Author Topic: Combat Trim vs. EZ Mode  (Read 252 times)

Renfield

Combat Trim vs. EZ Mode
« on: September 03, 2000, 12:31:00 PM »
EZ Mode in WB allowed extended performance, slower stalls, better cornering, more E-retention in a zoom - more cartoonish behavior all around. And iEN got dinged for it pretty hard when everyone found out it had been running in the MA. No doubt that HTC is acutely aware of the delicate issue here.

My hope is that all Combat Trim does is help keep the plane in trim. I believe HT even said this in the arena yesterday.

I think making some way for newbies to get in and get hooked without getting beat up by the complexity is a good thing. Can there be some way to wean them off of it though? Some way to prevent the dweebs from using the concessions to easier flight as an advantage?

If this works, maybe it is a way for more complexity to be added to the sim - some of the engine management issues people have asked for, etc. Lighten the load for the newbies but move them into the full-sim as they learn?

Nobody ever put a fresh cadet into a P-51 and sent him into battle without training. OK, so the Japanese did essentially that, but their guys didn't last very long.  

But with training, we put guys into 51's, 47's, 38's, etc. and they did damn well flying the real planes. No P-38 or P-51 flew like a Stearman though.

[This message has been edited by Renfield (edited 09-03-2000).]