Author Topic: We need detonation delay  (Read 94 times)

Offline Upchuck

• Zinc Member
We need detonation delay
« on: July 04, 2002, 12:38:51 PM »
Now, you probably don't know me, cuz I only play HTH and offline, and only occasionally even then as my time isn't free very often, and even when it's free it's not usually predictable.  So if you think this is a stupid idea, that's OK, I just thought it would be nice.

I'd like to have the option of setting a 'detonation delay' with bombs.  I know they were able to do this in WWII, at least with US bombs.  They could set delays of at least 10-15 seconds in the 8th AF, I've read of this in several accounts.  I know many of the bombs dropped in the Ploesti raids had delays of several minutes, if not longer.

Why would you want this?  I'd want it particularly in the A-20G, primarily because it's meant to be used for low level attacks, glide bombing and so on, but it could be done with any bomb in any plane, for instance a Typhoon dropping bombs on a suspected ammo dump etc.  The problem is that dropping bombs at low level, especially glide bombing, requires getting up close and personal with the target, if you want to maximize accuracy.  However, with instant detonation bombs this usually means you are right over the target and bomb when they both blow up together, taking you with them.  If you could set a detonation delay of even 5 seconds the problem would be solved; you drop the bomb (right on target of course), the fuse is triggered and however many seconds later the bomb detonates, but by this time you are a safe distance away.  

Ideally you would have to select the delay you want when selecting your load out in the hangar as these detonation delays required the work of a trained armorer on the ground setting the fuse before the bombs were loaded.\

Now flame away!

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
We need detonation delay
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2002, 01:30:56 PM »
I brought up this issue in the 'gameplay feedback/issues' forum some time ago you can read it here

My own personal preference is the Mosquito, one of the best low level bombers ever created and would love to have a fuse delay. I have read many accounts of Mosquito's flying at tree top level and dropping on targets.

Offline aac

• Copper Member
We need detonation delay
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2002, 02:09:02 PM »
With "killshooter" on you would still end upp dying as someone else dove into the bomb blast this happens right now all of the time and would be worse if you had a delay fuse in place.

Offline Taiaha

• Copper Member
We need detonation delay
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2002, 02:10:19 PM »
It's a great idea, the problem with it at the moment, as I understand, is modelling realistic bomb behavior after it hits the ground.  Contact explosion is easy.  But in those Mosquito raids, for example, one thing that they used to good effect is that from low level bombs don't just stop dead, they skip (trying to stop em dead was why the Luftwaffe often employed Stabo bombs, standard ordnance with basically a big spike in the nose).

But now they are modelling dispersion, etc., this kind of thing may not be far away.