Author Topic: This is how I do my Bombing runs for what it's worth  (Read 350 times)

Offline DW58

• Zinc Member
This is how I do my Bombing runs for what it's worth
« on: July 04, 2002, 03:38:46 PM »
This is my procedure for bombing runs, which I have had pretty good success with so far. You must begin this at least 25 miles from the target to ensure your speed and altitude is stable before you release your payload. I normally use a B-17 formation with a load out of 1/2 tank of fuel and 6-1000# bombs. Salvo set to 1 in a group of three bombers. I try to maintain an altitude of 15,000 ft. above the target. OK here goes.

1.Once you are level at your intended altitude and approximately 25 miles from your target, reduce your manifold pressure to approximately 30 lbs. and open your bomb doors. You wont be able to see your target at this point so use your map to line up the best you can on the target. You will have plenty off time later to fine tune your approach. The main thing you want to do at this stage is get your altitude and speed stablized.

2. As you get closer to your target(about 15miles out) hit your "F1" key and get to the internal view. Then hit the "5" key to go into the chin gun, once your there hit "F3" to put you into the external view again while remaining in the chin gun. Now you can adjust your course using your rudder only. This will prevent you from accidently using any roll or pitch which will surely throw off your air speed and altitude. You will also need to use this method for any subsequent passes made on your target to maintain your speed and altitude. You will notice as you turn your rudder and then release it that your plane will still be on auto pilot. Thats the key to maintaining your altitude and speed at a constant level.

3. You should be getting closer to your target at this point and your speed should be stablized. Now it's time to calibrate. Hit your "F1" key to go back to internal, then hit the "1" key to get out of your chin gun. take a moment to check that your speed is stable. It should read 150 or very close to that. Now go into your bomb site by hitting "F6". Bring up your map and if you have the default keys set for calibration, hit the "U" key to enter calibration. Click on the target thats shown on your map to set it's altitude then put away your clipboard. Now this is the critical part, Hit the "Z" key to enter your zoom mode, and hit the "]" key to zoom all the way in. Now, gently pull back on your stick until the ground and the crosshairs stop moving or begin to move backwards a bit. Adjust your tension on the stick until it appears that the ground has stopped moving and you are gaining a bit of altitude(this takes a ton of practice to get it just right, at least it did for me). Now, while maintaining the joystick position I just mentioned, hit your mark key which for me was "Y" (default) and hold it for about a count of 5, release the mark key and then you can release the joystick. Hit the "U" key again to get out of calibration mode and if you've done it correctly the text in the upper left should turn green. This means that your calibration is done and set correctly.

4. You should be about 5 miles from your target now and be able to see it in the bombsite. You can make minor adjustments to your flight path at this time but let me warn you that if you are to far off of your intended target and have to make large flight path adjustments you probably will not hit what your aiming at. if you are lined up then it's time for the final step. as you get closer to the target hit your zoom key again and make sure you are zoomed all the way in. As the crosshairs approach the target release your bombs just as the crosshairs begin to go over the target or even a couple feet before they cross over.

5. Once you've made your pass hit the "F5" key to go external and the "ins or 0" key on your keypad to look down. You will be able to see as your planes pass over the target exactly where your bombs are hitting. Once you've seen where they hit, you can hit your "Z" key to unzoom and return to step 2 and start your second pass.

Hope this helps anyone who is having as much trouble as I did with this new targetting system. Happy flying to all!

DW58