

Since this is my first map, I'd like some feedback from you vets.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
my map project
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2002, 04:31:58 PM »
Doody try drawing your zone lines, put sector lines in for scale referance.

As far as you respuly questions, don't try change the resuply system. But you can use trains bardges or convoys as you wish.